Snow / Logic / iMac JUNK !!!!!!!

• Are you being serious Marc ? You really want me to make a project with one small 4 bar miidi clip with a few notes on it. Wouldn't it be better for access to get an the latest iMac with all the latest drivers and RELIZE there is a problem ???

The odd thing about this is that Access seem to be asking for so little in their best attempts to carry out the diagnosis/treatment process. I wonder whether the emotional payoff of withholding the requested tiny test project and thus being able to yell at Access (with an audience) is actually greater than the payoff expected once the problem is quietly fixed. You could always send them the project and scowl hard and cuss as you hit 'send', just to make it really clear how much pride is being swallowed and valuable remixing time wasted, and enjoy that sweet fleeting moment of bitterness.

As the Quakers might say, "Think it possible that you are mistaken." Much good can flow from this attitude, I've found. ^^

• You really want me to make a project with one small 4 bar miidi clip with a few notes on it. Wouldn't it be better for access to get an the latest iMac with all the latest drivers and RELIZE there is a problem ???

I'm reading between the lines here & I think that's what they are doing. The more people that can send affected projects in the more likely they are to be able to see a pattern in the issues.

I don't think you are being asked to make a new project specially & send it in, take one that you are having issues with & send that in with some notes detailing where you normally get the issues & how they normally present themselves to you. Surely, you must already have some projects already on your drive ready to go, don't be shy about it. They don't care what sort of music it is or how good (or bad) it sounds, they do care about whats causing the issues.

A few of us have sent projects in, Marc has asked if you will add to that database. You have nothing to lose by doing so.

• Are you being serious Marc ? You really want me to make a project with one small 4 bar miidi clip with a few notes on it. Wouldn't it be better for access to get an the latest iMac with all the latest drivers and RELIZE there is a problem ???

Doesn't It mean anything to ACCESS that people are selling there crap and writing bad reviews everywhere.

I'm still waiting for some other companies to fix there logic / Lion issues also. But really for a money paid for this synth, you think support could fix this. :cursing::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

i am serious. i wouldn't ask you for input if i would know what you're dealing with. i don't think that a simple midi clip does the trick myself, so what would you suggest in order to find the difference in what we do and you do to make it happen? we had an iMac on NAMM back in january, running logic, it was the latest at this time. we didn't experience what you experience over the duration of the show.
    marc

• we had an iMac on NAMM back in january, running logic, it was the latest at this time. we didn't experience what you experience over the duration of the show.
    marc

I've heard this one before. As a veteran of many, many NAMM shows, I'll bet my Virus TI that you were running just the TI in Logic, right? No other Logic instruments, no third party Audio Units, no MIDI gear, no external audio inputs, etc. In other words, you were not demonstrating the Virus in any sort of real world situation and not placing any significant demands on the system. So it's not surprising that you didn't encounter any problems (over a few days).

I will literally buy that iMac from you and hook it up to my equipment just to show you that Virus Control doesn't work for crap in Logic. I'm serious.

To the people who are experiencing problems running VC in Logic, I have two words of advice: Give up. You will NOT get this to work no matter what you try. Trust me. I spent the better part of two months dicking around with this. Just connect your TI via MIDI and be done with it. Program everything from the front panel (as cumbersome as that can be sometimes.) Then send a sys-ex dump into your sequencer to store your patch or multi with the song file. THAT actually works.

Synths: D-550, EX-8000, Matrix-1000, Microwave, Microwave XT, MKS-50, MKS-80, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pro One, Prophet '08 Rack, Pulse, Pulse 2, Shruthi, TX7, Virus kb, XV-5080, Maschine
    Computer: Core i7-970 3.20 GHz Hexacore, ASUS P6X58-E PRO, ATI FirePro 2460 quad head, RME RayDAT w/4x Alesis AI3, 2x MOTU MIDI Express 128, Cubase 7.5

• Okay, Lets get this straight. I do about 5 to 6 official commercial dance remixes for Major Label in the US. I would love to feature this Virus snow in all my work, and let people hear how incredible this product is. But the simple fact is that it doesn't work as described (TI). Marc, I truly believe at Namm this product worked perfect with an IMAC. Since then Logic and Lion have been updated. Apple confirms bugs in logic and lion. I'm hoping that in time Access, Logic and Lion, will all play nicely. My apogee duet is also a little glitchy since there Maestro 2 Lion update.

Again, I don't think making a simple project in logic will help. All you need for these problems to occur is a fully updated Mac, Logic and Virus snow. Although I am a keyboard player myself. I build my productions on 8 bar loops, and move around midi notes on the piano roll till it sounds good. I use the spacebar to start and stop and sometimes move the mouse to different parts of the arrangement. Then replay the 8 bar region and search for preset sounds and do some tweaking. This is usually where things go wrong.

Today everything worked great, the only problem I had was when i stopped my DAW, the virus sustained one of the bass notes. I had to restart the virus and logic.

Tomorrow I am going to have my camera in the studio, And I'm planning on making videos of this virus acting up. I will post links to the videos after there uploaded.

BYW I love how there are people responding to my posts about wasting time and not uploading sample logic session with these problems. LET me make this clear, this product not working is a waste of my time. ALSO notice that there are more people with problems posting on here, then people telling me I'm wasting time, or that there unit works great. Funny, huh, Good Day !

• I've heard this one before. As a veteran of many, many NAMM shows, I'll bet my Virus TI that you were running just the TI in Logic, right? No other Logic instruments, no third party Audio Units, no MIDI gear, no external audio inputs, etc. In other words, you were not demonstrating the Virus in any sort of real world situation and not placing any significant demands on the system. So it's not surprising that you didn't encounter any problems (over a few days).

let me quote mmathews: "You really want me to make a project with one small 4 bar miidi clip with a few notes on it." and now ask you: is that so different to what you say above in terms of our supposed NAMM show situation? i don't think so.
    marc

• Music Maven, I don't think, any third party plugins have to do with this problem. I truly believe this is a usb iMac problem. My ultimate frustration is that I'm purchasing all the expensive best gear running all the latest updates. I have heard other people in the industry warn me not to update till all the bugs are worked out. I think this is exactly their point. There are four Usb ports on the back of the iMac, and if you go into system settings there all shared with an internal device, or on a onboard hub.

Here is what bugs me out, if I use the USB just for the midi using the Audio Unit (TI) :) from the daw and route the sound out the 1/4 inch plugs directly into my apogee sound card I still have these issues. I thought if i removed the audio signal from the Usb bandwidth, the virus would communicate better.

I have been contacted directly from virus, and will keep you all updated. I still believe this synth is BAD ASS !!!!

Doesn't It mean anything to ACCESS that people are selling there crap and writing bad reviews everywhere.

<rest of quote skipped>

Ranting will not solve your problems. When dealing with customer support, you must realize that they have established procedures. And this means that you will have to "jump through hoops" before they will give you more dedicated help. This is true with all the customer support departments that I have had to deal with. This is normal, and for their own reasons, have been determined necessary. At the same time, you should be documenting anything that is possibly relevant. Help them help you.

Bob Graham

• let me quote mmathews: "You really want me to make a project with one small 4 bar miidi clip with a few notes on it." and now ask you: is that so different to what you say above in terms of our supposed NAMM show situation? i don't think so.
    marc

I'm sorry, are you daft? The POINT is that a simple 4 bar MIDI sequence will "trip up" the Virus when you have anything more going on in your Logic Environment than Virus Control - even when these other elements (other instruments and effects, audio inputs, outboard MIDI connections, etc.) are not active. In other words, if you try to use VC in conjunction with anything else in Logic, it won't work (at least on the iMac in question). You can't even play back a simple 4 bar sequence without sync issues, audio glitches, etc.

The original poster is right, Virus Control is complete junk. And Access are either "willfully ignorant" or totally clueless for saying otherwise.

Synths: D-550, EX-8000, Matrix-1000, Microwave, Microwave XT, MKS-50, MKS-80, Nord Rack 2, Nord Rack 3, Pro One, Prophet '08 Rack, Pulse, Pulse 2, Shruthi, TX7, Virus kb, XV-5080, Maschine
    Computer: Core i7-970 3.20 GHz Hexacore, ASUS P6X58-E PRO, ATI FirePro 2460 quad head, RME RayDAT w/4x Alesis AI3, 2x MOTU MIDI Express 128, Cubase 7.5

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MusicMaven ()

• The POINT is that a simple 4 bar MIDI sequence will "trip up" the Virus when you have anything more going on in your Logic Environment than Virus Control - even when these other elements (other instruments and effects, audio inputs, outboard MIDI connections, etc.) are not active.

I don't really know that much about computers & how they work, hence this potentially stupid question.

If it's right that just having other objects in the environment upset the Virus, then does that not mean that the problem is more likely to be with Logic rather than the Virus?

• HUGE progress made today with the virus snow ti. Turns out all 4 of my USB ports on back of my 2011 iMac I7 all have internal hubs and devices hooked up internally. The one port I was using was also shared by Native Instruments Kore 2 Controller. Witch I don't really use, and draws a lot of power. Power wasn't the issue, but when I ran the 4 track demo song I had no problems, The minute I plugged in Kore into the usb next to the virus, Boom, problems. The only usb unit i have is NI Maschine, witch is on the other internal usb hub.

