And This Time With Feeling: A Patch Editor Version of VC!!!

• What I can't fathom is why/how the direct outs in Virus Control still cause glitches. When I first started posting about this months ago Marc seemed to suggest that using the analog outs from Virus Control would somehow bypass the program's handling of audio. This is clearly not the case as the glitches remain.

Seriously Access, do something about this.

• Are we having an issue with audio being routed through the USB, or some complicated DINOSAUR PROGRAM that tries to take care of everything, but HOGS THE BANDWIDTH, no matter what simple patch or controller is playing?

We really do need a simple TEMPORARY SOLUTION. We need to be able to turn the USB-audio transmission engine off. This would ease up the USB bandwidth.

So we need the option for USB VST-MIDI control ONLY, & HARDWARE AUDIO OUTS like my NORD G2. Would be nice to send a kick or rather... MIDI-BAR-START PULSES from the DAW Sequencer to run SIDE-CHAIN COMP in VIRUS TI hardware (better).

Maybe ACCESS needs to make the bitch firewire..!!!??? :love:

• Maybe ACCESS needs to make the bitch firewire..!!!??? :love:

FireWire is not the magical answer to this problem like everyone thinks it is. UAD2 Satellite (which is FireWire) eats massive bandwidth too, induces huge latency, and if you have too many things on the chain (like an audio interface and an external HDD) it'll start crapping out too.

Why don't you just SELL the "bitch" (you'll get all your money back, these things retain their value)...if you really want to make a statement.

• As much as I hate to admit it, I have to add my +1 to this too.

The setup does WORK, but it's slightly problematic and the 4095 sample latency is very hard to work with, even with ADC/PDC, low latency mode, and all the tricks.

I know why Access won't do this though. They think it will not be "totally integrated" anymore. As far as I'm concerned (and I'm sure most of you too), I still think it would be totally integrated if it controlled the whole synth, minus the audio!

All we need is another plugin in the plugins directory. Call it "Virus TI Direct" if you want. It's the exact same VC, but with no audio capability (permanently switched to Direct Monitoring mode). Thus no latency.

The VC is so good that even without audio it still is way ahead of anything the competition is offering. WAY ahead (I've tried some of them).

I'm not gonna talk out of my ass and say "it should be easy to do". No one except Access can ever say if this is easy or hard. But maybe it's something Access could consider as the next feature priority...if for nothing else than to shut us all up!

• Thanks for the input Suges.

So are you suggesting that latency is your only issue with Virus Control? It was like that for me for several years but over the last year I have gotten crackling and audio glitches to a degree that makes it nearly impossible to get a single part into audio. The direct outs do not solve this problem for me, but using the Virus through midi does. Jorg at Access Music has confirmed this behavior.

• Thanks for the input Suges.

So are you suggesting that latency is your only issue with Virus Control? It was like that for me for several years but over the last year I have gotten crackling and audio glitches to a degree that makes it nearly impossible to get a single part into audio. The direct outs do not solve this problem for me, but using the Virus through midi does. Jorg at Access Music has confirmed this behavior.

What's up SOS! Latency is the only thing that bugs me, yeah. I've never had crackling but I spent a long time making the "perfect" USB path from the TI to the computer (I have a whole writeup about this somewhere on this forum). I have no idea how you could still have crackling if you use the Direct Outs?! Man if Jorg can't fix it nobody can. Although mind you: if something's wrong in your USB path (causing crackles, thus some kind of bandwidth problem), just switching to Direct will probably not fix it, because the plugin is still trying to maintain a streaming USB audio connection (even though you're not using it). You can tell, because it still induces latency. In our "Virus TI Direct" plugin proposal, there's NO audio streaming of any kind. You HAVE to use the Direct Outs.

I don't know about you guys but even if everything was perfect, I'd still like a Direct plugin. I would rather run the TI through my nice converters but yet still control the Virus through a plugin.

Anyways bro if you're using a Mac I can try to help you troubleshoot the issue. Gotten pretty good at stabilizing the Virus. If you have Windows I sadly don't know anything about it...

• Hey Suges,

Thanks for the offer to help but alas, I am using Windows 7.

Interesting point about an error in the usb path interfering with Virus Control's ability to correctly utilize the direct outs. Still, Jorg was able to produce crackling (with a very resource heavy patch that I gave him) through usb and the direct outs with a TI2 running on a Mac. He also confirmed that the crackling was not present in stand alone, suggesting that VC is definitely doing something to the audio even when using the direct outs. Jorg suggested that the audio glitches I'm hearing are resulting from voice stealing, but I'm having issues with single factory presets that never gave me problems before.

Anyways, I agree that a ton of users would be happy with a version of Virus Control that leaves the audio untouched.

