OS 4.5.1 Beta Discussion

• A couple of days ago we've released a new public beta of OS 4.5.1 - we are interested in your feedback. The following has changed in this version:

About TIOS 4.5.1.15 Public Beta

Resolved issues, refinements and new features:

VC: missing background of sub oscillator waveform buttons
    VC: Chorus Mix knob on Easy page not functional when using new chorus types
    VC: white ring around Chorus Mix knob missing
    VC: Patches not writable on OS X when working as non-admin user
    VC: warning message regarding side chaining did not offer the "don't show again" option
    VC: Browser search could not be reset on some hosts
    VC: saving patches to read-only libraries wrongly appeared to work
    VC: check and warning for buffer size related issues
    VC: mouse cursor did not indicate if drag&drop target could accept the dragged patch
    VC: recently saved remote templates not visible in Load menu
    IN: New Logic Pro Tutorial based on Logic 9
    IN: (Windows) Tutorial song and documentation for Cakewalk Sonar
    IN: (Mac) New location for user patches
    SE: Tightness of Arp timing improved
    SE: Rotary speaker underwent internal improvements
    HI: Panic also works on store pages
    HI: (Snow) Arp Mode, Input Select, Input Mode, Lfo Phase, Pan-Spread, Unison-Detune, Unison-Mode, Ringmod Volume are working again as expected

Known issues:
    Side chaining into audio instruments is currently not supported in Steinberg Cubase.

The new Public Beta version can be downloaded here: http://www.virus.info/start/
    The official Virus TI facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/accessvirus

• SE: Tightness of Arp timing improved

I haven't worked with it too much since the new patch but this was the first thing I checked & the Arp is much improved over the previous version - it's now tighter than the tightest tight thing 8)

• Zitat

VC: check and warning for buffer size related issues

I received an error message about my buffer sizes because I use the Emu 1616m which (for some reason) only allows for really strange buffer settings.

What are the implications of using incompatible buffer settings (which I have been all along)?

I'm pretty sure my crackling issue isn't derived from this issue as Jorg was able to reproduce crackling on a resource intensive patch with a TI2. Nonetheless, I seem to be getting much more crackling than ever before and the audio buffer seems to be a likely suspect (although I have also tested the TI as a soundcard to no avail).

• Did some tests tonight:

Testenvironment:
    Windows 7 64bit Sp1 (No fancy graphics on) / Cubase 5.5.3 64 bit / Two Steinberg MR816's (1CSX 1 X) / i7 2600 with 4gbram DDR3 and gigabyte H67mobo / Virus TI1 on onboard USB2.0 socket / Mouse on other USB3.0 socket / PS/2 keyboard / UAD1-pci / UAD2-duo-pci-express / etc
    If you need more info, PM me or mail me.

1. VC: missing background of sub oscillator waveform buttons - ok
    2. VC: Chorus Mix knob on Easy page not functional when using new chorus types - ok
    3. VC: white ring around Chorus Mix knob missing - ok
    4. VC: Patches not writable on OS X when working as non-admin user - can't test
    5. VC: warning message regarding side chaining did not offer the "don't show again" option - ok (with minor gui problem, probably due to windows gfx off)
    6. VC: Browser search could not be reset on some hosts - ok
    7. VC: saving patches to read-only libraries wrongly appeared to work - not tested
    8. VC: check and warning for buffer size related issues - ok
    9. VC: mouse cursor did not indicate if drag&drop target could accept the dragged patch - ok
    10. VC: recently saved remote templates not visible in Load menu - fixed
    11. IN: New Logic Pro Tutorial based on Logic 9 - can't test
    12. IN: (Windows) Tutorial song and documentation for Cakewalk Sonar - It's there, but don't have Sonar
    13. IN: (Mac) New location for user patches - Can't test
    14. SE: Tightness of Arp timing improved - OK, very good
    15. SE: Rotary speaker underwent internal improvements - Sounds good
    16. HI: Panic also works on store pages - I almost never use the Panic button
    17. HI: (Snow) Arp Mode, Input Select, Input Mode, Lfo Phase, Pan-Spread, Unison-Detune, Unison-Mode, Ringmod Volume are working again as expected - Have a TI1

