• Is it just me or do all the arturia synths sound fatter than the Virus TI?

To be honest im pretty dissapointed with the bottom end on the virus ti. I used to have a virus b and that was amazing in the low end of the spectrum. But now when i write stuff and i use something like minimoog, it just sh**s all over the virus for low end.

i would be interested to know what everyone else thinks. I may just sell my virus and get a nord lead. cant afford a minimoog. I feel a bit cheated with the whole TI thing. its pants really. I cant even automate what im doing on the seerate midi channels. So that is pants really. Why bother!

• although i have to admit the Virus has amazing sonic capabilities.....i am really contemplating selling it....its actually got to the point where its endless drops outs and pops have actually damaged connections in my rig..whos going to pay for my damaged orpheus.?? you can bet your ass it wont be access...if i where you i would get the Nord...i am considering doing the same thing myself...my opinion of the Virus...not worth the hassle...you'll spend more time swearing at it and less time producing...and yes i also think its thin sounding.

• a lot of us Chris are frustrated over the tech side of things...getting the Virus to work 100% is quite a task.
    but can you compare the Virus in fatness to say a minimoog or a voyager...this is the point i was making....mixed in with a bit of late night annoyance from wasting so many man hours on this thing.

• a lot of us Chris are frustrated over the tech side of things...getting the Virus to work 100% is quite a task.
    but can you compare the Virus in fatness to say a minimoog or a voyager...this is the point i was making....mixed in with a bit of late night annoyance from wasting so many man hours on this thing.

Really man? Talk about comparing apples to oranges. If you want a minimoog sound you get a minimoog. If you want virus sounds you get a virus. One is digital, one is legendary analog. They are very different tools that each have their place. I have both.

I don't know what kind of computer setup you're running over there but you should really sort it out. Are you on the newest mac OS or something? most people aren't complaining about the newest TIOS. As for me, I haven't encountered problems with mine that kept me from being able to work on it ever. I have a really solid computer though that was built for what I do.

No idea how on earth your virus could ever damage your orpheus btw.. nothing I can possibly think of would be able to cause that to happen.

As to the OP.. your virus is only as good and fat as it's presets or your ability to program it. Maybe you should download an oscilloscope and start learning more about programming the virus to sound more fat and analog. Find images of moog saws, squares or other analog synths so you understand what kind of characteristics thick analog waveforms have.

• I had the whole Arturia range of synths and I got rid of them. Not only were they far from sounding close to the originals, their GUI was unusable, because it was so close to the originals. The developers forgot that you don't have two hands here but just a mouse. Furthermore: small letters but no resizable windows. Comparing to the Virus, I have to agree with nms. It has its own sound and if you want moog then go for moog. But you can get closer than Arturia. And it saves CPU.

Anyway, I think for a few days we all have known that if you want the most analogue sound from a plug-in/digital solution you have to go for DIVA.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2009), 12 GB, OS X 10.6, Cubase 5.5.2, Virus TI, NI Komplete 6, Korg Legacy Collection, Arturia 10 Years Suite

mister

NO, of course you can't compare the Virus with minimoog or voyager because we are talking about two completely different machines , digital vs analog
    according fatness i have also a completely different opinion than yours ,

greetings :thumbup:

• I tried the Arturia Minimoog emulation the other day as they were doing the offer on all their synths. Compared to the minimoog emulating 'wall shaking' presets I use on the virus (as that is one of the main things you use a minimoog for!) it didn't get very close. Bear in mind these sounds were originally done on a minimoog, so it is a minimoog tone I'm after.

This will also be down to effects (which many forget, and is a major source of what people mistake for analogue synths being better) - but the Virus has (nearly) all the effects I need all in one place which Arturia lack - I don't know if or what effects the origin come with, but I'm willing to bet they aren't as good as the Virus.

I agree also, that they have constrained a set of very 'hands on' synths to a box which you can only access via a mouse cursor (or midi controller, say, the virus) which isn't ideal - setting up midi controllers is a major pain in the arse, too.

