NEW VIRUS OS 4.5.1.15 PROBLEM???

• Hello,

VIRUS TI SNOW
    Cubase5
    Windows7 64bit

Everything was fine for months, but after installing the new OS update version 4.5.1.15, the virus is out of sync in cubase5. Some sort of latency issue or something. I have the virus as the ASIO driver and have tried all of the available buffer sizes, and nothing changes. I have a dual quad core xeon system with 12gb of ram, so i'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with processing power or memeory as far as the PC goes... Any suggestions? Other than turning snap off and draggin the notes to the left till they're in time. ;)

Thanks for you time

• I sent support an email, if i can come up with a solution i'll post it here. Let me know if you figure anything out

thanks

• What's the exact version of Cubase 5 you're currently operating and did you reset the TI Snow after the OS got installed?
    Also does going back to the last OS you had installed beforehand immediately reverse this issue again?

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Cubase 5 Version 5.0.1 build 147, Yes I did reset the Virus after the update. I have not tried reverting back to the previous OS yet, and you are actually the one who has contacted me from technical support on this issue. Thank you for all your help.

• On a side note: I would strongly recommend to update Cubase 5.0.1 to a more up-to-date version. You can go even up to 5.5.3 without having to pay for any of these updates. Only the update to Cubase 6 would obviously cost you.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• hehe... right after i posted what version of cubase i was using i went to the steinberg update site and updated to version 5.5.3 which has actually helped my situation a bit. I can now play the virus in time as long as i am using the analog outs. Still out of sync if i'm using the usb outs....

• This would basically mean you switched off the plugin delay compensation in Cubase. I think this is called "constrain delay compensation" in Cubase (I'm not at my rig right now). I'm mentioning this since it normally is exactly the other way around: the USB audio stream is sample-acurate, but the timing of the analog outs is off (since they can't be delay compensated due to technical restrictions).

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• I just had a listen with constrain delay compensation enabled and disabled and they do not change anything. Analog out seems to be in sync, but the usb out is out of sync by about 3/64ths

• I just updated my motherboards USB drivers which has helped slightly. I can now set my buffer size to 128 with functionality. Also, the sync problem is slightly better. Using the Out1 L+R, the virus plays in time. Using the USB1 L+R it is only slightly out of time, maybe 1/64th. Only thing i could still update would be the motherboards bios, but i have some reservations about doing that. What do you think? Worth a shot, or should i just downgrade to the last working VirusOS?

• I would try upgrading the bios personally. I have done this many times without issue. It may do nothing for you, but you may be surprised to. The engineers aren't payed to waste time coding the bios for nothing. There is a reason it is done, and generally it is to benefit the end user through enhancements, compatibility improvements, performance improvements etc.

• i agree with you, and i will probably end up updating the bios. Just makes me a wee bit nervous when the download link for my bios update says....

WARNING!
    Please do not download / upgrade the BIOS/Firmware UNLESS your
    system has a BIOS/firmware-related issue. Flashing the wrong
    BIOS/firmware can cause irreparable damage to the system.

• Yes, I know, all manufacturers state that, it is a safety net so they can't be held liable in case something goes wrong. Possible yes, highly unlikely however, especially in this day and age where most motherboards have safeguards, backups etc. Just make sure you download the latest bios for your EXACT model and revision and follow the flashing instructions to the T and you should be fine. Be sure to clear CMOS via jumper/battery removal, unplug psu from wall while doing this to make sure all power is completely drained. Once back into the bios load optimized defaults to be given a clean slate based on the new flash to worth with then configure and save as you like. Voila. The bios flashing is only a one time thing. Once it is on your board it is there never to worry about again unelss a newer revision comes out which is probably not going to happen if your board is older as support is dropped to spend time on newer boards.

• hmmmm... that's slightly more involved than i had planned. I have updated the bios in previous MOBOs i've had and I dont ever remember having to clear CMOS or remove the battery. Anywho, I'm gonna hold off for a bit and see if another solution presents itself. I've gotten it pretty close to being in time now with the help of jorg and by updating cubase and all my drivers, but for some reason using the analog outs i get a perfect sync with cubase, and using the usb outs, its just slightly out of time maybe just 1/64th or so. Maybe next i'll try giving the virus a slight thumping with a hammer or stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds. :thumbup:

• Maybe next i'll try giving the virus a slight thumping with a hammer or stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds. :thumbup:

You might not want to do that, in fact page 12 of the quick start guide mentions a similar scenario to avoid :D

Zitat

Please do not hide the Virus TI in the oven, in case you later forget and cook it by accident.

Maybe it's been done before ?(

• whelp, i havent heard from jorg in 2 days so i guess he's given up on me. Guess its time to grow a pair and update my bios. If you dont hear back from me in a couple of hours or so call the cops and tell them they do a great job, but dont worry about me, i'm prolly just busy or something. wish me luck.