Cannot record midi as audio, whatever I do (Cubase Artist 6 & Virus TI Snow)

• OK, so I have a small MIDI arrangement playing in Cubase. I've routed the sound back into the Inputs at the back of my Snow. I can see a signal is being recieved as the LED changes from a continuous pulse to a more erratic light.

I mute all other tracks, set up an Audio track in Cubase and make sure the Input is set to 'Access Virus TI stereo in' (the only option). Hit record in Cubase... nothing comes through.... Silence.

I've tried clicking stuff for HOURS, but cant get the audio to appear. Please can someone assist?

• Hay mate how you going.

I have the same problem, i have Cubase 5 on Pc using Windows Xp Service pack 3 and guess what mine dose not record it either...

To cut a long story short i was told that you need to export the Midi file as a Wave file and then inport them back in...

Longer process i know but thats what i have been doing....kinda sucks but i have tried everything also...

I can record straight Audio from a Midi track that i have my Jp 8080 in so the only thing i can think about is..

If you use the Virus TI as a out board Synth and use the Audio Jack outs them Maybe you can record BUT.

If your using the Virus like a VST with the VC then you have to export it out my friend.

Sorry about this.

Hope someone can prove me otherwise but this is the case.

Regards

Ray

Forgot to mention i also use a RME Firewire 800 so you wold think that would work but Nope...

Hope this helps.

• What exactly is playing your midi arrangement in Cubase? Whatever it is THIS is what you need to record. Midi has no sound, only data. Doh!

Not sure you understand what I'm trying to do, and apologise if I wasn't expressing myself simply enough. It's obviously the sound of the midi track I'm trying to bounce to audio.. i.e. what's coming out of the speakers. What I want to do is record this sound into an audio track. Also known as bouncing the audio I believe.

I have tried 2 different sound sources... Primarily, it's the Virus I want to bounce down to Audio. I've tried with another VSTi too and I have the same problem there. The audio track just records silence.

• been a looooooong time since I used Cubase but can you not just bus the audio from the vst to an audio track & record??? Pretty much all DAW's have this simple capability.

You'd think so eh? I've made sure I only have one bus set up in Cubase too so the sound isn't getting 'lost' to the wrong bus.

• Hey man. Thanks for your post! My Virus is connected via USB and am using Virus Control, yes. I'm also using it as my soundcard as I get horrible pops, clicks and timing problems when running with my 'proper' soundcard, a USB M-Audio device... there's just too much data for my PC's USB bus to handle there ( :cursing: ).

Above, you said "..... i was told that you need to export the Midi file as a Wave file and then inport them back in..". A couple of questions on that..

1. Who told you this? Was it Steinberg or Access? Am trying to work out which part of my setup has the limitation.
    2. Can you explain exactly how you go about exporting the Midi as a Wave file pls? I presume you're using a 3rd party piece of software?

Thanks.

• Not sure you understand what I'm trying to do, and apologise if I wasn't expressing myself simply enough. It's obviously the sound of the midi track I'm trying to bounce to audio.. i.e. what's coming out of the speakers. What I want to do is record this sound into an audio track. Also known as bouncing the audio I believe.

I have tried 2 different sound sources... Primarily, it's the Virus I want to bounce down to Audio. I've tried with another VSTi too and I have the same problem there. The audio track just records silence.

Yes I think so, I'm not sure you get what I mean about busses. You are not trying to bounce, this is recording ALL the tracks in your session onto a single stereo file typically. To record the VST you first need to set up a seperate audio track to record on. Then set the output of the VST track to say bus 1 & 2 if its stereo, Then set the input of the audio track to the same busses 1 & 2. Record enable the audio track & play the vst. The audio from the VST should now be going to the audio track which you can now record. Its been soooo long since I used Cubase that I cannot give you any detailed instructions but this is basically how its done in most DAW's & hardware mixers.