• Very nice input Suges. As a user experiencing crackling sound, I could not agree with you more. A VC plugin simply for editing without any audio passing capabilities is the ultimate dream come true. I too get crackles using the direct outs through VC and only by using the Ti through oldskool midi am I fine. This makes editing patches a hell of a lot harder/longer, now introduces timing issues due to the delay from recording the Ti parts to audio while everything else ITB is being dumped from a different timing source, not a fun experience overall.

• SOS

This might be a long shot, but I was having major crackling issues in my audio after I changed my Power Options settings to "high performance" in Windows 7 (under the recommendation of A Focusrite video I saw on how to optimize Windows for home studios). I was going crazy, but after a lot of trial and error I figured out that changing the power option setting (under hardware and sound in the control panel) to "Balanced", everything has been quiet as a mouse. Hopefully this helps...

• Ya, me too. I watched lots of videos/read lots of information from manufacturers stating to set the CPU to high performance for best use. In fact, Steinberg had an option in newer Cubsae releases to automatically switch to this power profile when the application is in use. I am not getting my hopes up this will work, but will try it none the less.

• So this morning I decided to try changing my power profile to balanced and guess what?! It did jack shit for the crackles I deal with! Exactly the outcome I expected actually, good thing I never got my hopes up. SOS, you try and find the same?

• Yeah, same thing here. While I was grateful for the suggestion, I didn't expect much as Jorg had already confirmed crackling issues related to voice stealing.

voice stealing. I get this shit from a single patch, single note, 1 bar showing on the intensity meter. No voice stealing going on here.

• Zitat

voice stealing. I get this shit from a single patch, single note, 1 bar showing on the intensity meter. No voice stealing going on here.

Yeah, I have had a similar experience. I tried to communicate this to Access, but the only advice they could give me was to watch my voice count.

VC is unusable for me.

• This may be slightly OT but apart from jorg is there anybody else that is offically on access support? I know this guy marc chimes in now & again & then passes the buck to the 'official' access support team but seriously I think its just this one poor bastard dealing with everything...no wonder it sucks soooo bad. Feel free to speak up any of the other access support droids, or have you all been terminated already? Its about time we got some real answers from somebody apart from these 2 jokers who just continually blow smoke up everyone's ass.

• I really have to agree that a version of Virus Control which disables USB audio altogether and just takes care of the editing/automation portion of the Virus is long overdue.
    (As I think many users would prefer to use external sound cards anyway)

I loved Virus Control early on, it was the main reason I upgraded to the TI, but I have given up and gone back to running it over MIDI instead. I only fire up VC to edit arps now, which is sad.

As for Access not wanting to implement a "No Internal Audio" feature because they would view it as the "failure" of Total Integration.... Users resorting to the old school MIDI method of running their Viruses IS already the failure of Total Integration.

We would all like a stable workable solution; not a marketing angle...

You have another vote for a NO AUDIO VC!!!

and if the guys at reKon audio are listening I think you have a potentially very lucrative product on your hands!! The Virus PI (Partial Integration) :D

• This may be slightly OT but apart from jorg is there anybody else that is offically on access support? I know this guy marc chimes in now & again & then passes the buck to the 'official' access support team but seriously I think its just this one poor bastard dealing with everything...no wonder it sucks soooo bad. Feel free to speak up any of the other access support droids, or have you all been terminated already? Its about time we got some real answers from somebody apart from these 2 jokers who just continually blow smoke up everyone's ass.

you're right, we have only one support person, and even he's on part time. we don't get an enormous amount of support inquiries.
    the joker

• A VC patch editor with no audio would be a great feature, I've been struggling with my TI for years that I rarely use it now.

It might be a bit harsh to say, but I feel that I've been a "bit" ripped off when I purchased the TI1 when it first came out. I've never been able to really integrate it into my studio because of latency issues etc, even though I've really honestly wanted it to work well in my setup. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate all the work and effort that Access have done and no other company would spend all this time and effort developing an OS for a synthlike they have done. However, sometimes the simple tried and tested features/solutions makes a product extra special and a simple patch editor would do this for the Virus.

I would love the day I get some real insperation and I just jump onto the TI and bosh - out comes something I'm really happy with rather than worrying and fighting with it.

Please Access, consider something like this.

Cheers,
    Simon :thumbup:

• I hate these forums sometimes... Marc is just doing his job, have a bit of respect for the guy!!! Im sure half the problems on this forum are due to "user error" and "config problems" of your own equipment. He does what he can, and tries to answer as many peoples problems as poss from what i read...

Although, i see where some people are coming from wanting VC without USB.. it would be great to have both options, but with a bit of foresight you can overcome most of these problems yourselves using different set ups. There will never be a "one solution suits all" scenario.. we all have different requirements and equipment...

Give the guy a break!... Roland, Yamaha, Korg etc... do not offer anywhere near this kind of support... :thumbup: