Created a website to store favorite patches, would like complete list from Access

• I'm hoping that a site administrator will read this and rally to my cause. I created a site to keep track of my favorite patches since remembering which of the 3328 patches are my favorites is too much for my little brain. What I would just love would be to get a spreadsheet or comma/tab delimited file with the bank, patch number, and patch name of all 3328 of the default patches so that I can import it into the database I created. That would allow me to not have to enter the information for all the patches. With all of the factory patches in the database and the ability for users to rank them I could show their popularity as well as comments about them from other users.

The site is non-commercial and located here: http://www.detachtour.org/virus/ There is a very basic sign-up - just a user name and password - to make it easy to get started, or you can just use a user name of "guest" and password of "guest," if anyone's interested. (Don't expect changes you make with the guest account to persist.) Comments are welcome. I sent an email to the marketing department at Access about getting a spreadsheet or comma-delimited file. If anyone knows of a better channel, please let me know. I think getting the complete list would make my site much more powerful and useful. Thanks for your attention.

• Thanks, flabberbob. The only problem is that the patchnames.pdf is wrong. Waaaay wrong. However, thanks to another forum member, there is a much more accurate list. Not exactly sure how accurate, but a cursory check of my TI verifies that it is at least 99% more accurate than the patchnames.pdf file. Now if I could only get a list of the factory RAM patches. ::sigh::

• It seems like my program might actually be useful, then. Would the patches from e.g. RAM Backup 102005 A.mid, RAM Backup 102005 B.mid, RAM Backup 102005 C.mid and RAM Backup 102005 D.mid be what you are looking for? If not, can you tell me which files would contain these patches and where I can get them? Then just let me know how you want the lists formatted, and how to get this to you, and I may be able to get you this stuff.

• I don't think that's the most efficient way you could approach this. You can't save any tweaks to the patches in the ROM locations and you'd still have them spread out all over the place.
    Why not open a blank midi bank in the bottom browser then surf through the presets and drag your favorites into the blank bank so you can build a collection of only your favorites? You can then take this further by moving them to categorized banks like a bank for fx, bass, pads, etc.

• It seems like my program might actually be useful, then. Would the patches from e.g. RAM Backup 102005 A.mid, RAM Backup 102005 B.mid, RAM Backup 102005 C.mid and RAM Backup 102005 D.mid be what you are looking for? If not, can you tell me which files would contain these patches and where I can get them? Then just let me know how you want the lists formatted, and how to get this to you, and I may be able to get you this stuff.

Thanks for the offer! Having bought my TI2 keyboard used, I'm a little/lot confused about the RAM banks. Do brand new TI2 keyboards come populated with patches in the RAM banks, or are they all empty? If they are populated, I would love to get a list of the factory-loaded patches, otherwise there wouldn't be much point. I've been able to parse the list of ROM patches that another user put into a PDF (one of you? I forget) and load it into my database. Just not sure what to do with the RAM banks unless they're loaded at the factory in new keyboards.

• I don't think that's the most efficient way you could approach this. You can't save any tweaks to the patches in the ROM locations and you'd still have them spread out all over the place.
    Why not open a blank midi bank in the bottom browser then surf through the presets and drag your favorites into the blank bank so you can build a collection of only your favorites? You can then take this further by moving them to categorized banks like a bank for fx, bass, pads, etc.

Not sure what you're saying, but I think I've got something similar going. Now that I have what appears to be a semi-accurate list of ROM patches loaded into my database, I need to figure out what to do with the RAM banks. I'll probably provide a way to copy ROM patches into RAM banks but if there are factory defaults in the RAM banks, I'd really like to get my hands on a list. What would be super cool would be if I also had the category information for all of those patches. My silly little app does store that, but right now they're all 'Undefined'.

• My guess is that the RAM patches probably differ from TI2 to TI2, based on which patches were new when that TI2 was created, but each TI2 probably has the same patches in the ROM.
    Unless Access confirms that the TI2 ROM patches are all the same, though, we really don't know, and if they aren't, that may cause a bit of an issue for your website.
    Also, basing your patch locations on where in the Virus TI2's ROM patches are located means your site would only be of use to TI2 users. Of course, as a TI2 user, that might not be a problem to you.

