USB ans MIDI at the same time

• Hi,

Please let us use USB and MIDI at the same time. (Virus cannot send or receive midi data via midi ports when in sequencer mode)

I request this cause I want to record an playback parameters automation via MIDI (old way style, like Virus C) and keep the use of Virus Control at the same time.

This would really improve my workflow and creativity.

Thx

• When the USB is plugged on the Virus, the physical MIDI ports are routed to "Virus TI MIDI" (in and out), which is a virtual MIDI port accessible from USB. It all behaves exactly as if this part of the Virus became an independant USB-MIDI interface.
    If you want, you can route it (from your sequencer, or using midi-ox) to "Virus TI Synth" (the virtual MIDI port used to talk to the synth part of the Virus). I find this a lot more flexible than what you're proposing, and I would not want the Virus to merge MIDI data coming from USB with MIDI data coming from the physical MIDI input port.

My setup takes advantage of this behaviour this way : my MIDI keyboard is plugged to the physical MIDI input port of the Virus. The Virus and the computer are connected via USB. If the computer is off, I can play music directly from my MIDI keyboard. When I switch my computer on, the Virus detects the USB connection and routes MIDI coming from the physical input to the computer. Then I can launch a sequencer and tell it to listen on "Virus TI MIDI" and to output to "Virus TI Synth" (or to the track where lives the Virus Control, if using VC).

I don't know if I'm clear, but my point is that

Zitat

record an playback parameters automation via MIDI (old way style, like Virus C) and keep the use of Virus Control at the same time

is already possible.

• Virus cannot send or receive midi data via midi ports when in sequencer mode

Where did you get that idea? I use my virus with VC most of the time and it acts as my main midi hub able to send and receive midi data to/from my gear just fine.

• Somewhat related...I would like to be able to buy a cheap midi (usb only) keyboard like the korg microkey, get a usb A to usb B converter (about a dollar), and hook it up to my Virus Desktop TI2 (when not connected to my computer). Unfortunately, support said that this is not possible. This is really too bad, as I don't want to buy a more expensive (and more importantly, larger) midi controller keyboard (with unnecessary knobs and buttons) like m-audio, akai, and novation offer, just to play the Virus directly. Why can't this be remedied?

• Something like this may partially work for MIDI output (i.e midi controller -> virus ).

Thanks, looks like a good product. The only problem is it will cost about $140 to get it to the states or purchase it on ebay. Add that to the cost of the midi keyboard itself. Oh well...

• Quoted
    record an playback parameters automation via MIDI (old way style, like Virus C) and keep the use of Virus Control at the same time

is already possible.

Hi Ace17,

I try what you said and :
    - if VC is not open, it works with midi notes and midi controllers (not interresting for me)
    - if VC is open, this only works for midi notes, and not for midi controllers

Maybe I was not clear, but what I want to do is to record midi controllers (like cutoff automation) via midi with VC open. It seems that when you open VC, midi controllers moves are no more send from the virus, as the knobs control the plugin in seq mode. I can understand that, but unfortunatelly automation of VC in Protools is just unusable cause of the lots of bugs... That's why I ask for this feature.

• it's a bit hard to understand you.
    What do you mean by "record midi controllers via midi"? Can you be specific?
    you seem to be talking about recording the knob movements of the virus, since you haven't mentioned any other gear.
    Either that or you are talking about something else:
    I can record the knob movements of my moog voyager which runs midi into my virus which passes it along into Ableton via usb.

• Hi nms,

Yes, I mean "recording the knob movements of the virus" (with VC open !). I don't want to do this with plugin automation because VC has a big bug in the rtas version. So I want to record knob mouvements in a midi track.

• Hi nms,

Yes, I mean "recording the knob movements of the virus" (with VC open !). I don't want to do this with plugin automation because VC has a big bug in the rtas version. So I want to record knob mouvements in a midi track.

you could use the remote mode for that. choose the virus a-b-c template. that doesn't give you access to everything within one template but it's a start.

marc