External input ... how?

• Hi

I'm trying to route external audio into the virus TI, through filters maybe, then into Ableton.

I am stuck at actually getting any audio into the TI and hearing it. I have plugged a device (a stylophone, in fact!) into the audio input L/R but I don't hear any sound out of the virus. I have tried the various input thru settings in the Config menu.

This is before even turning Ableton on (and yes I have the virus set up fine with Ableton, have had for some time, but this is the first time I am trying external audio!) - surely I should be able to hear something through the headphones, other than the virus's internal sounds (which I can hear fine).

Any clues please, anyone?

• What is the "input 2/2 - source" set to in the TIs CONFIG menu? Is this set to "analog"? Also is the "characteristic" set to "linear" as well? And have you played around with different sensitivity settings on the " inputs 1/2" page?

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• Hi Jörg,

Thanks! Well, I copied your settings and it is now working (I can hear the audio input) although I'm sure those were the settings already! (maybe it was the old turn-off-and-on-again that did the trick...)

OK so I now have audio coming in, and I can hear it even when the TI is running through Ableton. I can also use the various atomizer presets with variously cool results. However - I can always hear the original audio, and I don't understand where it's routing to/from in Ableton, so I can't mute it. Obviously I could just somehow record my input onto an audio channel but that wouldn't be very "live" would it.

I don't have (as far as I can tell) the TI set up to work as an audio input in Ableton - I have a separate Firewire interface and that's the only one that shows up in Ableton's config.

I can see my sound source lighting up the meter on my TI's main channel but even turning off that channel, I can still hear the input source faintly.

Ideally I'd like to hear only the result of using an atomizer, and not the unaltered input. Any suggestions?

• What is the "input 2/2 - source" set to in the TIs CONFIG menu? Is this set to "analog"? Also is the "characteristic" set to "linear" as well? And have you played around with different sensitivity settings on the " inputs 1/2" page?

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

Hi Jörg,
    I tried it but it didn't work. could you please give me more advice - many thanks. Chris

• Well, and finally I treid this in all modes (single, sequencer, multi mode..) which is the correct mode ?

This should work in all modes, but only with one patch, so for now, single mode is best for testing.

Yes, I simply want to feed external audio in my virus ti snow and put some effects on that audio. I think i have already adjusted the configs as you described above. Hoiwever I stillcan'z hear any transformed sound in my headphones (audio out).

It seems like you have everything set correctly, now in order to put the input through effects you need to create a patch that uses the input instead of the oscillators (as stated above you can have only one patch that uses input at a time). In VC under the FX1 tab there is the input section which you can set to static (always pass input) or dynamic (when MIDI note is on), but I don't remember how to do it using the Virus own knobs and buttons... Another option is to load one of the input/atomizer patches and play around with it (they should be supplied with newer Viruses, but they also used to be available for download).

• ok, i see what i can do. Actually, I understand that I should be able to do the settings without virus control - just in the config of my virus snow. However, maybe I missed some setting in the virus control software so I will check both. I also thought about to check the midi settings, maybe there is something wrong with the midi on/off signal feed to the virus. My summary is this:

AIM: feed external audio/virus ti snow + put effects on it:

- create a new patch in single mode,

- use input from external instead of oscillators feed

- check sensitvities, linear characteristics / analog , dynamic, input sources ..CONFIG

- direct thru = 0

- should work in all modes (single, sequencer, multi) - test in single mode

- turn on/off virus several times for "good starting"

for virus control, see

- FX1 tab (input section): static = always pass input; dynamic = pass input when midi note is ON

- optional: use input/atomizer patches, supplied with new viruses

Regards Chris