So, what audio interface or sound card do you use (with the Virus)?

• For people who do not use the Virus TI as a sound card, what sound card/audio interface do you use in your setup?

How would you rate your entire setup's performance out of 10?

Are you running the Virus Control VST via USB or are you routing the Virus through the audio interface?

Can one route the Virus into an audio interface and via USB simultaneously?

I've been trying to use the TI Snow as my sound card but haven't had much luck. Lots of sync issues, errors, latency, full-out crashes, etc. After all its a synth first and everything else second..

Looking at the motu Ultralite MK3

• Can one route the Virus into an audio interface and via USB simultaneously?

Yes, but please note that there is a slight delay between the USB outs and the audio outs. If you use VC, the DAW will most likely compensate for the delay and the audio outs will play too early, and without VC (using the MIDI synth output) the USB will play a little late.

I've been trying to use the TI Snow as my sound card but haven't had much luck. Lots of sync issues, errors, latency, full-out crashes, etc. After all its a synth first and everything else second..

That is probably caused by the USB environment of your computer. Try to asses it using the steps described in the installation guide, so you can maximize your bandwidth. For the meantime, if you're using VC/VSTi, try to use the "2 out" option, to ease up the load.

• Yes, but please note that there is a slight delay between the USB outs and the audio outs. If you use VC, the DAW will most likely compensate for the delay and the audio outs will play too early, and without VC (using the MIDI synth output) the USB will play a little late.

That is probably caused by the USB environment of your computer. Try to asses it using the steps described in the installation guide, so you can maximize your bandwidth. For the meantime, if you're using VC/VSTi, try to use the "2 out" option, to ease up the load.

What is your setup?

And if I had a card like, for instance, a MOTU Ultralite MK3 Hybrid, how would you go about setting everything up, considering I am using the Snow and pretty much need to use the plugin VST?

Please, if you are replying to this thread let me know what you are using in your specific setup and your performance, sound card wise.

• I use the Virus as VST. My computer is an old core-duo windows machine, which is probably why I didn't get the USB problems right off the bat. In recent board designs, manufacturers are trying to save money on USB, among other things. My sound card is again an old professional audio PCI card with a breakout cable, so there is no bottleneck there. I do sometimes, when my MIDI arrangements get really big and complicated, get bad MIDI timing, but when I switch the VC to "2 out" mode this issue is resolved.
    Regarding setting up, I would simply follow the installation guide which is very comprehensive. I would maybe advise to have a computer savvy friend beside you, or maybe do it for you because, you first need to understand the USB1.1 to USB2 translation problem, then map out the USB usage of your computer - there are internal and external devices and you need to know where they all go. Then you should decide on how to reconnect everything so that the virus gets as much bandwidth as possible, and that includes maybe even disabling some of the internal USB devices. Then you should proceed by verifying that you have all the latest CPU, motherboard and USB drivers, because buggy drivers prevent you from maximizing the bandwidth. Also turning off power saving for the USB bus (and maybe even other onboard devices) is important as the OS might decide to send the USB bus off to sleep at the most inconvenient times.
    So as you can see, just plugging the Virus in and going is not always enough. Some of the tasks I described above are automated in the installation, but you really need to know your computer and what you are doing with it.
    Oh, and connect the MOTU as firewire, I think you've got enough USB trouble already.