S/PDIF vs analog outs

• Hi everybody,

I would like to record the outputs of my virus and was wondering what are the benefits of S/PDIF vs the analog outs, or vice versa.
    I am using Virus w/o the Virus Control plugin, MIDI through USB and audio through the analog outs at the moment connected straight to the input of a macbook (no external sound card used). Would connecting S/PDIF give me a better audio quality?

Thanks

• As far as I understand, for S/PDIF connection it is important that the two devices (Virus and souncard) are synchronized. Otherwise you'll likely get unpleasant artifacts. At least, I did when I tried it.
    So I tried to synchronize the Virus to the souncard (MOTU Ultralite mk3), but it didn't like that, saying something to the effect "Bad clock at SPDIF input".
    So I tried the reverse, Virus the master and MOTU the slave - the sound was OK, but then the MOTU wouldn't work at all unless Virus is on.
    So I decided it's not worth the hassle and gave up, using USB or analog ever since.

Just my experience, yours may be different :)

• sure mate,

thanks for the input!
    Out of what I have read I think I am sticking with the analog outs as well for the moment.
    I was wondering if the sound quality is the same, better/worst.

• If you can stretch to it, I would invest in a decent Firewire audio interface. It should give you far better results than the audio-in jack on the MacBook Pro. If you get an 8-input one then you can use all the analog outs from the Virus too. :)

You would need some kind of interface to use the S/PDIF output anyway.

• ok, makes sense.

I mistakenly thought that I could directly connect the S/PDIF of the Virus on a MBP input, but I guess it is not reasonable once the input is analog and the S/PDIF transmits digital.

How about a Duet, Fuseball? They praise its audio quality, but they seem overpriced for only two inputs.

• If you want a good but small and inexpensive interface pick up a TC Impact Twin. If you use analog outs set the virus to clock at 48khz internally for better sound.

• The Duet looks nice but I would worry that I was paying for stylish looks over functionality. For around the same money you could get a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Presonus Firestudio or Motu 8Pre... all of which have 8 inputs.

I have a Motu 8pre, but the Saffire Pro 40 looks particularly good - 8 inputs, 10 outputs and even S/PDIF. If you need a more portable solution then maybe an Edirol FA-101, although I don't think the A/D convertors and pre-amps are quite as good as the others. I've gigged with a MacBook Pro and FA-101 without any problems though. The TC Impact Twin (as recommended by nms) also looks like a very good package. Only 4 inputs and outputs but excellent quality and also has S/PDIF support. Much more portable than a full-rack width unit so may be a better choice for use with the MacBook.

• guys, thank you for the inputs!

I would like to add sth more here. I was informed that it is actually possible to connect the S/PDIF of the Virus into a Macbook Pro input.
    The MBP input can take both analog or digital signal. In the second case it bypasses the internal A/D converters of the MBP's internal sound card.

I hear that the S/PDIF output of the Virus TI can give the best result. And it makes some sense. It produces digital signal anyway and by sending it through S/PDIF and not the analog outs, I just bypass the D/A converters of the Virus.

So all in all, it sounds good to try it out, if this way I can save up such a cost for a Duet for example. And the result would be sonically better as well. Because this way I avoid two convertions, one in the Virus and one in the Macbook Pro.

Please correct me if I am wrong and enlighten me.

• Ah. Looks like the 15 and 17 inch Macbook pros have the S/PDIF input via a Toslink mini-plug adapter.

Macbook Pro ports

Toslink adapter

I only have a 13 inch MB Pro, which doesn't have the extra input socket. Apologies for getting a bit confused there. Let us know how well it works. I'm pretty sure I have an S/PDIF input on my iMac that I've never used! :)

• Just an update in this to whoever is interested.
    The S/PDIF alternative seems to work fine with my logic projects. I didn't experience any issues with it like artifacts etc.
    I don't know if the sound quality is better but it seems robust.

• I recently started recording thought the spidf connection from my darkstar into my Apollo - I have to say its much better. There is no conversion so you don't have any degradation of the signal. I feel the signal is even a little cleaner. Just my 2 cents. If you have the capability to go spidf then you should def try it out :thumbup:

• I use SPDIF for audio, straight into my firewire Focusrite Saffire and the USB for MIDI data. Works like a charm. :)

• I recently started recording thought the spidf connection from my darkstar into my Apollo - I have to say its much better. There is no conversion so you don't have any degradation of the signal. I feel the signal is even a little cleaner. Just my 2 cents. If you have the capability to go spidf then you should def try it out :thumbup:

Just to clarify - this will be the same signal as sent over usb if using VC.

• Just to clarify - this will be the same signal as sent over usb if using VC.

To my knowledge using SPDIF rather than USB for audio takes some of the strain away from the USB. Sounds seem to have more clarity and much cleaner via SPDIF. Works great on my setup. you can still use VC when using USB and SPDIF together as well.

• I realize that USB vs Spidf is pretty much the same signal, in my case I use spidf which goes into my UA Apollo which I track with some plugins and record straight into Logic with no latency 8)

Chain is usually a Studer Tape machine > neve 1073 > Fatso - Virus sounds INCREDIBLE :!::!:8o

• To my knowledge using SPDIF rather than USB for audio takes some of the strain away from the USB. Sounds seem to have more clarity and much cleaner via SPDIF. Works great on my setup. you can still use VC when using USB and SPDIF together as well.

it is quite literally the exact same sound. Marc of Jorg can confirm this. Try recording some takes through each and compare. Your ears can hear funny things when you expect them to!