weak oscillators

• Virus has weak oscillators and takes a lot of effort to make it sound big....the routing flexibility. is great .The first 4 filters i think are great. The Virus concept is great and huge with an enormous flexibility. But why the same weak and ultra thin oscillators ?.. In my own opinion i think Virus needs more oscillators to fill up the weakest gape A new additional set of huge fat oscillators will be just perfect . For example Clavia NL2x posses powerful oscillators and it sounds good with no effects or tricking. Let's talk about oscillators .The weakest part 8| . Something is very unclear ;( . Sorry i don;t want to offend this company or some users . I'm just unhappy with Ti oscillators :wacko: Maybe for this reason when i try to emulate the 80's famous synth sounds (Chromeo style) TI sounds weak nothing like the Chromeo sounds. The sound don't have the same punch and authenticity compared to the originals . I think oscillators are the biggest problem . The TI oscillators are not like Juno, Jupiter or MS-50 oscillators . So a thin oscillator will result in a compromised emulation

• I think it's your skills that are weak.

takes a lot of effort to make it sound big....

This attitude might also be a problem if you'd prefer not to use presets.

I don't mean to be rude but I pretty much knew how to use the Virus before I owned one.

Having had a look at your previous posts I think you need to get better acquainted with the manual.

Read the Howard Scarr tutorial if it came with your Virus, otherwise download it.

If you can't make the Virus rock it's a user error.

BTW, over 95% of the patches I make use only the classic oscillators. There's nothing wrong with them.

• is not necessary to become offended .. i'm very skilled....

• I hardly use any of the sounds built-in to the Virus because I don't make trance or techno. Most of what I do is emulate classic, wobbly analog synths (a la Chromeo). The Virus is so good at this I never need to turn on my actual analog synth much anymore, and I'd rather bring the Virus on the road than a real analog. So "weak" is not the right term (it's also a loaded term, that's why you're getting negative reaction). The oscillators are very authentic and very analog sounding.

What you need to do to get your sounds more classic- and full-sounding is make judicious use of Osc 1 & 2 balancing, slight detuning, throw some AnaKeys modulation into your matrix, and get busy with the Character and subtle Distortion. Using these I can replicate sounds on my analog synth exactly. A sawtooth or whatever oscillator (not incl. the hypersaw) that sounds "strong" right from the get-go without any sculpting sounds fake.

• Zitat

why are you asking ?? what do you think about Virus hypersaw ? ?(

Oh, I was just asking because I find the hypersaw/square oscillators to be quite powerful, particularly when used with a bit of filter saturation. I haven't had a Nord since '99 though, so I can't make a comparison.

I'm not trying to interfere with your request, however, I was just asking in case you were only talking about the classic oscillators.

• I hardly use any of the sounds built-in to the Virus because I don't make trance or techno. Most of what I do is emulate classic, wobbly analog synths (a la Chromeo). The Virus is so good at this I never need to turn on my actual analog synth much anymore, and I'd rather bring the Virus on the road than a real analog. So "weak" is not the right term (it's also a loaded term, that's why you're getting negative reaction). The oscillators are very authentic and very analog sounding.

What you need to do to get your sounds more classic- and full-sounding is make judicious use of Osc 1 & 2 balancing, slight detuning, throw some AnaKeys modulation into your matrix, and get busy with the Character and subtle Distortion. Using these I can replicate sounds on my analog synth exactly. A sawtooth or whatever oscillator (not incl. the hypersaw) that sounds "strong" right from the get-go without any sculpting sounds fake.

Nice !.Please can you share a few of you're Chromeo presets ? :P . I'm a good sound designer but no one is perfect .I know exactly how to program modern trance house sounds . Maybe i miss something when i try to replicate the Chromeo sounds

• Nice !.Please can you share a few of you're Chromeo presets ? :P . I'm a good sound designer but no one is perfect .I know exactly how to program modern trance house sounds . Maybe i miss something when i try to replicate the Chromeo sounds

Sure here's a "disco punk" synth bass I'm using in a song right now. Not exactly 80s cheese, more like 80s grit. I think of sounds in the context of what genre they'd be good for, not what synth they come from, so I don't exactly know what synth this sounds like. But it is a copy of a stock bass sound in my Andromeda. Anyways it shows off the techniques I was telling you about:

http://www.suges.com/virus/SugesPunkDiscoBass.zip

Here's a snip from the song so you can hear the sound in context:

http://www.suges.com/virus/DPiscoTest2.mp3

• thks :thumbup: i really like that sound . But where is the preset ??. You share only the mp3 ?. I just want that patch loaded in my Ti to convince my self . This synth is huge and takes time to know every trick .I'm learning every day . So this synth is capable to emulate exactly every Moog or ARP sound imaginable ?( . Please share that patch with us . A lot of Virus users think that Virus is perfect only for modern house trance sounds and not so perect for 80's emulations. I can't wait to load that patch )) :P. Why have you posted an Andromeda demmo ?. ;(. When i try to emulate some 80's arps for me Ti sounds good but nothing like the original , because the sound becomes a little trance and digital. Maybe that's why you have posted an Andromeda demmo :D and there is no Virus Ti patch because of course that demmo is you're Andromeda ..... :huh:

