Forum Privacy Issue (FIXED)

• EDIT 2/21/12: PROBLEMS SOLVED! -- Access has fixed the security oversight. Email addresses are now invisible by default. Issues with the unwelcome email are attributed to a language barrier, and we have worked that out, too.

Previous Post (edited):

Users should be aware that upon registering for this forum, your email address by default is visible invisibleto other members.

Less than 24 hours after registering, I was sent unsolicited commercial email (a.k.a. Spam) from someone trying to sell commercial Virus sound banks. I'm a fan of Virus TI, and that's why I'm here. I've purchased commercial sounds from third parties and will likely do so in the future. But I don't want to have what was previously a 100% private email address spammed by someone, and I think the first responsibility is on Access to protect my information. In fact, on the site registration form it says in part "We keep all your information to ourselves" and that is not true, at least not currently.

I replied to the spammer, letting them know it was inappropriate and unwelcome but I was actually checking out their demos nonetheless. I asked them to immediately stop spamming new forum users. They responded in a hostile, insulting, and obscene manner. ..Not how I would treat a customer or potential customer, or even the general public, especially around a forum that might contain a large portion of my potential sales. Because I respect other users' privacy, even when they are rude spammers, I'm not going to identify this person's username or email address here publicly. A quick search indicates that most of their first dozen posts to the forum have been spamming their "business" so you can probably figure out who the offender is on your own.

It's up to the mods whether they want to allow such people to advertise for free here on the forums. The forum rules seem to be against it, officially, but frankly I don't think it's a big deal. But not my call. However, when someone is scraping user emails and sending spam, and engaging in rude behavior after being called out on it, I don't think they should have such privileges in this community.

Above all else, what I would like to see is that new users' email addresses are hidden by default, which they currently are n't (SOLVED!). I'm sure a quick change in the admin control panel can resolve this privacy issue.

As for the offensive spammer: stop emailing me. You have been warned both privately and now publicly.

Virus TI2 Desktop Whiteout Limited Edition

MacOS 14 • Ableton Live 11 • Logic Pro

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von phishroom ()

• Just wanted to reiterate something:

Had I found out about these sound sets without being spammed, I probably would have purchased something. I listened to most of the demos and there were several sounds that were intriguing.

If only they would change their tactics and attitude, they might sell more sounds.

• Users should be aware that upon registering for this forum, your email address by default is visible to other members.

thanks for letting us know and apologies, we hate spam as much as most of us do. spamming virus users is not in our attention, that's why we contact you all by email less frequently than others. we also do not sell or forward user email addresses to others for exactly the same reason. we'll investigate on how to close the hole (we're using a commercial board software, so it might be more difficult but of course it is possible). in the meantime, for those who received unsolicited mails about commercial sound sets, please don't hesitate to send us those into access support.

thanks, marc

• Marc -- Thanks for your quick response and action. I think that's a good call to just hide all info.

Users that wish to publicly share contact info could perhaps do so using the "Signature".

• here's an update for you. Ultimate X Sounds, why sent out the emails to you came back, apologized and makes 30 patches available to you for free!
    "Hello, the Ultimate X Sounds DEMO BANK brings you 31 professionally designed patches.
    This DEMO BANK is presenting several well known sounds from our early lib:

Adam Nickey Soundset Vol.1 / 72 patches
    Club X Sounds Vol.2 / 128 patches
    Club X Sounds Vol.3 / 128 patches
    Ultimate X BASS Vol.1 / 85 patches

I made also several new sounds exclusively for this Ultimate X Sounds DEMO BANK.The full banks are available on my official website. At the end I'd like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for your support !!
    ENJOY!
    Adam ( UXS )
    "

Download free Ultimate X patches
    best, marc

• Problems solved, all around. Marc fixed the security oversight. Adam and I have worked out our differences, which seemed to have gotten off to a bad start due to a miscommunication between languages.

I'm all for users being so into the Virus that they are making and sharing new sounds, regardless of whether it's free or commercial. I think both are benefits the community and should be encouraged. I'm glad to see that Adam has released this demo bank of sounds. That's a win-win situation.

Ultimately, I want to see Access and the Virus family thrive. Music is a force that should bring people together, not push them apart.

I'm looking forward to checking out the UXS demo bank!

• Phishroom I don't really understand why are you so offended . He don't try to poison you . Of course you have a Virus !!. Just imagine !!. I am a sound designer and I create a good soundset. After I'm selling my first soundset I become desperate thinking that my work will be shared all over the internet or that my work will be sold by that person without my knowledge !!. This situation is a very sad one AND THIS SCENARIO IS REALLY HAPPENING lots of times!!. For example my work is copyrighted but this will not stop the other person to sell my work WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE. Of course this is 100% unfair . When a sound designer is in a desperate situation he start to do strange things like collecting emails manually )))) ... Of course he is not a bad person . He just try to sell hes work more quickly to prevent a negative scenario !!. Why don't you think this way ?.

Normally is illegal to send commercial messages to a person you don't know or he's not giving you that permission. But in this very particular situation he knew that you have a Virus and that you like music . So if you have a Virus is logic that you need good sounds and that you are interested in music. Usually bad spamers are also malicious hackers and
    they do a lot of bad bad things. They try to steel emails by breaking different sites and after they take all emails using hacking programs, they send tricky messages to all those email adresses . They try to full people and they destroy other companies ...For example I get a lot of spamming about how to enlarge my penis by tacking some magical pills . Or how to become a millionaire by reading a book ... I hate those kind of messages !!! because they are malicious. But if an artist will send me a message about a good special soundset I will be very happy and honored !!. You must understand the difference between a malicious spam and a positive commercial anouncement sended to you personally by another user from this community .

So phishroom why so offended ?. He don't try to sell you heroin )). You have a virus right ?. And we are a community . We share the same passion . We have the same goal ...So in this situation I think that is normal if another Virus user is sending you his commercial work . I don't say that is a good thing to send a commercial email to other Virus user. But is not a bad thing either, because both users have a Virus and they make music. Damn !!. All I'm saying is that I don't understand why phishroom is so offended ?. :huh: Maybe he have other problems ?? . Hey phishroom . Please tell me what your problem is . Maybe I can help you with an advice . I'm also a very good psychiatrist. In my opinion I think that is impossible to become offended because another Virus user is sending you hes hard work . Maybe you have other problems and now you try to blame your problems because of an email 8| ?. Take care of your self .Don't be so sad. I wish you a good life and a great musical career.

• If I understand correctly the problem was that:

I replied to the spammer, letting them know it was inappropriate and unwelcome but I was actually checking out their demos nonetheless. I asked them to immediately stop spamming new forum users. They responded in a hostile, insulting, and obscene manner. ..

Which was later attributed to a language barrier.