roland mc808 sequencing 5\6 channels in virus b multi timbral mode.

• hi i hope u all are well.

the manual is not very discriptive here and i hoped maybe some one here could help

how do i make multi timbral patches so that i can sequence it wiff da mc808.

it plays da factory banks fine, but who wants to play someone elses stuff

my setup would more or less look like this

channel 1 base 2/3 ambiance 4 noise 5 lead :?:

ps i am a moob i mean a noob so go slow if its posible :thumbup:

kind regards

Da Shroom of Doom :thumbup:

• Hello,
    To be able to play more than one single sound of your Virus b model, you need to set the unit into MULTIMODE. Only in MULTIMODE can you play more than a single sound at the same time. Besides that the MULTIMODE allows you to set the Midi channel, output, keyboard range, volume, etc. per sound.
    The MULTIMODE however only "refers" to the patches in the RAM and ROM Banks of the Virus b, so the MULTIMODE is nothing else but a way to combine sounds for a multi-timbral setup. So if you would select e.g. sound RAM A22 to PART 1 in MULTIMODE, this is the exact same sound as RAM A22 when you play the unit in SINGLE MODE. I hope this explains how the overall system works. The MULTIMODE does NOT have a separate storage for sounds. It just loads the sounds the unit has in its RAM and ROM Banks anyway.

So once you're in MULTIMODE, hit the EDIT button left of the MULTI button to enter the units' Multi Edit menus. On the right side of the display you then will use the PARAMETER buttons to switch to different menu entries and the PART buttons to switch to different PARTs in MULTIMODE. In your case I would set up a Multi program that basically has

PART 1 set to Midi channel 1
    PART 2 set to Midi channel 2
    PART 3 set to Midi channel 3
    and so forth...

and then select the sounds you want etc.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• hi Jörg

that is excelent worked like a bomb and was very easy to do thanx a lot

i just have one more question.

the MC808 is sequencing like a mofo i just have one more question if anyone can help

the virus does not pick up the global transposing message from the roland when playing life

is this a problem with the virus not recieving the mesagge or the mc not sending it.

virus settings is

midi tx total

mide rx enable

midi blobal chanl 1

midi panel int+midi

midi clock rx auto

midi vol and prog change and arpagio send enabled

midi device id 1

midi controle low-page = controle hi-page = sysex

ps when i try to load custom paches i got of the access site

virus respond wiff checksum error

but when i did system update a minute befor all worked fine (clock rx had to be set to the off posission)

kind regards

yours in synth noise :thumbup:

• There's no feature in the Virus that would do this and there's no general transpose Midi Controller number either, so this is most likely a Roland-internal thing and this simply might not work with other gear (I could not tell you how this should work with the Virus to be honest).

The only way around this is to actually transpose the Midi notes sent to the Virus.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner