Virus TI 4.5.3.x Drivers with Core i7 Hardware - URGENT HELP!

• Dear Jorg,

This problem is now becoming VERY urgent and I need to get my Virus Synth back up and running to complete some audio work.
    I currently have a very expensive Virus TI and a very expensive, very powerful PC that I can't use due to these problems.

I have now completely re-formatted my PC and re-installed Windows 7 clean from scratch with NO other software.

The Virus TI was the first piece of hardware and first piece of software installed after the rebuild. The Synth has firmware 4.5.3.0 and I'm using the 4.5.3.0.0 64 Bit Drivers with Windows 7 Professional SP1

I am just about able to get the USB driver and AUDIO driver installed but I need to use the F8 option during Windows 7 boot to 'Disable Driver Signature Checking'
    Without selecting this option during boot the drivers DO NOT install. It's very clear that the Virus TI driver pack does not work well with new Core i7 hardware and I don't see why I should fork out for an additional USB card.

The MIDI driver shows in Device Manager as an Unknown Device and when trying to update this I get the bluescreen of death as follows:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x000000D1 (0x0000000000000008 0x0000000000000002 0x0000000000000000 0xFFFFF88006029621)

VirusUSB.sys Address FFFFF88006029621 base at FFFFF88006000000 date stamp 4bfe6cea

I have also attached the SETUPAPI log files as requested

I would like an answer to this as soon as possible and my issue marked as urgent please

Kind Regards,

Andy Martin

• to bypass the F8 hassle, go into control panel, users and disable UAC, User Account Control. I am running a Core i7 Gen. 2 processor in Windows 7 x64 SP1 with no issues like you describe. I do get crackles in playback however.

• Dear Fringe,

The UAC makes no difference whatsoever as I'm already an Administrator of the O/S but I tried lowering the settings anyway.

Jorg had sent some switches to put after the installer to generate a log file - I have tried the installer again (twice) and sent two output log files for the developers to look at.

I have also re-attached another 'setupapi.dev.log' file as I found something quite interesting whilst trying to install the drivers.

On my system, both USB & Audio Drivers appear to be installed correctly. However, the MIDI element is simply listed as 'Midi Device' not 'Virus TI MIDI Driver' like it should be.
    This causes a problem whereby Cubase doesn't see the MIDI device as a keyboard and therefore I can't play the keys to input notation into my sequencer!

If I choose to right-click and un-install the Virus TI USB 2.8.45 driver from Device Manager and reboot, the Virus TI MIDI Driver appears correctly. Totally bizarre!
    If I then try and manually re-install the driver for the USB element, the machine causes the same BSOD as before.

From a technical point of view, this looks like two drivers are 'fighting' with each other when Windows 7 is trying to perform the installation.

I always remember having similar niggles with my old PC and that too featured an ASUS motherboard.
    My new setup is Core i7 2700k 3.5GHz, Asus P8Z68 Pro/Gen3, 16GB RAM, Crucial M4 SSD 256GB, 2 x 1TB SATA HD, RME HDSP 9632 and I've tried all USB ports with the same result.

I don't have a separate USB card to try but I can certainly purchase one and try this. Surely the Access Developers can sort this problem since Core i7 hardware is becoming more popular
    Is there a particular make/model USB card that Access Music recommend or have verified for use with the Virus Synth? Has anyone else got a recommended USB card?

Andy Martin (MCSE/MCTS/CCA)

• Looking at the following - PEXUSB400 4 Port PCI Express USB 2.0 Adapter Card

Has anyone tested such card? Just looking at the fact this has 'Independent' ports rather than some of the cheaper cards.

Add four independent USB 2.0 ports capable of a maximum transfer rate of 480Mbps per port to a PCI Express PC. The PEXUSB400 4 Port PCI Express USB 2.0 Adapter Card lets you connect up to 4 USB 2.0 external peripherals to your PCIe-enabled computer, with unique capability to provide full high-speed USB data transfer rates of up to 480 Mbps on each port independently. The high-speed adapter card installs easily in an x1 PCI Express slot, and with 4 independent USB 2.0 ports, can address up to 127 USB devices per port for a maximum of 508 USB devices

• I was having the same problem. i was fortuned to have 2 usb front ports that belong to the case, and work just perfect!

Now the problem is semi-fixed because the problem with the onboard usb ports still exists!!

By the way, i have the same motherboard P8Z68-vpro/gen3 and i7 2600k processor so the question is what does this mean???

Any clue??

Best regards

• I'm having the exact same problem as anmartin1105, using an additional USB-PCIe-host card. Getting the exact same bluescreen (IRQ not less or equal)

CPU is core-i7 sandy bridge, OS is Win7 x64. Using the the 4.5.3.x drivers
    And I never got the TI-Snow drivers working on my onboard USBs (Asus P8P67-M)

• I had the exact same issue, also with a Sandy Bridge ASUS laptop.
    But I managed to solve it.
    In my case it was caused by installing the Virus software and connecting the Virus to a USB3 port when the installer asked for it.
    It seems the Virus MIDI driver does not like USB3. It always crashes giving a BSOD.
    Once crashed upon installation, it leaves the Virus drivers in a corrupt state. Therefore you get all these crazy messages like the driver not being signed etc. This is all bogus, the drivers are just corrupt because of the crash.
    You cannot solve this by reinstalling the Virus software, nor by manually updating the Virus drivers in Device Manager.
    In order to fix this issue do the following, in this exact order:
    - With the Virus connected to a USB port, uninstall the Virus TI Audio, Virus TI Midi and Virus USB devices in Windows Device Manager, thereby also forcing a removal of the driver (do this by ticking the check box in the dialog that appears when uninstalling the device). This is VERY IMPORTANT, otherwise the corrupt drivers will not be removed!

- Detach the Virus from the USB port

- Uninstall the Virus software 4.5.3 using Control Panel

- Reboot

- Do NOT connect the Virus yet

- Reinstall the Virus software 4.5.3. Do NOT connect the Virus, even if the installer asks for it. Just click OK when it asks to connect the Virus.

- Reboot

- Connect the Virus TI to a USB2 port

- The drivers are now all installed correctly with no errors!

• The laptop is an Asus N55SF model.
    It has an ASMedia USB 3 chipset.
    I will check tomorrow to see which USB 3 driver version it is using.
    If I connect the Virus TI to the USB 3 port when Windows is running, it get a BSOD again.
    After reboot, if I just leave the Virus TI connected to the USB 3 port it doesn't give a BSOD, but the midi driver does not get loaded. USB and audio do work in this case.
    So installing the Virus TI drivers when connected to the USB 3 port or hotswapping to the USB 3 port after succesful installation of the drivers gives a BSOD. This is perfectly reproducible.

• The laptop is an Asus N55SF model.
    It has an ASMedia USB 3 chipset.
    I will check tomorrow to see which USB 3 driver version it is using.
    If I connect the Virus TI to the USB 3 port when Windows is running, it get a BSOD again.
    After reboot, if I just leave the Virus TI connected to the USB 3 port it doesn't give a BSOD, but the midi driver does not get loaded. USB and audio do work in this case.
    So installing the Virus TI drivers when connected to the USB 3 port or hotswapping to the USB 3 port after succesful installation of the drivers gives a BSOD. This is perfectly reproducible.

would you please email this into support?
    thanks, marc