A basic example of the different sound of the virus generating at 44.1khz vs 48khz. Want brighter sound with more top end clarity?

• Ah ok i got it :)
    The final downsampling from 88.2 -to-> 44.1 must be done before or after the limiter/ditering?

For anyone wondering about this stuff... for best quality (despite the fact that DAWs like ableton will allow you to just drop it in) convert any audio files in your projects all to the same sample rate. This would be your working sample rate. For most people that's 44.1khz, but a lot of the top pros work at higher sample rates like 88.2k or 96k. I prefer 88.2k as there are occasional quality benefits to working at an even multiple of your final product. 96k was more intended for video application where 48k is final format. SRCs (sample rate conversions) are unrelated to dither rules as dithering relates to bit depth conversions. You only dither at the point you are stepping down to a lower bit depth. So for example lets say your track is mastered and no other processing is to be done on it.. you'd SRC to 44.1khz and from there export your to the final 16bit format with dithering applied. So in regard to your final limiter yes I'd definitely do that at 88.2k as it'll perform better. The final 2 stages should be SRC then dither to 16bit.

• Zitat

For anyone wondering about this stuff... for best quality (despite the fact that DAWs like ableton will allow you to just drop it in) convert any audio files in your projects all to the same sample rate. This would be your working sample rate. For most people that's 44.1khz, but a lot of the top pros work at higher sample rates like 88.2k or 96k. I prefer 88.2k as there are occasional quality benefits to working at an even multiple of your final product. 96k was more intended for video application where 48k is final format. SRCs (sample rate conversions) are unrelated to dither rules as dithering relates to bit depth conversions. You only dither at the point you are stepping down to a lower bit depth. So for example lets say your track is mastered and no other processing is to be done on it.. you'd SRC to 44.1khz and from there export your to the final 16bit format with dithering applied. So in regard to your final limiter yes I'd definitely do that at 88.2k as it'll perform better. The final 2 stages should be SRC then dither to 16bit

Thank you very much!
    I usually before make the dither just inside the limiter (PSPaudioware Xenon).....so i have to limit at 88.2, export, make resample at 44.1 and then dither. At this point what do you suggest to use to make dither from 24 to 16 bit? resample and dither on Izotope RX?

• Sure. The best I know of and what I always use is Izotope 64bit SRC and Izotope Mbit+ Dithering, both of which come with Sound forge. If you've got RX though that's good.

• So you're setting your audio interface to 48k in logic.. and then trying to open the plugin? You're not using an odd buffer size are you? the newer OS versions are pushy about you using even ones ie 64, 128, 256,512.
    Are you using the virus as your audio interface or somethign else? I can change my interface's sample rate inside ableton's audio preferences no problem with the plugin already instantiated and no problems. You should be able to.

• I know it's an old thread but I just got my first Virus and I hoped by replying that other newbies might find the thread. Through KRK Rokit 10-3s this tip makes a huge difference to the sound quality. Prior to doing the smaple rate switch I wasn't that impressed with the sound. I really am now :)