WNAMM12: Access Virus Ti OS 5 !!!!!!!!

• hopefully they will. pretty much all mod matrix destinations are used up right now and we need to make some space.

I'm just posting this here in case it gets missed in the other thread.

Osc 1 Wave Select & Osc 2 Wave Select are surely prime candidates for removal, as pointed out in another thread these are parameters which should not be tweaked during a performance - suggesting that they could be removed from the destinations list & not be missed.

• Zitat von Ruari

Osc 1 Wave Select & Osc 2 Wave Select are surely prime candidates for removal, as pointed out in another thread these are parameters which should not be tweaked during a performance - suggesting that they could be removed from the destinations list & not be missed.

Actually, quite a few legacy patches will have made use of this, as you get quite a cool wave sequence type effect when you modulate this parameter.

• Actually, quite a few legacy patches will have made use of this, as you get quite a cool wave sequence type effect when you modulate this parameter.

I stand corrected, you are totally right but this effect only seems to work properly if you have the classic oscillators selected & are over at the wave side of the oscillator shape.

Selecting wavetable or any of the more complex oscillator types does not sound anywhere near the same for me.

• Amazing as always! Thanks Access! Looking forward to the new filters and envelopes :thumbup:

One question though:
    Why are the new filters "removed" from the filter interface and instead placed in the effect part of the Ti? This made sense for a frequency shifter, but now it kind of separates the extra filters. I'm guessing the default filters are hard-wired into the synth, with the new ones being more of an insert effect, but why not make them the part of the filter interface, perhaps similar to the new envelopes, having a tab for switching between filters, and more importantly, having a direct modulation link section?
    It won't matter to the expert users ofc, as we'll tweak it though the mod matrix, but your less techy users might find it less than obvious to use and modulate, not to mention being in a bit of an unexpected place.

Just an idea... :)

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• Amazing as always! Thanks Access! Looking forward to the new filters and envelopes :thumbup:

One question though:
    Why are the new filters "removed" from the filter interface and instead placed in the effect part of the Ti? This made sense for a frequency shifter, but now it kind of separates the extra filters. I'm guessing the default filters are hard-wired into the synth, with the new ones being more of an insert effect, but why not make them the part of the filter interface, perhaps similar to the new envelopes, having a tab for switching between filters, and more importantly, having a direct modulation link section?
    It won't matter to the expert users ofc, as we'll tweak it though the mod matrix, but your less techy users might find it less than obvious to use and modulate, not to mention being in a bit of an unexpected place.

Agree!
    +1 ...

One question though:

From my understanding the difference is that the new filters are not polyphonic. In the normal filter section each note triggers the a new filter envelope. Imagine the filters in the fx section as an external piece of gear that processes the audio signal. Please correct me if I am wrong but that´s how it should work.

• From my understanding the difference is that the new filters are not polyphonic. In the normal filter section each note triggers the a new filter envelope. Imagine the filters in the fx section as an external piece of gear that processes the audio signal. Please correct me if I am wrong but that´s how it should work.

That's basically what I said. And yes, they're probably gonna be monophonic, which is a shame as that makes them a lot less flexible, but as with any parameter they can still be modified by an envelope/LFO, and IMHO, filters always benefit from a GUI that provides an easy way of linking them on the same page. Especially the envelope, which is basic part of most (if not all) filters; cut/res/env ;)
    An analogy would be a chorus/phase effect with the rate/depth being done only via the mod matrix. It COULD be done that way, but it's not very practical.

But again, it's just my opinion, coming from use of a lot of VST synths, which over time, developed a kind of "standard" for these things, created by a decade of experimenting with GUI's and feedback from users. Kind of like how, in the beginnings of the VST era, many developers experimented with the fundamentals of the interface; tweaking the knobs was linear, circular, etc, resetting the parameter was done with a different key in each VST.... but over time it all became standardized.

However, I'm sure Access knows what they're doing, and whatever the final interface for the OS5 will be, it won't stop me from using the tasty new filters :)

DAW: Cubase 7.5 (x86/x64)
    CPU: Intel i7 930 @ 4.0GHz
    MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: 3x 2GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB DDR5
    HDD: Intel 320 120GB SSD, 2x Seagate 320GB (raid0)
    Sound: E-mu 1212M
    Monitoring: Dynaudio BM6A Mk2 + BM9S Sub
    DSP: UAD-2 Duo
    USB: Virus Ti, BCF2000, Novation Remote SL...

• Thanks and Thanks again for all the updates for the virus ti. I can´t wait to see the os5 with all that envelopes and new filters.
    A question i would like to make to Marc is, ¿Are you planning at access to make the arpeggiator user patter editable without the virus control?, it would be a very nice property. Anyway, again Thanks for the incredibles updates.

• I think that they are are giggling, knowing that they Access have their filter fingers knobbing iOS5 while our nails being shortened by our teeth.
    Just imagine the noise around the world of the keys tapping away, once it's released !!!!