• Yes I think so, I'm not sure you get what I mean about busses. You are not trying to bounce, this is recording ALL the tracks in your session onto a single stereo file typically. To record the VST you first need to set up a seperate audio track to record on. Then set the output of the VST track to say bus 1 & 2 if its stereo, Then set the input of the audio track to the same busses 1 & 2. Record enable the audio track & play the vst. The audio from the VST should now be going to the audio track which you can now record. Its been soooo long since I used Cubase that I cannot give you any detailed instructions but this is basically how its done in most DAW's & hardware mixers.

Yep. I've done all this, but the DAW doesn't give me the option to select an output for one track as an input for another! ... to explain... I have set the output of the VST to bus 1 & 2 (actually named 'Built in Audio' on my computer) , but when I attempt to set this as the input to the Audio track, I'm not given this option - only the input that is set up in Cubases VST connections page , called 'Access Virus Stereo IN'. ?(

• Yo bro

Yeah that kinda sucks about the pops and clicks man, later on try buying a out board soundcard rather than using the Virus ti as a sound card and see if that works....never know it might be worth a shot...

OK to export a Midi file to make it as a Wave, all you need to do it this...

1.....Select your left and right Arrow markers (make sure its blue) to the selected Midi file.

2..go to File, thats on your Top left of the screen, then Export, Audio Mixdown.

3...Name the File, Path is desktop if you want, File Format is WAVE FILE...

4...Tick real time Export

Keep the file at 44.100 khz for the sample rate and also keep it at 32 Bit (float)

5..Press Export.

SImple..

any probs just PM me mate :)

• Yep. I've done all this, but the DAW doesn't give me the option to select an output for one track as an input for another! ... to explain... I have set the output of the VST to bus 1 & 2 (actually named 'Built in Audio' on my computer) , but when I attempt to set this as the input to the Audio track, I'm not given this option - only the input that is set up in Cubases VST connections page , called 'Access Virus Stereo IN'. ?(

To be honest mate I really think you need to RTFM...Its all there & the built in audio is NOT a bus...I give up,,,

• All good mate, glad i could help :).

Believe me i have the same problem and the Exporting is the only way around it ay...

If i EVER find out the simple way i will post it on here ASAP LOL...

Regards

Ray

• Hi sorry to hijack this thread but I'm having a similar problem as well.

I use Logic 9. I've tried both exporting the midi file as a .wav and then putting it into a channel, and I've tried bouncing the midi file. Is there something else I'm supposed to be doing in order for this to work? If I use a random instrument instead of the VirusTI2, both of these methods work.

Thanks for the help,
    Zlaught

• Hello everyone,
    The problem here for "Babylon303" was an incorrect setup inside his Cubase Artist 6 program. We were in touch also directly via email in support.
    I sent him the Virus TI Snow & Cubase tutorial song, which already played back fine. Just in case for people who forgot that, the general setup in Cubase needs to be done like this:

- load the Virus TI Control / Virus TI Snow Control plugin into the VST Instruments panel of Cubase
    - Cubase then will ask you if you want to create a Midi track
    - affirm this
    - next create additional Midi tracks set to different Midi channels, but make sure they are also routed to the Midi out port "Virus TI"
    (which is the "Virus Ti" plugin in the VST Instruments panel)
    - now you can also activate the additional outputs of the Virus TI / Virus TI Snow Control plugin in the VST Instruments panel, given you need more than
    one stereo out.

Once this was figured out with "Babylon303" I explained that he needs to use the "audio mixdown" function of Cubase to print the song to a new audio file. There's no need to rerecord the audio to an audio track, which in fact is more cumbersome than using the "audio mixdown" function of Cubase instead.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• i actually use a "demo" version of cubase 6 AI to test if it runs smooth with my windows xp sp3 pc.

The last few days, my pc often "freezes" completely and i have to hard restart it.. damn &$§".

I think i am fed up with windows as music computer, will go for apple mini for my little songwritingz...

Anyway, i CAN NOT export Virus TI Midifile-Tracks to "audio" with the "File... Export Audio.." Feature known when i want to "freeze" midi tracks of vst software synths to audio-tracks in cubase. There comes a message from virus that this is not supported.

Whats up, what means "TI" total integration, if i can not convert the virus midi tracks in cubase to audio tracks in cubase???

confused...