VIRUS LATENCY VERY HIGH AFTER INSTALLING CUBASE 5/WIN 7 PLEASE HELP!!!

• Yo guys! Proud owner of a virus for about 2 years now.

*Since i installed cubase 5 and windows 7 my virus has very bad latency and lag problems. URGENTLY want it back to scratch. Please if anyone can help!!! Ive done lots of forum hopping and tried other techniques nothing will help. When i was using cubase 3 and windows xp all was fine. Thanks in advance. Please help me if you know any fixes!!!

• im using cubase6 and win 7 x64 and connection has never dropped.

one thing I had to tweak was in the power saving settings (control Panel->hardware and sound ->power options). I had to disable USB turn off, so that My USB ports are always on and never sleep.

also I found that setting my MR816 audio interface to 256 latency setting, worked the best with virus.

• Thanks man i will try that. I have already tried tweaking the power settings and disabling the one setting in a GPO. It just makes no sense that suddenly it would get epic latency when its the exact same pc!

• Live mode is controlled by a button on the buttom left of the Virus Control window. The latency of your audio interface is controlled by the size of its output buffer. Open the configuration window of your interface (I think it's available from the configuration window of cubase, around where you allocate ASIO channels), and try to reduce the size of the output buffer. Access recommends the following sizes: 64 samples, 128 samples, 256 samples and 512 samples.

• Live mode is controlled by a button on the buttom left of the Virus Control window. The latency of your audio interface is controlled by the size of its output buffer. Open the configuration window of your interface (I think it's available from the configuration window of cubase, around where you allocate ASIO channels), and try to reduce the size of the output buffer. Access recommends the following sizes: 64 samples, 128 samples, 256 samples and 512 samples.

I have done that. Its currently on 512, if i go to 256 and bounce its lags my whole cubase and sometimes when i export it says "disk overload" but when its on 512 i get virus lag and it says "cpu overload"
    This is what i dont get. Bcoz before it wouldnt lag on either i dont think?
    Does live mode reduce latency?
    Please help : /

Thanks for the help Bob. But i have tried that already, If i put it on 256 -> It makes cubase itself lag and when i export audio mixdown it gives me an error "disk overload". Its currently on 512. cubase 5 doesnt give an option for above 512. But it stil lags even though it is on 512.
    Pleaase heeelp :/ any questions ill be happy to answer. I just dont get why if it is the same pc!! Must be a default windows 7 or cubase setting that in windows xp or cubase 3 was not default. and now its messing with my virus. Make sense?
    X(

• What are your system specs? I'm thinking that you might have a bad combination of using new software on an older system, seeing as you've upgraded cubase and windows but not your pc. Things will always slow down when this happens. You could try disabling a few windows 7 features and background processes when using cubase, to free up some resources. I'm just guessing tho as i don't know your system specs, but that latency is crazy high. Mines on 128 samples.

Theres a free tool called dpc latency checker, if you run it it'll show your systems performance. Any red spikes will cause buffer overloads.

Also in Cubase theres a setting to preload a bit of audio, might be worth trying this, see if it makes any difference.

Are you using the virus as an audio interface? Or do you have a dedicated interface?

• By definition.
    Try to use your VC in "2 out" mode instead of "3 out (/ 1 in)". Does it improve the overload messages? BTW are you using the VST2 or VST3 version of the plugin?

VST 3. How exactly do you mean "2 out" mode? in cubase or on the virus itself or ? :) thanks alot for tryna help me man

• CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz
    RAM:4 Gigs
    Windows 7
    Oh i wasn't aware that can happen... i have never had probs with my PC handling cubase ever and making the virus lag.
    That latency is the latency that shows if u go to the plug in information window and scroll to the virus. Dunno if its the samples.
    and yea man im using the virus as my soundcard.. used to have a lexicon alpha. thanks bro :)

• Well generally newer software requires higher spec computers to run it, and as a result will run slower on an older pc. But your system sounds like it should run it fine.

The only changes you've made are newer os and cubase. So its likely to be a software problem with one or the other.

Have you patched cubase to the latest version?

Also theres a good guide to optimize windows 7 for audio here: http://www.native-instruments.…Tips+for+audio+processing

• Yea man, i have. Cant be that, im really leaning towards the idea its some sort of default setting in cubase 5 that was not default in cubase 3. What do you think? : /

• i've checked on mine under plug in information, and mine says 3072. i don't know what that means, but i don't have any latency problems. my driver settings are at 128 samples and working fine.

i'm not aware of any particular setting on cubase 5 that would cause latency. did you try the troubleshooting tips in the link i sent you? if so, what did dpc latency checker results come out like?

and have you tried every suggestion that others have said? such as changing the output to 2 out mode, updating usb drivers, disabling power saving on usb etc?

when you get this problem, is it on a new cubase project? or one full of other plugins? best to try on a fresh project in case its another vst causing the problem. i have a spectrum analyzer that takes up 50% cpu on my laptop so i had to stop using it.

what else is running on your system? best to stop all other programs and see if it helps. make sure virus scans are disabled, disk defrags, downloads, anything that takes up background power. check your cpu usage and make sure its low(0-1% is ideal) before starting cubase.

what sample rate is your project set to? try setting it to 44.1khz to see if it helps.

what version of cubase and virus vst are you using with regard to 32 bit and 64 bit? they should be the same for best performance.

can't really think of anything else to suggest. i'm pretty new to the virus still but have been troubleshooting computers for years. so if anyone who has more virus knowledge has any ideas i'd be interested to hear them.

• Hey dude. My net has been down. So i couldnt get back to the forum. Here is the results of running latency mon. Maybe you can direct me from here?? Really need to get my virus back. I havent even been using it in my latest tracks bcoz it makes everything sound out of time.

Heres the Pic man. I ran it while in cubase in a project im busy working on with The virus open and running, outputting to a midi track.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/rg35p

Really hope you can help :) :) :)