S/PDIF vs analog outs

• Yes, even if it does sound the same, from what ive read it does take some strain of the USB when using SPDIF for audio and USB for midi. Seems to work better for me...

• It's not?

Well I have been informed otherwise. Maybe you can clear the post up that I created about audio clocks then?

Chris

• Of course, audio through USB and S/PDIF should sound the same. They are the exact same signal sent over a different protocol. So you should end up with exactly the same thing.
    However, in the case of virus, USB integration is problematic with modern macs and pcs.
    Therefore, S/PDIF gives you what USB should give you and it doesn't.

• Of course, audio through USB and S/PDIF should sound the same. They are the exact same signal sent over a different protocol. So you should end up with exactly the same thing.
    However, in the case of virus, USB integration is problematic with modern macs and pcs.
    Therefore, S/PDIF gives you what USB should give you and it doesn't.

Well this is not exactly true :( S/PDIF will only have a copy or L&R Output 1, but with USB (and also analog outputs), you have up to 3 outputs to choose.

• It's not?
    Well I have been informed otherwise. Maybe you can clear the post up that I created about audio clocks then?
    Chris

chris, don't get me wrong but if i would clear up every post which contains wrong information i would have to clone myself at least once. USB, the way it's being used, reserves bandwidth no matter what's being send. even if you don't use an audio channel, still "zeros" are being transmitted. that's the way it works and that's why there is no difference.
    hth, marc

• One small extra question to this topic:

S/PDIF seems to work nice for me. However, I get some clicks now and then, not frequent at all, but they do occur, maybe once or twice in a 3-4 minute long track. Also when I bounce I still have one-two clicks in my exports. I did not have those using the analog outs.
    Any idea what could be wrong and how I could fix this?

• SPDIF (Sony Philips Digital Interface) is just a digital version of the analogue outs on the virus... using an Analogue (signal) to Digital chip... in its simplest form!... having said that... Virus IS a virtual analogue synth and is digital in every respect but modelled on analogue technology using digital models of the analogue circuitry of old synths... this is converted to an analogue line level output, and the signal is passed to the SPDIF output simultaniously. Whatever output you choose is determined by the Virus output settings.

Thats how i see it?? :S

No snobbery, simply logic!

S/PDIF seems to work nice for me. However, I get some clicks now and then, not frequent at all, but they do occur, maybe once or twice in a 3-4 minute long track. Also when I bounce I still have one-two clicks in my exports. I did not have those using the analog outs.

Do you have your interface's clock source set to S/PDIF? If not that could be the issue.

Also, on the topic of the audio being identical up to the point it either gets passed through as digital or converted to analog..... if memory serves, the well documented issue of unintentional slight pitch oscillation doesn't occur when using analog outs. Personally I just restart my DAW and Virus before recording to help get smooth operation from it and stick to USB outs

SAME FOR ME!

Ive been in contact with Support about it. NO resolution yet.

Also, I had the Clock set to SPDIF, this was when I was getting the clicks.

• Do you have your interface's clock source set to S/PDIF? If not that could be the issue.

Also, on the topic of the audio being identical up to the point it either gets passed through as digital or converted to analog..... if memory serves, the well documented issue of unintentional slight pitch oscillation doesn't occur when using analog outs. Personally I just restart my DAW and Virus before recording to help get smooth operation from it and stick to USB outs

By "yout interface's clock" you mean my soundcard if I get you right, correct?
    I am sure I have the Virus set to S/PDIF, but I am not sure about my soundcard. I am using the Macbook's internal soundcard and I cannot seem to fing the setting to change this. Any idea how I could do that? thanks

• please, if anyone can help:

I am trying to bounce from Logic my Virus TI sounds. I have my set up connected to a Macbook Pro using the S/PDIF outputs the Virus like I have described above.

My bounces are slightly off synchronisation with each other. I don't know what is wrong but are. When I use the VC and audio through USB they are totally in sync. Can anyone please help me to resolve the problem? I need to use S/PDIF to export my tracks.