Using Virus Ti as VST

• I'm a little confused about using Virust TI as VST plugin in DAW (i.e. Ableton Live). Normally I load VST into each track, add MIDI data, choose preset. Virust TI doesn't let me add more than one instance, and from what I gather I need to assign each truck to one of 16 MIDI channels in the plugin. That works, however I now don't have any way to control volumes and automation curves of all tracks individually :( Am I'm missing something?

• The best way to sequence individual Virus parts in Live is to use the "external instrument" plugin. However, as you've noticed, you are then forced to automate each Virus part on the track that the Virus is actually loaded in.

One workaround for this (although it's quite limited) is to assign midi numbers to the 3 soft knobs (i.e. 9, 12 etc.) and correspondingly in the matrix to the parameter you want to automate. You can also use the mod wheel and predesignated midi controls such as cc7 for volume.

One drawback to all this is that you can't automate clocked lfos in realtime (through assigning a control in the matrix), so you actually have to assign the clock setting with Live's "configure" button (meaning your automation is confined to the first track).

• Thanks again SOS! That's really sad news to me :( I use automation curves a lot, so this means I'll probably will have to render each instrument to wav, which kind of defeats whole idea of "Total Integration". If I knew this before I'd get a 1st generation of Ti and save $500... Oh well...

• Actually I figured it out! Phew! :) You can record automation of different parts in Ableton! It's just they all will be on single track where plugin resides. Once you select one of 16 channels in Virus control VST new automation item will appear on the track (i.e. "Part02/[2] Filter 1 Cutoff" and so on). I'm so happy this is possible!!! 8o
    In the image below I'm automating Cuttoff Filter in two different parts.
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://www.clickglide.com/pics/virusti_automation.png]