Virus randomly drops notes

• Hi

i noticed one major and another maybe related problem...

when i program a melody or something in cubase my virus randomly skips a note or even a harmony.
    and not that often i got crackles in the exported sounds...

the only hint i got is the error message "odd buffer size..." which tells me to set the buffer size to something n*64.
    heres the problem i think... i got an emu0404 which only let me set the bit depth and sample time in 5ms steps...

can this cause the problem?
    do i need to change drivers/audio device?

my setup:
    win7 64
    ti2
    emu0404
    Cubase 5

• Do you have any other midi controllers plugged in? I had problems like this, and had to remap my midi keyboard's cc numbers. Just a thought.

Other things to check are asio buffer size - if its crackling that could be the problem. Try increasing the buffer size and see if it helps. I think you can set cubase to halt when the buffer overloads on export too.

Also, how many voices and how many parts is the virus playing? If its a lot, it may be running out of polyphony. Try exporting less parts at a time and see if that solves it.

• hi

sorry for the late reply but i was a bit busy and i reinstalled my complete system.

I just made a sample export for you, maybe this can make it easier to discribe the problem ;)

http://www59.zippyshare.com/v/48750520/file.html

the sample plays 5 times the same sequence.
    already the first block misses the 4th notes and it seems as the virus plays the missing ones in the next block.
    the 4th block is missing the same notes again.

what i tried already:
    asio settings
    asio4all

no change

what seemed to help is decreasing unison to 2.

but i think this is a very bad solution because it would tell me that my 1600€ gadget is not able to play with all its possibilities enabled...
    as you can hear i already moved the delay and reverb and so on to external vsts.

please tell me that this is not a lack of power of the ti ;)

• Again what I mentioned before: this sounds like you're running out of voices, which has nothing to do with buffer size or audio driver settings.
    Is the sound you're using making use of the UNISON function and if so, what is it set to there? And how many notes are triggered at the same time?

An audio example will not help very much here. Without sitting in front of the sequence and checking the sounds used and what features they are using it will be hard to analyze the actual issue here.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• I have the same problem as Katzinium. What a terrible function of the Virus. Why does the virus have to drop out voices if the dsp runs out? X( There has to be a better way. That is a serious flaw of the virus. I've used patches from the bank that come maxed out!! I would rather hear pops and clicks and noise than have it take away notes that I have played. At least I would notice the pops and clicks, but I didn't readily notice,nor did I expect, that it was taking out programmed notes. :thumbdown:

• You would benefit from paying attention to the complexity meter (the "battery power" like indicator at the top left of the LCD screen). If you are using a 5-bar complex sound you should know that your polyphony will be drastically reduced. If it is important for you to play as many 5-bar sounds as possible live (meaning, you don't bounce track by track and mix), you sould get yourself more Viruses...

• that complexety meter is nice, i didnt notice before :)

ok here i am again, the midi is playing 4 notes on only 1 virus synth. complexety meter is at 2.all three oscillators in use. 2 classic and one saw sub osci in use.noise in use. filter 1 and 2 low pass. some lfo, analog boost and chorus. thats all...
    and as stated above: unison on 4.

reducing unsion to 2 helps, as already stated, but i thing this is an lack of power because the virus isnt doing that much...

so will this be the conclusion?
    my sound is too complex for the virus?

pretty disappointing, although its a really lovely device.

the ti3 should get way more cpu power...

• If the TI plays the sound fine at UNISON = 2, then yes, this is an indication that the unit is simply running out of power.
    What often is not calculated in: the TI calculates all voices to the very end of the release phase, so if you have sounds that also fade out slowly and you play chords with the UNISON function being used, the amount of voices triggered adds up very quickly.
    Just a quick example: if you use a sound at UNISON = 4 and you play a 3-notes chord, you're already triggering 12 voices in one go. Let's say you play a 2nd chord when the first one still rings out, then the Virus already calculates 24 voices and so forth.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Ok, so why is there a claim of 1800+ voices on the site? I don't think the Virus can get anywhere near that.

• I dont think there is a claim of that many - for the TI the claim was ~80. So if you use both OSCs thats 40 notes, unison of 2 brings you down to 20. Using effects and analogue filters erodes voice processing power further - it all adds up.

There are many ways to trim off the demand of a sound without radically affecting how it sounds, such as trimming a bit off the release or decay time on the reverb, turning off analog boost and so forth.

• I read it on the specifications here: http://virus.info/page/render/…nical_specifications.html

Under hypersaw oscillators it says "the Virus TI series can calculate over 1800 oscillators in realtime."

I just don't see how it can get close to that? I tried a hypersaw patch with unison set to max, and all 3 oscillators with the sub turned up. It dropped notes like crazy. I see under a different section it says 20-90 voices, this would be more realistic.

• happy easter mates!

im aware of the thing with long release hitting the next notes etc. what i didnt know was that the virus calculates at release. but it sounds a bit strange...

whatsoever, i thought of a simple try... i can export my patch and you could try it, if it drops at your system too the result would be a too complex patch.

if you are interested i could export it when i am back home, just to try out...

btw. i am working as an engineer in a music company, so i can easily understand the need of processing power by musical equipment...
    so this is no charging of access, its just a kind of disappointment because i dreamed of a virus for years now and finally having it... you know?
    but i am still impressed by the (remaining) sound capabilities and you, the community :)