MIDI Cables

• Hi all,

Because of recent problems with Virus Control and USB issues, i am considering
    using MIDI cables and SPDIF for my audio/midi source.
    The only thing i am wondering about is, How do i save state/sounds when using a project with multiple sounds coming from the virus?
    I suppose this is the only way i can get it working properly until access issue an update to fix my problems.

Chris

• Excellent mate,

Well thought of :)

So before I open a project I just load the VST and load the saved project / sounds and it will load all my saved data on the Virus?

Chris

• If the sounds are already loaded in your RAM/ROM banks then MIDI patch/bank change messages are enough. Depending on your DAW you can look into the settings of each MIDI track, or simply send them as MIDI events at the beginning of the track.
    if those are sounds you have designed yourself on the fly while writing the music, you can either save them to an empty patch in a bank (and go back to doing what I suggested in the first paragraph), or sysEx dump them into the DAW. Regarding sysEx dump, there are many ways to do it and you should consult the manual to find the one that fits you, but to give you a clue, you can dump an individual sound, or a whole multi.

• Hi Bob,

So for each event I literally have to record changes as events so that when it plays it is playing the exact sound I have created/used ?
    What about using Global channels, how does it select the different sounds for each channel? Do I have to manually load them in?

I suppose another way I could do it is load a VM in parallels desktop and load a cubase installation with the VST mentioned earlier to load the VIRUS state.

Would that work?

• So for each event I literally have to record changes as events so that when it plays it is playing the exact sound I have created/used ?

Well, that depends on what you call an event in this context. If, for example you are playing around with the filter cutoff, a la TB303, that falls under automation which you have to record anyway. I was more talking about the first few MIDI messages you send the instrument, before you play the first note, just to initialize the correct sound for each channel (part).

What about using Global channels, how does it select the different sounds for each channel?

Don't take my word for it, but I think I read somewhere that the Virus does not support all global channel MIDI commands.

I suppose another way I could do it is load a VM in parallels desktop and load a cubase installation with the VST mentioned earlier to load the VIRUS state.
    Would that work?

If the PC host is connected to the MIDI port, how will the Mac host use it? Maybe using rewire you can enslave the PC host...?