Bottom line, is that this seems to be a Apple iMac problem, not actually having Isolated usb ports on the back of there machines. Im going to try to put Maschine and Kore 2 on a powered usb hub, and make sure they are on the other internal hub on my iMac. These Native Intruments products use a lot of power, but are just simple controllers that use little usb bandwidth.

Although I'm sure like most people, with there studios, I like to have everything hooked up and powered, even though I'm not using it. Or haven't even used something in months lol. Really who needs Kore 2 with a virus ti2 ??

Thank you everybody.

• I have to say this would not be the case for me, as I don't own an iMac, but a Mac Pro. System profile shows the TI to be on it's own bus, no internal hub, but still it gives me the same problems I've had with this synth from the day of purchase.

It does indeed sometimes play nice, but then it will just freak. The most disturbing thing being the blast of notes that you get well after the project in Logic has stopped playing. There is clearly something wrong.

I'm very tired of of the shoddy TI side of this, so I'll be taking the traditional 5 pin din route.

If memory serves, this thing was heavily delayed on release due to problems, which I guess are still plaguing an other wise top draw synth. Time to trade for an Origin me thinks.

• I think you may have a bad unit, I didn't experience those problems. I clearly had a Usb midi communication problem. I also have a Virus TI2 Desktop on a Mac Pro 12 core, that works perfect on its own usb. Also running latest versions of logic and

BTW, ARTURIA is the absolute worst. I would stay away from the Origin. There a very small company with hardly any support. I will say the sounds they produce are amazing. But if your going to send that money, that new Roland Juno, Its insane.

• I don't really know that much about computers & how they work, hence this potentially stupid question.

If it's right that just having other objects in the environment upset the Virus, then does that not mean that the problem is more likely to be with Logic rather than the Virus?

There is no doubt that the performance/reliability of VC in Logic is way worse than in Cubase 6, for instance. However, I still experience the litany of issues in Cubase if my project has any complexity to it.

Incidentally, by way of comparison, my Vienna Symphonic Library running on a slave PC connected to my iMac via Gigabit Ethernet works flawlessly - 32 tracks of REAL TIME audio piped into Logic with absolutely no latency whatsoever. There are no dropouts, no glitches, nothing. It just works. That's the kind of performance that a professional company delivers. Not this buggy, flakey crap that Access is peddling.

Vienna has the right to use the term "Total Integration," not Access.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MusicMaven ()

• thats what Access should call it....and it would seem these problems are not exclusive to any one particular Daw they seem to have huge problems on all of them....I also have the latest Macbook Pro maxed out bought exactly a week ago with the latest and most up to date OS Lion..I have run into Problem after Problem first USB port errors causing sync faults pops and clicks and crashes,i was advise to get a Hub as the Virus doesn't like to share Usb ports so i took this advice and spent £20 on a hub..the error messages went away only to be replaced by more error messages in regards to memory data...i then found someone else with the same problem within the forum..admin then said the most probable cause was shared USB ports still causing conflicts as others have found but in my USB setup...my Virus no longer shares a port it has the whole port exclusively. i would love to get this working its such a great synth and i would hate to have to sell it so soon after purchasing it.I realise that it is a huge task for the people testing these systems to be able to foresee every single setup of every Virus user...but i am only using the Virus and a Macbook Pro.thats it..as one poster put it...you'd think you would be ahead of the game with all the latest gear.....for those people at Access try this.....buy a new Macbook pro with Lion with a Orpheus on the Firewire port and a Virus on the Usb..simple enough!?? :wacko::wacko::wacko::P

• If I don't follow recommendations, TI gives me a USB conflict warning when loading a Logic project. If I don't get this warning, all is good right?

However...

BPM light flashing away, nice, tight to the metronome in Logic until you get the message on the Virus Display 'configuring TI'.

Bearing in mind there is NO sequenced part whatsoever utilising the TI, I will get a blast of notes (with the sound of the selected patch) belting out in a terrible fashion through my speakers?

Had there been a sequence there I could understand it, but no data that I put in place was being sent to the TI.

It's been unplugged for a few days and I've reset it etc (been through all this before) but it still won't play nice. Please give me some hope Access, this is not good at all. :(

• Ok, this is starting to freak me out now!

Just had a blast of notes, approx 10 mins after playing project, everything idle. Same thing every time, BPM light above display goes nuts, TI starts chucking out random garbage. Me and the wife jumped out of our skins!

Have I got faulty hardware? I need to know as out of warranty and would like to sell this to some poor sod on ebay! (just kidding).

Marc, I know you are listening and surely this does not require a paltry logic project consisting of a one bar arp loop. I'm a bit lost and very disheartened to be honest :(