Virus TI2 S/PDIF outputs - random burst of noise

• Hi Virus Support,

Can you give me an update on the current open support ticket SI00020782?

This is regarding the issue of random bursts of noise from the Virus TI2 when connecting using S/PDIF outputs. This can be reproduced by the following,

1) Connect Virus SPDIF output to Motu Ultralite input, soundcard is on
    2) Load an init patch on the virus
    3) Put the Virus into Standby mode by pressing the two transpose buttons
    4) Wait for 24-48 hours
    5) Bursts of noise on one channel will appear (this seem to happen every 24 hours or so)
    6) Unplug the power cable (Virus will power off)
    7)
    Plug the power cable back in (A loud noise will be emited from the
    Virus and then once the virus is started the noise disappers)

I have recorded a snippet of this and can be found here -> http://soundcloud.com/djd_oz/virus-spdif-noise

Also, this issue has been experienced by another user who posted in this forum Tarekith who may me contacted through-
    "I used the TI2 Polar with my Ultralite and FF400 via SPDIF and usually it worked fine. Sometimes random noise
    on one channel, but restarting the TI fixed it. THat said, I eventually
    went back to the 1/4" outs, just seemed like less hassle. "

And I have managed to contact another user who experienced the same issue and this was his response,
    "[size=12][color=#454545][font='Arial']Yes
    actually I did, they had me send it in to a Maintenance Center which
    put a "modification" in. This resolved that problem for me. I am running
    it into a MOTU 828 mk.III."

I have also provided the e-mail addresses for the above users for reference in the support e-mail.

Can you advise on how to proceed with this issue as I have sent various e-mails to the virus support which has not been responded to?

• Can you respond to whether someone is investigating this issue and what is the progress or that you don't think this is an issue and it will not be investigated?

• Hi Marc,

I have managed to reproduce this issue with the below procedure,
    1) Restart the Virus TI with no cables plugged in except for the power cable
    2) Put the Virus into sleep by pressing both the Transpose buttons
    3) Plugin the S/PDIF cable to the outputs
    4) Wait for 10-15 mins and the noise will appear

It maybe I have a faulty unit, is there a service center where I can send this to?

• A few months ago after one of the Virus OS updates I was getting random bursts of noise when opening VC in Logic. I wasn't using S/PDIF though, this was just via USB, I corresponded with support, made a video showing how I could recreate it at will, took my Mac into the Apple Store to get it checked out by the geniuses & generally tore my hair out trying to find out what the problem was.

Although it was acknowledged that there was something amiss somewhere, my computer got the all clear & no-one from Access was able to recreate my problem, meaning that they couldn't work on a fix for it as they had nothing concrete to go on.

Then, when a point update came out for Logic my problem vanished, I have no idea what the problem was or why it went away when Logic got an update, but I am happy that it did.

I know this post doesn't really help you with your situation but I thought I'd share my unexplainable experience with you, just so you knew that it was possible for it to disappear as quickly as it arrived leaving no-one any the wiser.