Possible dumb question about Ti and VST effects

• I'm using Cubase Studio 4 and have the Ti control centre all set up. I have about 8 midi channels open in Cubase and have the Ti setup accordingly. What I can't seem to do is insert Sandford Reverb (for example) onto one of the Ti parts. Is this even possible?

I can't see any way to do this? :S

• You are probably opening the midi inserts instead of the audio ones.

Select your virus track. if you click the lil e at the top this opens the midi inserts/sends. The lil e at the bottom, under the Q where it says quick controls opens up the inserts you need.

It's worth mentioning that any effect you add on here will effect all the virus parts, as its at the audio stage.

Imagine the midi notes in cubase, the triggers. They travel to the virus via usb then all the audio travels back to your daw. If you add a vst plug in effect in your daw, It's In the chain after the virus has created all the sounds. You can't add the effect before the virus as there is no audio there. It's just the midi note triggers. :huh: not good at explaining things.

Thank fully we have 3 usb outs on the virus. If I want to add say side chain compression to 1 virus part and not the rest i set it up as normal then send all the other virus parts to go out usb out 2 instead of usb out 1 which will have the compression effecting it.

• Aha thanks. I think I understand what you're saying. I'm just used to inserting VST synths on an instrument track and treating it just like audio with inserted FX.

I'll have an experiment and see what I can come up with.

I guess another way to do it is to render a virus instrument as audio and just use that on an audio channel.

Cheers!

• This is possible, but this of course is way less flexible than keeping the TI PlugIn loaded in the Cubase VST Instruments panel and simply adding effects as inserts into the audio channels of the Virus TI Control PlugIn in the Cubase mixer.

On a different note: with reverbs (especially if they are quite CPU hungry) I prefer loading them as send effects in Cubase and then simply adding a send to the audio channel of the TI PlugIn or any other audio source I want to use the reverb for. But that's just my 2 cents...

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Zitat

This is possible, but this of course is way less flexible than keeping the TI PlugIn loaded in the Cubase VST Instruments panel and simply adding effects as inserts into the audio channels of the Virus TI Control PlugIn in the Cubase mixer.

On a different note: with reverbs (especially if they are quite CPU hungry) I prefer loading them as send effects in Cubase and then simply adding a send to the audio channel of the TI PlugIn or any other audio source I want to use the reverb for. But that's just my 2 cents...

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

What i'm most likely to want to use is the compressor in Cubase so I can sidechain it with my kick etc. I'm used to just inserting a compressor on each channel that I want to sidechain and not really thinking about it. I agree about having a reverb on a send but the CPU overhead for reverbs I use is negligable these days I think. I like the sound of the Ti reverb anyway so i'd probably use that most of the time.

I think it's just a case of getting my head round a new way of routing things instead of just 'load instrument channel x 10'!

I'm not sure what you mean by adding effects as inserts on the Ti audio channel. This would effect all the Virus parts i'm using surely?

• Well, in Cubase you can have up to 3 stereo outputs from the TI Control PlugIn into the Cubase mixer, so you could have e.g. one output with the compressor and two more stereo outs to add other effects.

Adding insert effects to the Virus TI Control PlugIn audio channels works in the same way as adding inserts to an instrument channel in the Cubase mixer.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Well, in Cubase you can have up to 3 stereo outputs from the TI Control PlugIn into the Cubase mixer, so you could have e.g. one output with the compressor and two more stereo outs to add other effects.

Adding insert effects to the Virus TI Control PlugIn audio channels works in the same way as adding inserts to an instrument channel in the Cubase mixer.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

Ok thanks :)

I definately need to look in greater detail how the audio/midi is routed.

I suppose the best way to look at it is that each of the three USB audio outputs from the Ti can be effected as an entire buss.

Slowly making sense now lol

• You will need the upgrade of cubase 4 to do the sidechain. I could send you a Cubase file with the virus vc open with in it. A simple few tracks with sidechain added so you can see how to do it.

It is extremely simple once you know how.

you also need to turn on the other usb outs. I Forgot how to do this the other day and thought the feature i used most is now unavailable in the latest upgrade. I was kindly reminded on the other forum.

• You will need the upgrade of cubase 4 to do the sidechain. I could send you a Cubase file with the virus vc open with in it. A simple few tracks with sidechain added so you can see how to do it.

It is extremely simple once you know how.

you also need to turn on the other usb outs. I Forgot how to do this the other day and thought the feature i used most is now unavailable in the latest upgrade. I was kindly reminded on the other forum.

I can do sidechaining in Cubase Studio 4, I use it on the Cubase compressor all the time.

I'd appreciate the Cubase file to see how you do it though :)

Many thanks

• http://www.2shared.com/file/8056736/328d419f/Manassi.html
    not sure if that link works but try the 1 below

http://rapidshare.com/files/285297725/Manassi.rar

Its a cubase file with all the extra bits.

I've put notes in the cubase note pad to explain how to do the sidechain using the virus ti & cubase 4.

Start on the globaldjms miditrack, click notepad.

Hope it helps. Please dont comment on the sounds etc. It's purely to show how to sidechain.

Anyone and everyone feel free to download.

Changed the link....

• I really appreciate this.

I shall try it out later on :)

Thanks