• thks :thumbup: i really like that sound . But where is the preset ??. You share only the mp3 ?. I just want that patch loaded in my Ti to convince my self . This synth is huge and takes time to know every trick .I'm learning every day . So this synth is capable to emulate exactly every Moog or ARP sound imaginable ?( . Please share that patch with us . A lot of Virus users think that Virus is perfect only for modern house trance sounds and not so perect for 80's emulations. It seems that they don't know every trick and Virus is 100% capable ?. I can't wait to load that patch )) :P. Let's hope this is NOT Andromeda ;(

Haha there's two links there bro! The patch is the first link, the MP3 is the second. Here it is again: http://www.suges.com/virus/SugesPunkDiscoBass.zip

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8vJhaMyNG0 i don't like those emulations . Not a single one . Are to soft and flabby . Maybe it is Synthsound1 fault. :huh:those sounds are really weak compared to the originals . Maybe he missed some tweaks ?. Not enough experience ? ?( Anyway Synthsound1 seems to know a lot about synthesis . So why those sounds are so weak ?. To often i have the same problem .In many situation the sound is to soft and weak.and i want a violent deep impact sound to cut the mix in half . To often i have this sound softness problem

• is not necessary to become offended .. i'm very skilled....[/quote]

Wow, modest too. How come you're having so much trouble with this then?

As I stated earlier check out the Howard Scarr tutorial. There's many sections on how to add analog behaviour and feel to Virus patches.

With the analog modulation sources that were recently added you shouldn't have any trouble emulating 80s sounds. Or 70s, or 60s sounds...

• ok mister synth perfect :D
    i opened this thread because of the oscillators , filters when i say
    weak oscillators i mean they are to dark and because of this darkness i feel like some freq are
    missing .. of course the osc have a fat sound but they are to dark .When i say analog emulation i want to have the full characteristics of the original ,including the brightness of the filters & osc. Of course Virus can emulate every analog sound imaginable but the sound have a Virus signature in it. So it's an emulation with Virus signature .. is not an emulation with original signature .

That;s the biggest problem for me . I just want a more neutral synth sound that can have different signatures . Not just one .For me being an audiophile i feel a little bored because all the Virus sounds have exactly the same texture .. More exactly 3 years ago i used an Roland XV-5080 expanded with vintage synth waveforms . Let me tell you Roland XV-5080 sounds much brighter , fuller and neutral compared to Virus Ti. The emulations on XV-5080 have a more powerful sound ..The sound texture is 100% different. But at least Virus Ti is more complex. There is no chance to replicate the xv-5080 sound on Virus Ti no mater how good i am in programing this synth .That's why i think Virus needs more osc , filters .

For me to replicate with success a sound, means to have the full characteristics of the original especially the original signature that Virus is missing 8| So i think the most important part is the signature . To have different signatures not just te Virus one ....boring

• ok mister synth perfect :D
    i opened this thread because of the oscillators , filters when i say
    weak oscillators i mean they are to dark and because of this darkness i feel like some freq are
    missing .. of course the osc have a fat sound but they are to dark .When i say analog emulation i want to have the full characteristics of the original ,including the brightness of the filters & osc. Of course Virus can emulate every analog sound imaginable but the sound have a Virus signature in it. So it's an emulation with Virus signature .. is not an emulation with original signature .

That;s the biggest problem for me . I just want a more neutral synth sound that can have different signatures . Not just one .For me being an audiophile i feel a little bored because all the Virus sounds have exactly the same texture .. More exactly 3 years ago i used an Roland XV-5080 expanded with vintage synth waveforms . Let me tell you Roland XV-5080 sounds much brighter , fuller and neutral compared to Virus Ti. The emulations on XV-5080 have a more powerful sound ..The sound texture is 100% different. But at least Virus Ti is more complex. There is no chance to replicate the xv-5080 sound on Virus Ti no mater how good i am in programing this synth .That's why i think Virus needs more osc , filters .

For me to replicate with success a sound, means to have the full characteristics of the original especially the original signature that Virus is missing 8| So i think the most important part is the signature . To have different signatures not just te Virus one ....boring

Dude, seriously…WTF are you talking about? :wacko:

• I am confused. After reading this I have to ask: Are you saying that you do not like the Virus' oscillators or are you saying that they are to dark and thin? I have found that you can make some very fat sounds on the Virus BEFORE you start dropping on effects.

• Bagpula, maybe you should have a look at this thread

Quoted from Marc :
    "as for the aliasing, the interesting part is which virus oscillators are up for comparison. the "old" ones, the classic models, especially the sine, yes - those are not aliasing free. we kept those in the original state from +13 years ago. but the new oscillators (for instance the wavetable oscillator) are aliasing free. so you have both options."

• Bagpula, maybe you should have a look at this thread

Quoted from Marc :
    "as for the aliasing, the interesting part is which virus oscillators are up for comparison. the "old" ones, the classic models, especially the sine, yes - those are not aliasing free. we kept those in the original state from +13 years ago. but the new oscillators (for instance the wavetable oscillator) are aliasing free. so you have both options."

exactly !! i think i need more classic oscillators :thumbup: ..
    13 years is to much . The classic OSC are to old . Now after 13 years maybe a new
    set of classic osc will be just fine . 13 years and no change on classic
    osc ? . Common !! 8|