When will Access separate the Ti2 from the Ti1

• Hi, dose anybody no when Access will separate the Ti2 from the Ti1? Because trying to resell a used Ti2 at a resonable price sucks, people think why buy the Ti2 when the Ti1 can do the same thing just 25% more dsp. Ive just replaced my Ti2 polar which i brought new with one of the last dark stars which i brought new, and trying to resell the white one at a desent price is a nightmare i think separating the 2 with OS5 would boost there sales . they have supported the Ti1 for 7 years now adding new extras with updates why cant they separate the 2, like add the new extras only to the Ti2 but still support the Ti1 so it still runs smooth with computer OS and daw updates. If there ever is a Ti3 next time ill wait till it parts from the 2.. ?( Thanks John..

• I don't think there is any great reason for Access to do so, if only because, if I recall correctly, they've already said they won't do so, and thus doing so would probably anger many TI owners.
    Beyond that, it makes little sense from their point of view - as you've said, there is very little difference between the TI and the TI2. From the perspective of software development, it's more convenient and cost effective to work on one piece of code, e.g. an OS for the TI and the TI2, than to work on two, particularly when they are basically the same device.
    Would your suggestion really boost their sales? I believe a lot of Access's success has been because people know they are a reliable company that supports their products - that kind of reputation is hard to earn, and I don't think Access would benefit in the long run from the damage abandoning the TI would likely do them.
    Also, when the TI3 comes out (assuming it does, as it hasn't even been announced that I'm aware of), we can probably continue to expect updates to the TI2, Access supports their synths. I'm sure you could find many other companies out there that do not, and their forums are probably filled with tears. If you prefer your synths to be forgotten by their makers, though, perhaps that is the place for you. Alternatively, you may want to consider your purchases more carefully in the future so you avoid the situation you are currently in. It is nice that you are suggesting Access should screw over all the TI owners because it would benefit you; I own a TI2, but I still think that's a bit sad to see.

• Nowadays, you can sell the Virus TI2 for about $2,200.00 USD + shipping. At most $2,400.00 with shipping included...

• John, do I get this right? You want Access to stop supporting the TI1 because you want to sell your TI2 for a higher price? You attitude matches the business practice that people hate NI for, for example. Access' customers are happy, because there is long term support you can rely on. Features being added.
    I think twice before buying or using a plugin. You never know when it might be discontinued and as soon as a new OS or CPU generation (in case of Macs) comes out, you're left with a corpse on your hard drive. (Anyone counted the plugins that Steinberg released and killed over the years?) This is not any better than having old analogue synths or other gear that will break sooner or later and if you can't repair it – bad luck. I thought the digital revolution would make us a bit more future-proof than that. Good companies take care of this.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2009), 12 GB, OS X 10.6, Cubase 5.5.2, Virus TI, NI Komplete 6, Korg Legacy Collection, Arturia 10 Years Suite

• John, do I get this right? You want Access to stop supporting the TI1 because you want to sell your TI2 for a higher price? You attitude matches the business practice that people hate NI for, for example. Access' customers are happy, because there is long term support you can rely on. Features being added.
    I think twice before buying or using a plugin. You never know when it might be discontinued and as soon as a new OS or CPU generation (in case of Macs) comes out, you're left with a corpse on your hard drive. (Anyone counted the plugins that Steinberg released and killed over the years?) This is not any better than having old analogue synths or other gear that will break sooner or later and if you can't repair it – bad luck. I thought the digital revolution would make us a bit more future-proof than that. Good companies take care of this.

No you got it wrong, basicly what i said was still support the TI1 but bring out some updates for the TI2 only. To separate the two. I would never say stop supporting the TI1..