• Chris you never asked for my opinion..thats the point you just jumped in with critisism...like i said it was late and i was pissed off at the Virus..but hey i cant stop you forming your own opinons on someone over a thread.

• they maybe apples and oranges but if you want to talk about fatness..then one def sounds fatter than the other.true or not.

• they maybe apples and oranges but if you want to talk about fatness..then one def sounds fatter than the other.true or not.

Of course.. you're comparing a digital synth to the most legendary analog monosynth ever made! Remember just that though.. you're comparing an analog monosynth with no fx to a digital polysynth loaded with fx. It's apples to oranges. I'd be disappointed with my virus if I was trying to get moog sounds from it! That's why I bought my moog though. The message here is you'll have better luck getting what you're after if you choose the right tools for the right job. There's loads that the virus can do that my moog can't. As far as digital synths go, I've seen no software synth ever that has as good an interface, fx section, or mod matrix as the virus.

There are many ways to fatten and sweeten the sound of the Virus and just as many ways to screw it up and get a thinner digital sound.

• While I'm not 100% happy with my virus snow. I have found Arturia a lot worse. I owned The 49key controller "The Lab". Biggest hunk of junk ever. The knobs, and buttons on the controller were glitchy and unresponsive. You could only tweak certain controls of the sounds and the CPU would max out randomly while playing. I found there Support Team weak. There are very few updates, and a lot of there software is still only 32 bit.

I'm an active remixer in the US. Love the sounds out of the virus but, have not used it yet on one track. I still have faith that Marc, and his team will get the TI perfect with Lion, iMac, and Logic Pro 9.

One last thing, my Dave Smith stuff, sounds better then any Moog I have played, and a lot cheeper.

• Chris you never asked for my opinion..thats the point you just jumped in with critisism...like i said it was late and i was pissed off at the Virus..but hey i cant stop you forming your own opinons on someone over a thread.

no offence - no hard feelings
    but to say that virus and voyager are completely two different machines is not critisism , is the fact ;) , the reality

• Quite a simple answer
    Lets replace the synths with girls
    I like brunette's, you like blondes
    I will be happy with a brunette, you'll be happy with a blonde
    But if were to have a blonde, I would only play with the brunette.
    Etc, etc
    It's all symantix and suggestive
    The question is: Why would you own a Virus and then compare/complain about it?
    Sell the Virus cheap to me

• cheers for the chimes in..no offence taken its good to air these frustrations and let others stand you in good stead...bit of a stupid argument comparing the two..i think the thing comes down to the fact that alot of time is needed to invest in the virus...theres so much hype surrounding the Virus it easy to forget to treat it with some respect...it feels sometimes like all the work has been done for you,like somebody put it on another thread its a shame it has so many useable presets...sometimes by the time i have actually got the thing to work...i havent got the energy left to then spend hours programming it...the thing for me personally is not to be tempted to use the virus too much..and to use other sound sources to balance a song..i havent got a whole lot a analogue outboard so i find it quite hard to colour the individual parts to make the Virus sit differently within a mix...its quite frustating as i catch myself being lazy and reaching for the Virus for an easy fix...i would be interested to hear how you all get round this as i find the virus to be so clean and crisp on top of already v crisp digital set up.

• NO , YOU don't know how to make it sound FAT !!!!! and i think you never will ... :whistling:

well if you compare a sine wave sub from the arturia minimoog to a sine wave sub from the virus, the virus does sound thinner. now i dont want to get all anal and talk about oscilloscopes etc im just going by what my ears tell me. Yes i can produce some great sounds on the virus, but all im saying is that it seems pretty thin on the bottom end. Both are in the digital domain so anyone talking about legendary analogue vs digital is talking frog pooh. theyre both digital!

and why on earth can i not automate any of the f***ing knobs in usb mode in cubase 5? Jesus f***cking christ. Lord have mercy.