Feature Request for this Forum

• Marc, would it be possible to add a link to the top of the forum that when you click it, it shows only the new posts to the forum since a user last visited?
    This would be a very useful feature that would save us a lot of time having to hunt and peck for new posts here.

• I think - if there is a link pointing to another web page (outside forum) it should open in new window
    And one more thing - it would be nice to link back to access web page from access logo on forum. It seems there are many other ways how to get to the first forum page, but none to access page - or am I mistaken?

• when i check into the forum i get a link to all the new posts. i don't know it's possible to have something similar restricted to a fraction of the forum. we're using a commercial forum software and as far as i know, this forum cannot be customised to this degree.

best, marc

If you're using commercial forum software and you CAN'T customize it you guys put your money in the wrong place lol. New website and the forum definitely have some usability problems and a couple very strange design decisions.

It's still an improvement over the old website though.

• It's small details aside from the lack of support for people who have javascript turned off, but I do this for a living so it's the kind of stuff that I know is important.

You guys are missing alt text on a LOT of images, you've got some (well, one, that I could spot) spots where the contrast between text and background color is waaaay too low. (pictured below) I can read it but I know for sure that there are other people/monitors that won't distinguish it well enough to be readable.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/5028/badcontrast.jpg]

Image code isn't working yet either (at least not in the preview mode on the forums).

The pop-out nav menu at the bottom should probably just stay opened if it's staying at the bottom of the page because the whole expanding thing doesn't really further the user experience at all, and just prevents you from being able to see what you're looking for until you move your mouse there. (Not everyone is even going to know to do that)

Essentially the whole section on the right with the boxes that act as links is going to be completely non-functional if the user has javascript turned off. Breaking news box and all.

Ditto for all your links that open the mp3 player in a new window. No graceful degradation if the user has javascript disabled the links just won't function.

I can also spot a few places where rollover images for things like the nav menu could have been combined and set up to use CSS Spriting instead of single images which would increase page load time and decrease server load.

Also not sure why you guys have the forum under the support section of the site, when the forum itself claims that it's not a support forum (when you register I believe). Shouldn't it be under community?

I can probably find more if I poke around the site more, but that will give you a good idea of the kind of things I'm talking about.

The website just feels unfinished to me, feels sort of thrown together and is lacking polish in quite a few places.

• sonis
    good good words and comments as always
    the site is perfect
    and the forum also

Oh god, you're that guy that got banned from the infekted.org forums aren't you? Chill out. I'm sure the Access boys do appreciate feedback on the website and potential problems with it from someone who works in the industry. Why would a company not want to know ways that they can make their corporate website more accessible and user friendly?

Also just wanted to point out the irony that the quote feature on the forums didn't work when you tried to quote me and say that the forums are perfect :P

• sonis, thanks for all your input. in some things, i totally agree, in other things, my knowledge is just to limited to comment on it. this site is online for only three days, i'm sure that we can improve it. and i'm sure that it is a quantum leap into the right direction compared to our old site :)

best, marc

No problem. Like I said, totally agree that it's way better than the old site, and I know it takes time to get things perfected. Especially on a large corporate site like this.

• I think this forum would be great if there was an area users can post links to share their virus patches / banks

I have loads I've made that I would happily share with people,

does anyone else agree?

we prefer to make user patches available as downloads from the main download area. if you have patches you would like to share, please contact us through the email support form

best, marc

• No problem. Like I said, totally agree that it's way better than the old site, and I know it takes time to get things perfected. Especially on a large corporate site like this.

sonis, are you okay with me sending you an email? we should talk about the details you've mentioned. but i cannot send you a private message through through the board and before i lookup your email (which i consider to be a private thing to a degree) i'd like to know if that's okay with you.

best, marc

• sonis, are you okay with me sending you an email? we should talk about the details you've mentioned. but i cannot send you a private message through through the board and before i lookup your email (which i consider to be a private thing to a degree) i'd like to know if that's okay with you.

best, marc

Yeah go for it.