• I don't think there is any great reason for Access to do so, if only because, if I recall correctly, they've already said they won't do so, and thus doing so would probably anger many TI owners.
    Beyond that, it makes little sense from their point of view - as you've said, there is very little difference between the TI and the TI2. From the perspective of software development, it's more convenient and cost effective to work on one piece of code, e.g. an OS for the TI and the TI2, than to work on two, particularly when they are basically the same device.
    Would your suggestion really boost their sales? I believe a lot of Access's success has been because people know they are a reliable company that supports their products - that kind of reputation is hard to earn, and I don't think Access would benefit in the long run from the damage abandoning the TI would likely do them.
    Also, when the TI3 comes out (assuming it does, as it hasn't even been announced that I'm aware of), we can probably continue to expect updates to the TI2, Access supports their synths. I'm sure you could find many other companies out there that do not, and their forums are probably filled with tears. If you prefer your synths to be forgotten by their makers, though, perhaps that is the place for you. Alternatively, you may want to consider your purchases more carefully in the future so you avoid the situation you are currently in. It is nice that you are suggesting Access should screw over all the TI owners because it would benefit you; I own a TI2, but I still think that's a bit sad to see.

No i was not suggesting screw over all Ti1 owners i was suggesting separating the two. I was always under the impression and im sure i was not the only one that aventully the Ti2 would have more than just 25% more dsp over the Ti1given Accesses history e.g. A vs B, B vs C, C vs Ti, Ti vs samething. If you check the spec's of those older models you will see that each time they brought out a new model it had a lot more to be desired then just 25% dsp. You also said at the start of your message that you dont think there is any great reason for Access to do so. Well think how many Ti owners have thought no point upgrading to the 2 its the same as the 1 or people thinking of buying a virus that have googled Ti1 vs Ti2 only to realise there the same and thought f**k paying that for a new one i can get a Ti1 off ebay for £800 and the Ti2 wont have nothing over me. You also said it wouldn't be very cost effective for Access to work on a OS for the Ti1 and a OS for the Ti2, how cost effective would it of been for Access if we all stayed on the Ti1 after all they are the same. I say there the same coz 25% more dsp is not worth mentioning to me, when i brought my Ti2 i still had my Ti1 for about 4 months after and i did put that extra dsp to the test, but i didn't notice any difference neither or them could run more then 4 parts at once.. And you say a reliable company that supports all there products, The virus A hasn't seen a update in 2 and a half years The virus B hasn't seen a update in 4 years and the C more then 2 years. I'm not knocking Access im just replying back to what you wrote, I think Access is a Brilliant company and very loyal and ive supported them from the B, you say i can find many companys that dont support there synth's, yeah course my NL3 hasn't seen an update in years neuther has my moog voyager, nor my prophet or any of my other synth's but thats probably because all the bugs have been ironed out. Sorry for offending any Ti1 owners, i dont think its right you could go out buy a new Ti2 own it 2 months and be lucky if its worth a £100 more then a Ti1 that could be 6/7 years old...

• No you got it wrong, basicly what i said was still support the TI1 but bring out some updates for the TI2 only. To separate the two. I would never say stop supporting the TI1..

But separating the two models would be a totally arbitrary act because, as you said, there is no further difference than dsp power. The users would get it and be upset. And then they would hear lame excuses like you hear from NI or apple. And would this generate further sales? I don't think so.
    I was never under the impression that the TI2 had more to offer than more dsp power. Certainly not after i did some research or saw a promotional Video, which is something anyone should do before purchase. And if the TI2 had to offer much more it would Not generate sales automatically. There are other factors than features to influence a buying decision. For instance the amount of Money available to you.
    It seems you buy a synth not only for what it does or how good support is but also for how much you can sell it. It's nothing to condemn as long as this attitude doesn't rule the whole market and there are companies who think differently.

Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2009), 12 GB, OS X 10.6, Cubase 5.5.2, Virus TI, NI Komplete 6, Korg Legacy Collection, Arturia 10 Years Suite

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MaF ()

• "No i was not suggesting screw over all Ti1 owners i was suggesting separating the two."
    And that doesn't screw over the TI1 owners, how, exactly? Oh, I know, it benefits them because all those extra features would really just be a burden. In fact, you're trying to do them a favor!
    Hey, I know, how about they give the TI1 *some* of the new features, and the TI2 some of the others, then we'll all be happy, just so long as we can pretend our mass produced synths are collector's items!

