Thinking of buying an old Virus, would like a little advice.

• Hi, I'm thinking of getting an old virus and was wondering if it is worth it in my position. I would love to get a new TI but even the snow is a little out of my price range right now, so I was thinking of picking up one of the older models on the second hand market. I'll mainly be wanting it for resampling purposes. In particular I'll be wanting to make techy neurophunk style DnB/Dubstep bass lines, reeses and stabs (think Noisia, Spor, Billain etc).

At the moment I mainly use Massive and was wondering how those older models of the virus compare? I hear lots of good things about the "sound " of the virus, but that's mainly the newer TI range. I was wondering what the older versions sound is like in comparison to modern soft synths?

So going on what I've said here is it worth picking up a second hand Virus? My other option is picking up one if the new Arturia MiniBrutes, which are around the same price as a second hand Virus B and maybe picking up a TI further down the line when I have more money.

Anyone with any experience with these older models have any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

• HI im an old virus user and still use the virus rack xl (black). One thing i found was i can use some of the virus ti patches that are on this site, not all the patches work but most give an interesting sound not found if you used them with the ti ,like you i would like to own a new virus but the xl still gives me loads of sounds to use in my productions.
    hope this helps
    regards
    terry

• I find that for the specific type of music you mention, soft synths are more convenient, as the actual note data is very simple, but the amount of knob tweaking is enormous, which is harder to follow with external hardware synths. If you are after the virus for sampling purposes only, you can find many sample banks of classic virus sounds (free and commercial) which you can use as building blocks for highly processed sounds.

• Get a second hand Ti 1.....twice the power twice the sounds at least 5 times more the knobs and buttons and a bigger screen....plus more for less...trust me you will be made up with this choice!!