PT8 out of Sync with Virus TI

• Dear Access support

I figured out a problem with my Access Virus(TIOS 4.0.2.01 and previous versions) in combination with ProTools 8.0.3 cs2 LE (RTAS) and previous versions.

- Arp patches don't sync after all, it seems like they are out of the tempo range from the host.
    It sounds like variable tempo changes self-contained to PT. The same thing for arps with or without "LIVE Mode".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - 04/28/2010 -

Quoted from Marc (Access Music)

one of the core differences of protools HD and LE is that HD features auto latency compensation whereas LE doesn't. with HD protools takes care of the delay, with LE, the user has to by inserting delay compensation plug-ins. sparing a discussion why this all is and if it is a modern approach, this is what avid presents us with an nothing that can be changed from anybody but avid. but is this really what we're talking about here? the fact that LE does not feature delay compensation is well documented and for sure cannot be the problem you guys facing?
    In protools HD, the delays are managed by inserting "invisible" delay plug-ins. those plug-ins only run in the DSP world, therefore they are not available to LE customers. the plug-ins report their latency to the host, the host has to deal with the latency, the plug-in cannot do that. the reason why you don't face the same problem with most other plug-ins is that they don't report latency (or a significant latency) to the host in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In other words: VC is not able to sync to the host with RTAS until Avid will change this. (LE and M-Powered only)

• Hi Aether,

What are the specs on your computer? (Brand/model, motherboard, processor, ram, graphics, etc.) I, too, run Pro Tools and Cubase with my Virus TI but do not have any of the arp sync problems that you describe. I know that you're only experiencing this problem in Pro Tools, but perhaps more system information can help narrow down this problem.

• Dear Donnydonny

HD: 4 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (Raid 10)
    SC: RME HDSP9632 slaved to UA 2192 in combination with UAD-2 Solo
    PT: Digidesign 003 Rack+ slaved to UA 2192
    CPU: Intel QuadCore Q9550 @ 2.83 gHz, OC to ~ 3.4 gHz
    MB: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
    RAM: Kingston 2 x 2 GB 800 mHz FSB
    GFX: Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT

My system is stable and works fine after all. The partition from Windows is the same like ProTools - I don't think that could be a problem for this configuration.
    The sync problem is probably a unfixed bug in RTAS mode, because the RTAS support for Virus TI is a new feature. I don't have any idea how to fix this.

• Wow, our systems are almost the same. I have the same motherboard and also run a Core 2 Quad (Q6600, though, and my video card is 8400 GS). I would consider updating to SP3 as that contains a few hotfixes for multi-core processors that were related to sync issues in Pro Tools.

• How exactly are the arps out of sync? Are they consistently off by the same amount or are the tempos speeding up and slowing down?

• Yes can Access PLEASE address this problem...it has persisted with every OS release with nothing whatsoever being done about it & to be honest its a joke that they are releasing 64 bit compatibility & the fricken arps do not sync to the session tempo in PT. I have told access support how to recreate it more than once...nothing. I have gone on & on about it on the unofficial forum...zip. If you want your arps to sync forget VC, you have to use the audio outs & a midi lead & dont forget to allow for latency : (

• I never really had to fix anything... this has always just worked for me. *feels bad* 2 things I would do/try would be to see if you can clock the TI off of the 2192 via S/PDIF. I am clocking my TI off of the M-Audio ProFire 2626 via S/PDIF so that may fix your problem. Also, check to see if you can enable MIDI beat clock in Pro Tools for the Virus ports.

• Tanks for your input Donnydonny, but it does not work.
    I tried to do it already: MIDI Beatclock from PT to Virus and SPDIF Out from my 003 Rack+ to Virus SPDIF In.

No sync after all.

You wrote you use the M-Audio ProFire 2626. That means you use ProTools M-Powered?
    I use PT 8.0.1 LE. I think the problem occurs just in PT LE.
    Maybe TDM and M-Powered works fine?

• Yeah, I'm pretty sure its an LE problem. I can run the VST version in Ableton Live on the same set up with no problems, the only difference is my 002 firewire interface has to come into play for PT to work so this should not be an issue. Glad you took the time to send access a session but dont hold your breath waiting for a fix...it's been over a year since I first contacted them about this problem & have totally lost patience with there lame excuses.

• A statement from Access about Bernies post would be good.
    Im not disposed to wait another year for a working VirusControl RTAS version for PT LE.

I will not change my sequencer this time anymore, because PT is awesome and the routing system and audio editings are much complexer then in other sequencers.

Btw, i updated to OS 3.3 - No changes for ARP syncs.

• Aether, is there any way that you could clock the TI off of the 2192? I'd doubt that it would still make a difference as that is primarily for audio and it seems like your issue is more related to MIDI sync.

I would highly doubt that it is an LE-only issue as the Pro Tools software is the same (for LE and MP) just looks for different hardware... if I have some extra time this weekend I can try it with an Mbox 2 and PTLE 8.0.1 to see what happens.

• Hello Donnydonny

I agree with your assumption the MIDI sync could be the problem, and still they are some audio-sync-crackles just with ARP sounds.
    It's also unusual for a RTAS-Plugin to set a MIDI offset (like I have to do with VirusControl to get in sync with other MIDI-Plugins like Battery for example)*
    ProTools should compensate these MIDI offsets automaticly for RTAS-Plugs.

At the moment i connect my Virus without any MIDI-cable, just straight USB.
    I connected my MIDI-interface to the Virus a while ago (Output Interface > Input Virus. Output Virus > Input Interface).
    Also I tried all these options I have to do for a straight sync for MIDI: BeatClock and Interface-Setups in PT.

I would be really glad for your workout this weekend, please post your results and impressions.

*check this go get your effective latency of Virus TI for recorded layers:
    Code a pulse or sinus for your Virus and make a MIDI-layer. Write a note at the beginning of your region and select this region. Record it to an audiotrack.
    Now you will have a delay between the note and the recorded signal - This is your global offset for your Virus.

• It's the first time for many many years to ask Access for some help.
    I'm far to believe they won't help me after this posts, but it seems to be like that?

I send my PT-session and audiofiles to describe the problem for ARP patches.
    I tried to do some advanced troubleshooting but there is no way for me to fix the problem.

I'm sirously not the only customer with this problem. Words like "We will check the problem on our own" or "We know the problem, please give us some time to fix it" can help me more then silence from the side of Access.
    Honestly: I love my Virus, but Access makes me angry when they say it's RTAS comtabile in this case.

My Virus is not working, and this is fact!

Please Access, how can I help you to can help me?