Mac mini usb issue with my virus TI

• Hi everybody.....about one weeks ago, after several years of making music with Win based computer, I decided to switch and change my life, enter the world of Mac. I bought my Mac mini 2 Ghz i7 ecc...Ok, all seems to be wonderful, finally no issues with blu screen and other bullshit....no more!!!!
    But my virus TI seems to disagree about Mac mini, I use cubase studio 5, and every time, since the installation of hardware and software, I open a project, a window alert show me that virus share the same usb root of another gear.
    My configuration is: Mac min lion server 10.7, cubase studio 5, virus ti with 4.1.1.05, and in the 4 usb port I've installed in no particular order Virus TI, elicenser key for cubase, a m-audio midi keyboard, and a usb hub with a cmc ch controller.
    However, if I connect only the virus on the usb, without other stuff connected the message appear the same, and show me a conflict with ir receiver (I think magic mouse and keyboard)..........
    Someone could help me....actually....I use it but with audio arctefact.....or no usb connection for the TI............thank you

• Hi Mark...
    Thanks for your answer, I tried all the 4 usb port on the rear of mac mini, but every time I start cubase studio 5 the warning window is shown...now I could try by changing OSX from lion to snow leopard, but I think that if the usb ports share the same root, it will happen with snow leo too. There somebody who have a Mac mini with a virus TI???????

• Zitat

I think you can disable the IR Receiver from sysprefs>security And here's how you disable iSight: http://techslaves.org/isight-disabler/

from: http://virus.info/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3304

Use it on the port shared with the IR receiver, when it is disabled, so that you can ignore the warning. Another possibility is using an external hub, but it adds latency.

• from: http://virus.info/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3304

Use it on the port shared with the IR receiver, when it is disabled, so that you can ignore the warning. Another possibility is using an external hub, but it adds latency.

let me just add that the IR receiver does not eat up bandwidth when it's not enabled. so, instead of hacking your MacOS installation you might just switch it off. if you don't use it, it will still show up in system profiler but will not hurt in any way. by the way, as for hubs adding latency: that's true in theory, if i recall right the latency should be 1ms (ballpark) - but that shouldn't keep you from using one. in fact, 1ms more latency sounds better than connection problems to me.
    best, marc

• Hello all,

I have an i7 Mac Mini 4 core 16 bg Ram. I just picked up a great Ti desktop used a couple of days ago and got it all setup, then experienced this issue. I recommend getting a thunderbolt hub like the Thunderbolt Express Dock. That gives you additional USB possibilities through your thunderbolt bus. This way you have all of the USB ports in the back of the Mini for the Virus. When I ignored the error, which told me the virus was sharing a bus with "x" device and anything else connected in the same bus as the virus (except the Tr-8 ), in Ableton Live 9 with the Virus Control VST, the virus was just a garbly locked up deal. Now I have the virus and my TR-8 on the same bus on the back of the mini and everything else on the Thunderbolt Dock. The VST and Virus combo is now working as advertised. :thumbup:

I am going to test connecting another Powered USB hub daisy chained off of the Thunderbolt Dock and see if that lets me expand the USB further.

• Hello all,

I have an i7 Mac Mini 4 core 16 bg Ram. I just picked up a great Ti desktop used a couple of days ago and got it all setup, then experienced this issue. I recommend getting a thunderbolt hub like the Thunderbolt Express Dock. That gives you additional USB possibilities through your thunderbolt bus. This way you have all of the USB ports in the back of the Mini for the Virus. When I ignored the error, which told me the virus was sharing a bus with "x" device and anything else connected in the same bus as the virus (except the Tr-8 ), in Ableton Live 9 with the Virus Control VST, the virus was just a garbly locked up deal. Now I have the virus and my TR-8 on the same bus on the back of the mini and everything else on the Thunderbolt Dock. The VST and Virus combo is now working as advertised. :thumbup:

I am going to test connecting another Powered USB hub daisy chained off of the Thunderbolt Dock and see if that lets me expand the USB further.

I'm having USB nightmares and was considering a Thunderbolt Express Dock as well. However, in my case, I'm using two Thunderbolt drives that would need to stay on the Thunderbolt bus. I have a 2013 iMac (2.9GHz, i5, 24GB RAM). My TI2 is connected directly to the iMac on its own USB port (as specified in the Virus manual). However, internally, in the iMac, its sharing a USB bus with several other devices. No matter how I rearrange things, I cannot relegate the Virus to a bus all on its own. I'm wondering if the Thunderbolt Express Dock would solve my issues. But without being sure, I hate the idea of spending another $200 in order to take advantage of the advertised features of a synth that I've already paid over $2k for. My set up is not that extreme.

Does the dock create additional USB ports on the Thunderbolt bus? Or do the USB ports on the dock share the same USB buses on the USB tree? I'm trying to figure out if I add the Thunderbolt Express Dock, and attach my Thunderbolt drives and the Virus TI2 to the dock, will everything play nicely?

I suppose another option is to add the dock, and connect everything that is currently in conflict with the TI2 to the hub, theoretically leaving the TI2 to a USB bus of its own.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Hello all,

Oh wow. I am having the same issue. Glad I found this thread. I will snatch up a Thunderbolt hub ASAP

Cheers!