So, Crackling... Please Chime In!

• mitchiemasha,

Thanks you for taking the time to create such a comprehensive reply. However, the crackling that is being discussed in this thread has been confirmed by Access support on a TI2 and a Mac and relates to either resource shortages (on the part of the Virus) or something else yet to be determined. The biggest point to note is that users are getting crackles when running Virus Control that do not happen in stand alone and that these crackles are not (necessarily) related to compatibility issues.

• mitchiemasha,

Thanks you for taking the time to create such a comprehensive reply. However, the crackling that is being discussed in this thread has been confirmed by Access support on a TI2 and a Mac and relates to either resource shortages (on the part of the Virus) or something else yet to be determined. The biggest point to note is that users are getting crackles when running Virus Control that do not happen in stand alone and that these crackles are not (necessarily) related to compatibility issues.

... or being resource intensive.

• Was there even an update on this?

I've only had my TI keyboard a couple of weeks and have noticed this crackling on a few patches in standalone mode. (I haven't A/B'd with VC mode yet).

The patches are not particularly complex or voice intensive as far as I'm aware...

• aphemia: The crackles are usually all-or-nothing. Generally speaking, complex patches do not crackle. They simply steal the resources they need from other voices by ending them before their time. So, if you experience crackles on one patch you will most certainly continue to experience them on other patches, and in this case you will have to reconsider the way you connect USB devices to your computer. One exception though, in some patches I have experienced occasional clipping distortion around the oscillators/ring modulation stage that was cured by lowering the oscillator/ring modulation volume. Is that what you are experiencing?

• I'm coming into this one at a late stage. I have found a lot of my presets have become more unstable with each new OS (i put it down to just getting slightly less polyphony each time). Some presets seem to crackle as a sort of sub 1 note polyphony, or failure to kill voices that can't be properly processed or something, I don't know if this is related to the discussion at all.

If I catch my virus doing it again (I have tweaked a lot of my presets to use slightly less CPU to fix them already), then I will be happy to share presets. Also when using ring mod the filters can destabilise and create loud ringing noises, but that's an entirely different issue I have already submitted about a long time ago.

Edit: I'll add that these days its just the Virus not syncing to my sound cards clock properly so the crackling is only over S/PDIF, I can fix it by setting my sound card to slave off the S/PDIF, however...