assigning midi controllers

• well, i did not find a way which really works in an acceptable way.

in some forums there was said "right click on for example on the control for the filter cutoff and select ..."

hm... there are two gui controls for such a parameter:
    1) first on the panes that modify the sound parameters
    2) second on the pane "remote" where i can set a midi message.

however, right click doesnt work on both panes so which gui-control / control is meant to right click on...

on pane 2) there are 2 problems i observed:
    - I can define a midi control for a knob, but some knobs are assigned to more than one parameter (for example the fx-knobs) how can i define which parameter is mapped to the midi control message? please don't tell me automation is bound to knobs and not to parameters ;(

- I succeeded to remote control some parameters but i expect that an appropriate message is sent when i move the knob on the virus hardware. however, i did not succeed receiving a midi message from the virus... is there something special to setup?

I want to remark, that something goes wrong here.. i have experience with lots of synthesizers (software and hardware) up to now i was able to setup midi automation within a short amount of time (<10 mins). However, i spent several hours (!) on the automation concept of the virus with nearly no success. This tells me that the concept is not good and shall be reviewed!

• hi ionis,

i have virus os 4.5.1.15
    and virus control version 4.5.1.15
    and ableton live 8.1.5.

But the problem is not in the sequencer..
    The led of my midi interface tells me, there is no message received from the virus.

• It is possible to perform automation with the Virus VST, but it is not MIDI automation, but VST parameter automation. You need to choose the filter cuttoff of the correct channel from the list of VST parameters exported by the Virus VST, and assign values to it in an automation track.

In VST mode, the Virus will not output any MIDI data. The data of the knobs you turn goes directly to the VST. BUT you can switch the physical Virus unit to remote mode ([shift] + Remote buttons) which will send knob data (if defined it in the layout) to the USB MIDI out of the virus, to be intercepted by your DAW, and sent to any destination you wish, including back to the Virus itself, passing through the VST, affecting MIDI controller routings in the matrix, not the cutoff or any other internal parametr directly.

Hope this helps.

• That's right flabberbob. You need two different setup configurations here. One is stand alone hardware mode and the other is VST mode. Just click on the channel that the virus is in in Ableton. Click on the configure button and then start clicking controls in the Virus Control VST. The only thing left is to MIDI map the configured controls. If you are running as a strictly hardware mode, just setup your MIDI controller's CCs to be assigned to the ones that they will be used to control the Access Virus TI.