18. Request of the forum: I'm unable to modulate distortion intensity with either envelope. Can someone confirm? - nope, i have no problems. can't reproduce via the modmatrix

19. Tweaked some soundsets, some new sounds etc etc. via the VC and via the hardware itself, no problems so far.

Thing I must say is that the poly performance is nowadays kinda low on a TI1. And for 25% I won't buy a TI2, so I'm waiting for a real powerhouse ;) (I make patches that are gone after 5 notes ;()

• I received an error message about my buffer sizes because I use the Emu 1616m which (for some reason) only allows for really strange buffer settings.

I have the same problem.
    I have a Focusrite Saffire pro 10 and I can not change the buffer size to 64, 128, 256 or 512 samples.
    The Asio control panel of the focusrite only alllows me to set latency (Asio buffer size) in ms. (milliseconds).

I have no (noticible) problems with this release or previous releases, so must I ignore the warning or is there something else I can do?

Cheers

• I received an error message about my buffer sizes because I use the Emu 1616m which (for some reason) only allows for really strange buffer settings.

What are the implications of using incompatible buffer settings (which I have been all along)?

I'm pretty sure my crackling issue isn't derived from this issue as Jorg was able to reproduce crackling on a resource intensive patch with a TI2. Nonetheless, I seem to be getting much more crackling than ever before and the audio buffer seems to be a likely suspect (although I have also tested the TI as a soundcard to no avail).

Same here with the EMU 0404. Unfortunately the EMU support couldn't tell me the corresponding buffer size values, or whether they are considering to add a buffer sample size option :(

I've coded a small application to check the buffer size, and assuming i got it right it looks like none of the available ms options (2ms to 745ms) results in a buffer size that would be a multiple of 64, so there's not even a chance to test whether any of the problems i'm experiencing with the TI is related to odd buffer sizes :( ²

• I have the same problem.
    I have a Focusrite Saffire pro 10 and I can not change the buffer size to 64, 128, 256 or 512 samples.
    The Asio control panel of the focusrite only alllows me to set latency (Asio buffer size) in ms. (milliseconds).

I have no (noticible) problems with this release or previous releases, so must I ignore the warning or is there something else I can do?

Cheers

one of the side effects is that one component will double its latency. that doesn't mean that the entire latency doubles but it will increase unnecessarily. you can ignore the warning if you feel that your setup is working fine.

marc

• Thanks for the reply Marc.

Do you mean that playback latency (a midi sequence) will increase or is it the latency experienced while playing the keyboard (or both)? I have always felt that the latency while playing the Virus (via midi keyboard) felt excessive but figured it was due to usb issues. Perhaps it's been my soundcard all along?

• Thanks for the reply Marc.

Do you mean that playback latency (a midi sequence) will increase or is it the latency experienced while playing the keyboard (or both)? I have always felt that the latency while playing the Virus (via midi keyboard) felt excessive but figured it was due to usb issues. Perhaps it's been my soundcard all along?

first of all, the USB transmission does not create latency (at least not of a kind that i would count in here) because it cannot store date for a while. latency is always a delay and that's caused by something buffering data and release it later. i'm talking about recording latency, so the one you feel when you play the instrument. do you experience the same problem when you use the TI as your soundcard and select a buffer size of say 128 or even 64?
    marc

• Same here with the EMU 0404. Unfortunately the EMU support couldn't tell me the corresponding buffer size values, or whether they are considering to add a buffer sample size option :(

I've coded a small application to check the buffer size, and assuming i got it right it looks like none of the available ms options (2ms to 745ms) results in a buffer size that would be a multiple of 64, so there's not even a chance to test whether any of the problems i'm experiencing with the TI is related to odd buffer sizes :( ²

This is from the focusrite site and talks about protools and driver problem, but it's the same problem for the Virus Ti i think:
    I dit not try the solution yet (ASIOforALL)

Using one of the original Saffire units with Pro Tools 9 on a PC
    In order to use an original Saffire, Saffire LE, Saffire Pro 10, or Saffire Pro 26 with Pro Tools 9 on a PC, you will currently need to utilise third party driver software.