"I was always under the impression and im sure i was not the only one that aventully the Ti2 would have more than just 25% more dsp over the Ti1"
    Well, you and any others were under the wrong impression, and Access said they were going to keep the TI at par with the TI2, so if you did research before buying a $2000+ synth, you'd have known better.

"given Accesses history e.g. A vs B, B vs C, C vs Ti, Ti vs samething.
    If you check the spec's of those older models you will see that each time they brought out a new model it had a lot more to be desired then just 25% dsp. "
    I can't argue with that - I think the primary reason for the TI2 update was probably to resolve some glitchiness with the TI1, but I don't know that for a fact.
    Even so, all the research you're doing now trying to argue your invalid point? If you had done it before, you wouldn't be making the ridiculous argument you currently are.
    The information was definitely out there, Access didn't lie to people about what they were getting.

"You also said at the start of your message that you dont think there is any great reason for Access to do so.
    Well think how many Ti owners have thought no point upgrading to the 2 its the same as the 1 or people thinking of buying a virus that have googled Ti1 vs Ti2 only to realise there the same and thought f**k paying that for a new one i can get a Ti1 off ebay for £800 and the Ti2 wont have nothing over me."
    Anytime Access wants to release a new synth that *truly* has superior capabilities, and give it functionality the previous synths simply cannot handle, is fine by me. Intentionally hobbling a synth just to make a quick buck, though, is not going to make their customers happy. Well, not the sensible ones, anyway.

"You also said it wouldn't be very cost effective for Access to work on a OS for the Ti1 and a OS for the Ti2, how cost effective would it of been for Access if we all stayed on the Ti1 after all they are the same. "
    It may very well have been better for Access to stick with the TI1. Again, I think they released the TI2 as a revision to the TI, to smooth out some issues the original had. I don't know that for a fact though.
    At any rate, I'm sure they had a reason to do so, or they wouldn't have done it - maybe marc or somebody will fill us in on that, I am curious what the reasoning was. I don't expect to get an answer to that though.

"I say there the same coz 25% more dsp is not worth mentioning to me, when i brought my Ti2 i still had my Ti1 for about 4 months after and i did put that extra dsp to the test, but i didn't notice any difference neither or them could run more then 4 parts at once.."
    Well, if they're the same, then there's no good reason to treat them differently. I see no reason for them to be "separate but equal"!

"And you say a reliable company that supports all there products, The virus A hasn't seen a update in 2 and a half years The virus B hasn't seen a update in 4 years and the C more then 2 years."
    The Virus A is 15 years old, the B is probably 13 years old, the C maybe 11? You're really going to bring up those synths in your argument? I think you're stretching there.
    You probably couldn't find another synth that received support like the Virus A for 12.5 years if you tried - if you did, that'd be a very good company behind it.

" I'm not knocking Access im just replying back to what you wrote, I think Access is a Brilliant company and very loyal and ive supported them from the B,
    you say i can find many companys that dont support there synth's, yeah course my NL3 hasn't seen an update in years neuther has my moog voyager, nor my prophet or any of my other synth's but thats probably because all the bugs have been ironed out.
    Sorry for offending any Ti1 owners, i dont think its right you could go out buy a new Ti2 own it 2 months and be lucky if its worth a £100 more then a Ti1 that could be 6/7 years old..."
    I didn't read this as you saying anything against Access, though you are obviously upset - and I understand why you are, and I don't blame you for feeling that way, it's a shitty situation. I don't agree with your "solution" to your problem though, since it would involve Access going against one of the things that makes them a great company. I'd be more inclined to agree with your argument if this were Native Instruments we were talking about, since they have a history of screwing their customers over. It's kind of what they're known for, actually... and I know people that haven't bought their stuff because that behavior concerns them.