I think you could avoid these issues, though, by ignoring where each patch is located on a given Virus.
    Instead, focus on where each patch is located within the files available for download on Access' website.
    That way, each patch should be accessible in the same way for each user, regardless of Virus model or anything else.
    If you decide you want to go that route, I may be able to help you, though I haven't tested my program thoroughly, so I'm not sure if all the files will follow the same formatting as those I've tried thus far.

Also, nms' suggestion is good for general use. I'm not sure if it would negate your need for your website, I guess that depends on if you want to do more than just have your patches organized/searchable.

• Not sure what you're saying, but I think I've got something similar going.

I'm not seeing the similarity at all. What I'm suggesting negates the need for patch lists alltogether. You create a blank midi bank on your computer where your virus presets are stored.. you then drag and drop your favorite virus presets into this midi bank. This allows you to build your own banks of your favorite patches. You would have your blank midi bank open in the lower browser for instance while surfing through presets in the upper browser and picking out the ones you want.

Oh and disregard the RAM banks.. all the sounds there are also listed in the ROM banks. You might as well wipe all the factory ram banks and start building your own.

• My "1.0" "release" was pretty abysmal, as evidenced by a throng of several folks creating logins and not "favoriting" anything. I've revamped the way it works since then, and instead of storing information only for those patches entered by the user, it stores information for all of the 3,840 patches in the TI2. User-entered data (changed category 1 or 2, patch name override, description entered, rating other than zero) is stored in a separate table. I've got records for all 3,840 patches and am working on designating the correct categories for them. I've entered the patch names and categories for banks RAM-A through RAM-D (phew!!) based on what I found in my used TI2, so I don't know how accurate it is, and I'm not sure I have the energy or even the desire to go through the other 3,328 patches. At least I'd only be editing categories and confirming that the import I did from a PDF file I downloaded somewhere on this site is accurate (don't remember what user posted it or in what forum and couldn't find it using the site search). MAN, I wish I could get a spreadsheet or something from Access. Their polite reply was "no."

Anyway, I think the site might be more usable now. I should probably be playing around with my killer synth than fiddling with the site, but, well, circumstances are such that the latter is easier for me right now. Cheers.

• Probably Access doesn't have such a spreadsheet; I can't imagine them refusing that kind of information without a good reason, it's not like you're asking how the internals of the synth work. They probably just get x patches from their designers and throw them on the synth.
    I feel your pain though; going through so many patches to get the names and categories manually would be horrible. It'd probably be a lot easier to use some sort of program that ripped this data from the files the patches are stored in. I think somebody in this thread was working on that kinda thing...

Anyhow, I like the site, it's minimalistic and easy to navigate. I'd like to make a few proposals though. I think it would make sense to allow displaying 128 or all patches per page, of a bank. Perhaps options for 32, 64 or 128 would make sense as well.
    Another thought - since most patches won't have descriptions, but they should all have the other fields, perhaps the description could be the rightmost column? Also, an option to hide the description and display, effectively, a second page's worth of data to the side of what is currently displayed might be nice, as the description field takes up enough space that on a widescreen monitor you could really fit a lot more stuff on the screen without that field.
    Also, have you thought about adding the ability to search every user's entries rather than just the currently selected? With this many patches, it seems a given user is unlikely to setup descriptions for each one, but if the site had many users, there would probably be descriptions for most patches.

• noct Thanks for the suggestions!! Those are great. I have a couple of small fixes to make, but will consider your suggestions once those are done. Including other users' edits in searches is especially apt and would make the site much more usable. I think I'll include an option for that, i.e., an "All Users" checkbox. Or, hmm...maybe I should start making some music. :rolleyes: I'm still trying to figure out what to do about an audio interface since TI is nearly impossible with the latency problems in my Asus G73JW. I thought that with 14GB of RAM(!!!) I wouldn't have such problems, but as it turns out, all four of my USB ports are unusable. One of them is USB 3.0 and I can't even connect with that port, and the other three are hubs so there is a latency of what feels like a couple hundred milliseconds; what Access dubs "uncomfortable." What an understatement!

Ruari Are you the one from whom I got the PDF file? I did find one of all the ROM banks somewhere in these forums, exported it to a text file, and scraped the patch names out of it. If you're the one from whom I got it, I'd like to give you credit for it on my little site. Not that it will get you any notoriety, but I like to give credit where credit is due.