Pro Tools requires the drivers of audio devices to use one of a selection of specific buffer sizes, which are defined in number of samples. The buffer settings in the current drivers for the above products are defined in milliseconds (ms) and so it isn't possible to select an ASIO buffer size that is acceptable to Pro Tools.

There is however a third-party ASIO driver called ASIO4ALL, which can be downloaded from http://www.asio4all.com. This can be used with the Focusrite interfaces listed above instead of the Focusrite drivers (although please note that the Focusrite drivers should still be installed), and it uses buffer sizes specified in number of samples that are recognised by Pro Tools. This should enable the old Focusrite Saffire units to be utilised with Pro Tools 9 on a PC.

• I have been using ASIO4ALL for years now with great success. Generally always better than the stock drivers. Ability to enable/disable individual inputs and outputs, have multiple audio interfaces installed and used simultaneously, each with differing buffer settings makes it a real asset to have installed.

• I have the same problem.

Cheers

I replaced the Focusrite Saffire driver for the AISO4ALL driver so I can change the buffer size to the requested Virus bufffer size in samples (not ms)
    Error message gone and far better results!! :)
    Very tight timing and even lower latency then with the original driver. I can still use all my outputs and inputs of the soundcard (a lot of equipment is connected via "external instruments" in Cubase 5)

Maybe this is a solution for the Emu users as well

Cheers

• I also have this problem with my Edirol UA-1000 10 in 10 out interface, well... not a problem but occasionaly loses the driver in ASIO mode, and no longer available, but not a Virus issue i dont think. I will try AISO4ALL driver and select buffer size in samples instead of mS. seems timing is everything on Virus... makes logical sense i suppose.

On another note, the USB midi & Arp timing is very much improved in this beta release... impressed! :thumbup:

However... if i press "search" and select "input" i can no longer select any patches with inputs ;( it worked on last beta... unless im doin something silly?... all the other categories work though... wether usb is connected or not.

• I'm also a Emu 1616m user and I tested Asio4All.
    It does not matter which ASIO driver is selected, the crackings are audible when I use the VIRUS in sidechain.
    Even when I use the VIRUS as soundcard the crackings persist.

Setup LIVE 8.2.2 - Windows XP SP3

• I've been trying to work with the Virus this morning & I'm running into a couple of issues :(

First of all when trying to load up VC I'm getting a burst of background noise (it sounds like buzzing from a guitar amp) in the starting up screen which is showing up as -2.9db in Logics meters.

When that stops (which it doesn't always) & VC changes to the easy page Logic is giving me a warning message saying:

Zitat

Virus Control Warning

A communication error has occured. The Virus TI does not respond to request messages or the transmitted data is corrupt.

Please be aware that the RAM banks in the browser window will not correspond to the actual content in the device! Please check your system setup.

This is the first time I've tried to properly use the Virus since the update, other than testing the arp when it was first released. The only thing that's different from last time is I've rolled Logic back to 9.1.3 to avoid the ES2 LFO bug that's arisen with the 9.1.4 update.

This is happening every time I try to open a Multi out instance of VC

EDIT: I reset the Virus & rebooted the computer, now it has started to function normally again. :wacko:

• Hey Marc

Thanks for the info, I haven't tried a different USB port since I reset & rebooted everything has been fine - the Virus has been running constantly over the last 4 hours without a problem.

One thing that is still there, if I close & re-open VC I'm getting the buzzing noise in the starting up screen, it's nowhere near as loud as it was earlier today - now it's registering -43db on Logics meters using pre fader metering.

Ruari

• please post more details (hardware software version etc). i don't get a buzzing in logic but maybe that's setup dependent
    marc