Which USB Cable

• Hi all

I have read on these forums that a brand new usb cable has cured a lot of sync and glitch problems with the virus Ti and would like to ask anyone in the know which cable i should buy......

Should i get a Hi speed usb 2 cable and are these the same as usb 1.1 or should i go for the latest usb 3 cable which i believe to be colour coded Blue as they are all backwards compatible..?

Any concise help will be fully appreciated...... :)

• Thanks Ruri...you had me going there for a minute ha ha....Starting at $3549 for 3FT. Evan dearer than the virus itself...you wouldn't be on this forum if you could afford one of those as you could just fly one of the access team over with expences paid for the weekend to get your system sorted..ha

Can i ask you if you use your Ti in stand alone or with Vc.....if Vc is it solid most of the time..

I ask because i feel like i'm almost getting there as it seems to behave a bit better now as i have gone back to running logic in 32 bit to get rid of that bridge that sucks, but still get the odd glitch..

Also thinking of getting the belkin hub talked about on this forum but marc didn't think i needed it but i feel my Ti could be tighter

• The shorter the better - no slacks.
    • The thicker the conducting metal, the better.
    • The thicker the shielding metal, the better.
    • Thick insulation...? to some extent it will prevent your cable from bending to the point of tearing, but if you do not move it around or pull it a lot it, insulation thickness doesn't really matter.

In order to really tell where the source of your trouble is, you need a USB sniffer - something like this, only for Mac...

• The shorter the better - no slacks.
    • The thicker the conducting metal, the better.
    • The thicker the shielding metal, the better.
    • Thick insulation...? to some extent it will prevent your cable from bending to the point of tearing, but if you do not move it around or pull it a lot it, insulation thickness doesn't really matter.

In order to really tell where the source of your trouble is, you need a USB sniffer - something like this, only for Mac...

Wow you really know your stuff in usb cables, could you recommend any outlets that sell these as i would give it a go..I also like the idea of monitoring what is happening between my mac and Ti's usb data as it sounds like it would pinpoint where the problem is like you have suggested..

That said its only if i can understand what to look for and which usb sniffer i should use as their seems to be a few to chose from...come to think of it this is the first time i have heard of this method and wonder why access don't point there customers in this direction at the first sign of usb trouble as it would surly say yes you need this hub or its probably a faulty cable!!! or am i getting ahead of myself and it's not that clear cut..

would appreciate any help with this flabberbob or anyone whose done this...thanks

• Can i ask you if you use your Ti in stand alone or with Vc.....if Vc is it solid most of the time..

I ask because i feel like i'm almost getting there as it seems to behave a bit better now as i have gone back to running logic in 32 bit to get rid of that bridge that sucks, but still get the odd glitch..

I use both stand alone & VC depending on what I'm doing, I'm happy to report that when I'm using VC it is solid as a rock - all the time.

I run Logic in 64bit mode, since Reaktor went 64 bit I've just abandoned any plug-ins which needed the audio bridge & I've never looked back.

• I use both stand alone & VC depending on what I'm doing, I'm happy to report that when I'm using VC it is solid as a rock - all the time.

I run Logic in 64bit mode, since Reaktor went 64 bit I've just abandoned any plug-ins which needed the audio bridge & I've never looked back.

Thanks for your reply Ruari....

Since my last post i have used a shorter cable and it rocks now compared to what i had....flabberbob give me a heads up on usb cables so i had a gander on this site

http://www.computeraudiophile.…-between-computer-and-dac

These guys want the best but they do suggest that this cable is good for the money

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=2906

What do you think Ruari on the monster cable for £24 as at the moment i'm just using a standard usb 2 hi-speed cable.

I also think i will follow your lead with only using 64 bit plugins and cut some of the chaff to not ever need to use crappy audio bridge again... as it is i have a couple of uad cards in my system and i should get more familiar with those anyway ha

• I would love some advice on my issue with VC and its problem with using a 48hz project.

Would you suggest a shorter cable??

Did it solve the issue for you Louis?

• I think that cable will probably be ok, but you won't really know until you connect it up - before you spend any money on more cables have you not got another cable laying around somewhere you can try? Maybe just swapping the cable over for a different one might help.

scientificharmony - ideally you should be using a cable the same length or shorter than the one supplied with your Virus, problems can start creeping in if you are using longer cables.

• I would love some advice on my issue with VC and its problem with using a 48hz project.

Would you suggest a shorter cable??

Did it solve the issue for you Louis?

Yes it does or seems to have up to now but want to give a cautious thumbs up for now as i will only know after more time with the Ti. I had to drill a hole through the back of my desk so it would reach but it was worth it...

I wouldn't mind buying a really good cable for £20-£30 if i new it was going to help on top of the progress i have had as its almost solid now and can not wait to put in some more time with it.....

I wonder if access team use quality cables or just the one they ship with the Ti

• I think that cable will probably be ok, but you won't really know until you connect it up - before you spend any money on more cables have you not got another cable laying around somewhere you can try? Maybe just swapping the cable over for a different one might help.

Already done that and virus is really solid now but can't help wonder what a really good cable could achieve.....i suppose the ultimate cable would be the virus Ti hard wired right into the motherboard ha ha..

• Or Firewire!

Or for what is physicaly possible at the moment this working for me beautifully - MST Advanced High Speed A/B USB Cable - 90cm.
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/…le-90cm-03661020-pdt.html
    Like i said earlier that i changed my cable to a shorter one and all of a sudden my Ti went tighter than a nats chuff...............and i have really been enjoying it and feel a bit silly for pointing a few accusations here and there, but felt i was not getting much help of access..

Anywho i wanted to spend a few more quid on a better cable without going daft and this one has made it even tighter...and this has been well tested by me staying up far to late getting carried away ha ha....

So for some of you at least having trouble with your Ti this is definitily worth a shot and the good thing is.. if it dosent help you in anyway then you can get a full refund within 7 days even after you've opened the indestructible packaging

Hope this helps anyone because i was banging my head against a wall over this and it hurt after a while, but now i can honestly say that i am HAPPY Ti owner!!