Ultimately, it's your responsibility to research what you're buying before you buy it. What you are requesting is just selfish and absurd.
    I wish you luck in finding a good price for your TI2, but please see that things are the way they are between the TI and TI2 because it doesn't make any sense for them to be different, and accept that fact.

• i don't think it would be in the interest of the vast majority of the Virus TI user base to release separate OS versions for the Virus TI 1 and TI 2 series. in fact, we are damn proud that we can offer free support and feature updates for a product which first became available seven years ago. but it would be hard to justify new features (and development costs towards it) for a discontinued product like the TI1 if we wouldn't develop for the TI2 at the same time. we are 100% privately held, we have no investors. if we would, those things might be different.

best, marc

• i don't think it would be in the interest of the vast majority of the Virus TI user base to release separate OS versions for the Virus TI 1 and TI 2 series. in fact, we are damn proud that we can offer free support and feature updates for a product which first became available seven years ago. but it would be hard to justify new features (and development costs towards it) for a discontinued product like the TI1 if we wouldn't develop for the TI2 at the same time. we are 100% privately held, we have no investors. if we would, those things might be different.

best, marc

Hi marc i no what your saying, it was a stupid thread to start but if im honest it was a rant more then anything, because the rediculous offers i been getting for the white one.

• This is bonkers. As a TI owner who bought one pretty early doors I'd be a bit upset to be told...

'Oh...sorry you can't have feature X. Your hardware can do it, but it's just that John needs to sell his old TI2 Polar since he decided he'd prefer to have exactly the same hardware in black.'

I paid just as handsomely years ago for what is the same architecture and I expect the same support. The TI2 is not a new synth just a hardware upgrade to the same platform. If the second hand market has decided that paying extra for a bit more DSP and extra veneer wood-chip sides isn't worth it so be it. Can't say I disagree with them.

• If the second hand market has decided that paying extra for a bit more DSP and extra veneer wood-chip sides isn't worth it so be it. Can't say I disagree with them.

Veneer wood-chip? I thought my TI1 cheeks were solid, rain-forest depleting mahogany! Nothing ain't what it seems no more :(

• Yeah it's true. Just cracked mine open for my second self repair in as many months...totally broken, but it does mean I can confirm that the wood under the keyboard on the TI1 is not all it seems to be with it fresh in my memory. To be honest I would rather it wasn't there at all really. Wood is for sandal wearing, pipe smoking moog botherers. Y'know real 'analogue' casing...warms the oscillators even more!

But don't take my word for it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfKrZBKE5rA&feature=player_detailpage#t=173s

There are some other pretty naff and cheap design decisions in there like the power brick just bracketed in there. That's what blew in mine the first time I had to open it after being plugged in for god knows how many years. How much would it have cost to fit an off switch? Battery on the main board explains why it demands power all the time, but god knows what that is keeping warm when the power is disconnected as I thought all the memory was supposed to be flash. There are more horrors I don't expect of a boutique synth with this kind of price tag but I won't go into it. Anyway I still love the synthesis engine and will forgive it's failings once it has been repaired even if it has broken my heart. Though in all honesty I'd be just as happy with that engine in a plugin now.

I'm going to stop hijacking this thread and go get the ball rolling with getting it serviced....then cry deeply...before meeting my deadlines with Reaktor and Massive, let's just hope I don't get too comfortable with them eh Access?

• This was a dumb thread.... If access did it like the OP stated then they couldn't hold themselves at a higher standards. People who purchased their virus TI six years ago should be offered same as people with TI2. I assume the TI2 was just a rejuvination. Still at the end of the day, this thread was created in fraustration that he couldn't sell his board. I think its wiser to make better decisions than to penalize hundreds of thousands. Yeah you say seperate the 2, but come on let's be real. You want it in a way where the virus 2 is more favorable so you can sell your gear. Lol, I can't believe you didn't pause yourself midway from writing this thread. These are selfish things people think of, but then we filter lolol