Virus without the VC: patches don't change in between projects

• Hi to all,

I am using Virus without the VC plugin, MIDI through the USB, Audio through the analog outputs.
    My Virus is in Sequencer mode and I was wondering if there is a way for the Virus to remember the patches in every project, so when I open up a new project the different patches in the 16 different part are set automatically.
    It should be sth basic but I recently uninstall another MIDI device in set up and since then it seems Logic Pro does not send this MIDI information to the Virus.
    Anyone, knows how to make this work, please?

Thanks

• Marc,

thanks for the reply.
    Isn't something like this done automatically when in Sequencer mode?
    I remember that the patches used to change themselves every time I was switching from one project to another.
    Somehow it seems that this information is not transmitted anymore.

Also, after switching off and back on my Virus it keeps in Sequencer mode. Before, I recall setting itself back to single mode and then I had to put it in Sequencer mode manually.

I think I have somehow blocked this part of the MIDI communication between Logic and Virus.

I have never worked with program changes before in Logic, so I don't really know how to work with it, but I guess there could be another way around it, no? I recall this was working before I removed another MIDI keyboard I was using along with the Virus in my setup.

• Ok, I think I have some more information of this.
    In my Logic projects, when I was creating a new external midi track I had two options where to assign them. One was Virus TI MIDI and the other was Virus TI Synth. I could only have sound coming out when choosing Virus TI Synth, but it seemed that Virus TI MIDI was also doing some kind of communication between Logic and Virus.
    Now only the Virus TI Synth is present.
    Could that be the problem? If yes then how could I get back the Virus TI MIDI assignment as well?

• Ok, I think I figured this about the ports out. But what about having the patches changed for each project? I only need Virus to remember the each project without the plug in. There should be a way to do this easily.

Marc, you mentioned program changes. I haven't dealt with this before. Is there a guide through this? How to set 16 channels of virus in Logic without the plug in? I cannot find relevant information in the manuals.
    Is this the only way to do it? I remember that before removing another MIDI keyboard from my setup this was not an issue. And I was not using the VC plugin.

• I think you'll find this helpful: http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=265010 just ignore all the NI specifics, and the most relevant paragraph is this:

Zitat

Move the playhead to where you want the change. If there is no region there, create one with the pencil tool. With that region selected, open the event list. Click the Create button, then click Program Change. The program change is now entered at the playhead location. Drag the number in the "Val" column to select which snapshot you want to load at that location.
    Note that Logic uses the proper 0-127 format for program numbers

• flabberbob,

you are valuable help. I get it now.
    Only one thing I still miss. I understood that I can choose from between value 0-127, that correspond to the patches in a bank of the Virus. But how exactly do I choose the bank? If I choose a val of 0-127, let's say 68, this loads the 68th patch, but of which bank?

cheers and many thanks

• thanks for the tips, they seemed to do the trick, but currently I am facing two other problems.
    I managed to make the Virus play the correct patches by sending program changes in the beginning of each track in Logic.
    Now, when I loop the program change is sent every time the loop starts over. So when I tweak a patch in the beginning of every loop it will cancel my modifications and re-initialize itself.
    This is quite annoying as I am very used to record some notes and then tweak the sound while the notes are playing in loops.
    Any idea how I could overcome this problem?

Moreover, every time I open up a saved Logic project, the levels of the Virus are not the correct ones. I have to touch each one of the midi channel faders in Logic in order to set the level to the value that the fader actually indicates. Somehow this information is not transmitted to the Virus by opening a project. Any idea on that as well?

I'd appreciate your help

thanks

• Regarding the first issue, why not start the loop and the music a bar later. Put the patch/bank change on 0:0:0, so it doesn't interfere. Also whatever you tweak, you need to store over the existing patch (or to a new patch, and change your patch/bank message accordingly).
    Regarding the MIDI volume issue, I think a short start-stop after you load the project should do the trick.
    Good luck.

• flaggerbob, thanks for the input

My loop starts at bar 43.1.1.1 The program changes were placed at 1.1.1.1. So I guess there shouldn't be any interference.
    I also moved them to 0.1.1.1. No luck either. The program change is sent every time the loop starts over.

The levels still don't respond when I tried to start and stop again. I have to press on the faders in Logic to make them transmit the information.

Could it be that I haven't set something right in terms of MIDI connection between the Virus and Logic?
    I am only using the Virus TI Synth and not the Virus TI MIDI.

• dimgrim, I'm assuming that when you say "loop starts" you mean that at some later marker (e.g. just before bar #47) the track jumps back to bar #43.

My guess is that you have recorded MIDI CC-s into the track, and when the track jumps back, it's not the patch that's being reloaded but the old CC data that replays some old tweaks of yours. BTW, the MIDI CC for channel volume is #7, if you are looking for an alternative to Logic's controls.

• flabberbob,

you are valuable help. yes, the program changes are in bar 1.1.1.1 to 2.1.1.1 and the loop plays from 43.1.1.1 to 68.1.1.1.
    I will try creating a new project and see if this behaviour persists.

thanks