Logic 9.1.4 virus going crazy

• hey guys I´m sure this topic has been discussed somewhere already but i just wanted to know if somebody got a fix for the following problems.
    I use the Ti with Cubase 6.0.2, Ableton live 8.2.2 and Logic Pro 9.1.4
    Cubase & Live work quite well but working in Logic isn´t fun at all due to the following issues:

issue 1: patches with arpeggios & synchronized modulations often play back totally out of time
    issue 2: when I press stop I often get stuck notes that lead into total crazyness with the ti randomly playing notes like crazy
    this often can only be resolved by hitting play/stop several times & hitting panic on the virus several times and sometimes even leads to the virus not playing any sound at all, in which case I have to restart Logic.

this is so annoying,

• Here's another thread with posts on this topic:

http://virus.info/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=2676

But let's keep your new thread going to address these specific issues in Logic.

I have exactly the same issues that you report when trying to run the Virus Control plug-in in Logic. It's beyond annoying, bordering on deceptive marketing to say that this even works at all in Logic.

I have 20+ years experience working in the MI (Musical Instrument) industry. I have developed content for some of the most popular products in this space and as a Product Manager at one of the leading companies helped design a software sampler.

So I know a thing or two about this stuff. And I what I do know is that Virus Control is a total POS and that Access should be embarrassed to even release such crap. I would get fired if I released a buggy, non-functional product like this (and then spent 5 years pulling peoples' chains with promises that the next update is going to solve their problems).

Not cool.

Synths: D-550, EX-8000, Matrix-1000, Microwave, Microwave XT, MKS-50, MKS-80, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pro One, Prophet '08 Rack, Pulse, Pulse 2, Shruthi, TX7, Virus kb, XV-5080, Maschine
    Computer: Core i7-970 3.20 GHz Hexacore, ASUS P6X58-E PRO, ATI FirePro 2460 quad head, RME RayDAT w/4x Alesis AI3, 2x MOTU MIDI Express 128, Cubase 7.5

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MusicMaven ()

• Strange i dont have any current issues with my virus in logic 9.1.4. When i updated to 9.1.4 i did have an issue with notes holding but i just updated the virus to the latest beta and that cleared that.

I previously owned a TI1 keyboard and now have a TI2 desktop and have had very few problems with both. I usually find if im having a problem with the virus that there is usually something that it causing the virus to behave like that its generally not a problem with the virus itself.

What interface are you using? Are you using any midi controllers? Do you have midi and usb plugged in at the same time? What virus OS are you running?

2x2.8 Quad core intel Xeon Mac pro , OSX 10.6.8 8gb Ram, Logic 9.1.5, Motu 828mk3, Virus TI2 Desktop

• Here's my setup:

* iMac Core i7 with 12 GB RAM running latest version of Snow Leopard
    * Virus TI2 keyboard running the latest OS (4.5.0.16) connected directly to port 1 on the iMac
    * Logic Pro v9.1.4 running in 64-bit mode with 32-bit bridge running various plug-ins (e.g., Albino, Sylenth, etc.) that are not available in 64-bit versions
    * MOTU 828mk3 audio interface connected via Firewire 800
    * Two Alesis AI3 8-channel audio I/O units connected to the MOTU via standard lightpipe connectors
    * 7-port current model Belkiin USB2 hub plugged into USB port 4 on the iMac. The hub is attached to the following devices:
    - emagic AMT8 MIDI interface
    - USB dongles for various plug-ins (VSL, etc.)
    - Receiver for Logitech USB wireless mouse
    * Two slave PCs running Vienna Symphonic Library and connected via MIDI to the AMT 8
    * Various hardware synths connected to the AMT via MIDI:
    - Dave Smith Poly Evolver Rack
    - Dave Smith Prophet '08 Rack
    - Nord Rack
    - Nord Rack 3
    - Oberheim Matrix-1000
    - Waldorf MicroWave
    - Waldorf Pulse

I have tried EVERY possible manner of connecting the Virus (different USB port combinations, hub/no-hub, using analog outs, etc.) every possible setting in Logic (processor buffer sizes, latency compensation on/off, etc.,) every possible setting in the MOTU interface (different latencies, clock rates, clock sources, etc). NOTHING works.

After more than a month of dicking around with this, I have come to the painful conclusion that the Virus Control plug-in simply does not work with my model iMac and Logic. There is literally nothing else I can try at this point. So I have a few options:

• Sell the TI and go back to using my Virus Kb
    • Use the TI via MIDI only (which works perfectly well with no LFO/arpeggiator syncing issues whatsover except I have to forgo the rich editing interface of the Virus Control software - the reason I upgraded from my trusty Virus Kb in the first place)
    • Sell my iMac and pay an additional 3 grand to purchase a separate 27" Apple Display and Mac Pro tower with "direct" USB ports (i.e., no hubs)

I would seriously consider #3 except I have no faith that this will work either.

Synths: D-550, EX-8000, Matrix-1000, Microwave, Microwave XT, MKS-50, MKS-80, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pro One, Prophet '08 Rack, Pulse, Pulse 2, Shruthi, TX7, Virus kb, XV-5080, Maschine
    Computer: Core i7-970 3.20 GHz Hexacore, ASUS P6X58-E PRO, ATI FirePro 2460 quad head, RME RayDAT w/4x Alesis AI3, 2x MOTU MIDI Express 128, Cubase 7.5

10 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MusicMaven ()

• GREAT setup you have there ;)
    I guess that it's just too much i/o for Logic to follow.
    I fear upgrading your mac won't help too much. You could check if it works with another software (e.g. Ableton Live). I have the slight feeling that Logic + multiple Audio interfaces (which the TI wants to be) just don't match that well. And no, I wouldn't let go of Logic, either... but just maybe worth a try.
    Good luck!

• completely agree with what you guys are saying.
    The Virus TI is an amazing synth and the absolute go to machine. But the integration with Logic 9 is making it really hard to use. Sometimes it works well, then other times it has a complete mind of its own and will play random noises. Sometimes loses sync etc. The integration is not reliable enough to be using in sessions. We are all getting very bored of hitting start and stop all the time and the panic button to try and get it to stabilise. Logic is such a major DAW, for all us loyal Virus users please sort these bugs out, we all seem to be battling the same problems here!!

• those crazy sounds u have sound like a midi feedback, values jump channels and are editing different parameters.

This is most definitely NOT a MIDI feedback problem. It is apparently a USB driver & bandwidth issue made worse by something in Logic's architecture.

• GREAT setup you have there ;)
    I guess that it's just too much i/o for Logic to follow.
    I fear upgrading your mac won't help too much. You could check if it works with another software (e.g. Ableton Live). I have the slight feeling that Logic + multiple Audio interfaces (which the TI wants to be) just don't match that well. And no, I wouldn't let go of Logic, either... but just maybe worth a try.
    Good luck!

Thanks for the comment regarding my setup. I feel like I finally have the "perfect" collection of gear (for me). It's a lot of fun. :)

That's a really good suggestion to try running Virus Control in another DAW just to see if these issues are Logic-specific or instead have something to do with the number of audio channels/inputs in my setup. I have a copy of Cubase 5. I'll fire that up and give it a go. I would imagine that Cubase is probably the one DAW that is most likely to work.

Even if this doesn't work, I've made the decision to hang on to the TI. It really is a great-sounding synth and has a nice keyboard action (and looks cool as well!) I have been using the TI via MIDI only and creating my multis and doing basic patch edits from the front panel. It's a little clunky, and too menu-driven at times. But at least it works reliably (flawlessly in fact). :)

5 Mal editiert, zuletzt von MusicMaven ()