Virus Dislike Club

• Just seen a post on Facebook from Access.

It's amazing how many dislike the Virus and it's ability to NOT work.

New software engineers needed?

• Why do you call me stupid?? Do you see me supporting the dislike of the Virus?? Don't you think its better having a link so we can give some useful information, specially if you're so concerned with people who dislikes Virus? Read before posting such claims or you may be the real stupid for not correctly reading!!

• More LIKES than DISLIKES i think you will find??? People NEVER complain when things are good (99% of time with Access & Virus) Human nature suggests we are all happy until something goes wrong... which IMHO is NOT related to Access or the VIRUS range.. its users PCs, Macs, Etc, which Access has NO control over.... and NO i DO NOT WORK FOR ACCESS!!! so please dont slag off the Virus or Access... GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE POSTING DEFAMATORY REMARKS!! I own lots of other gear, and Roland, Korg etc can be ashamed of themselves over recent updates and product support... and i have been using their gear for 30+ years!!....

Access support their gear (which is why i bought it!) and dont just drop old gear for new gear to make money! and i for one respect that!....
    Quality counts in large amounts!!! (Depeche mode circa 1981) :thumbup:

• Why do you call me stupid?? Do you see me supporting the dislike of the Virus?? Don't you think its better having a link so we can give some useful information, specially if you're so concerned with people who dislikes Virus? Read before posting such claims or you may be the real stupid for not correctly reading!!

Virus is an "aquired taste" i can see both sides of the users story, but personally i think Access offer "too much???" in the sense they try to deliver what the Virus is capable of, but are always playing catch up! and users get frustrated because they dont deliver what they promised... however, they STILL push and beieive (like me) that one day YOU WILL! get what they promised!.. and i like and trust that,... :thumbup:

If you have invested in a Virus (like me) and expect better things, BE PATIENT! you will be glad you did, and i know VC is a pain in the A**E!!! sometimes with your DAW, but... what other hardware synth is out there that does what the Virus does??? It has a "Unique" architecture which i Love! and look forward to its updates, quirkiness, and cult like following... i always turn to my Virus for inspiration above ANY other synth i have, (and i have 12!!!) so please be nice and patient,,, all good things come to those who wait peepz!! 8)

• Ey I really love my Virus :)! In fact I have a Polar and a Snow :) Maybe I'm looking forward to upgrade my Snow to a TI Keyboard. I have also read so many posts regarding issues with VC but personally I use my Virus standalone so no problems for me ;)

Indeed, Virus is really my favorite synth :) I never have owned two synths of the very same model so imagine how much I like those :)

• Im happy to wait and see if VC will improve with OS5. I love my Virus and it really annoys me as well lol

reading carefully what ... ?
    all those stupid guys posting stupid things on facebook?
    it's too boring ... they are idiots !!!

8)

• If you have everything set up properly in a supported DAW, Virus works fine. There's nothing wrong or broken.
    It even works OK in Reaper (unsupposrted) as long as you engage Live mode when playing and disable it for recording your MIDI tracks to audio. Otherwise latency gets a bit too high.

Of course it would be even better if Access added support for Reaper officially, since it's quickly becoming the most popular DAW ;)

• Amazing how so many people spend time complaining about what they can't do, rather than creating with the tools that they have. That's the great thing about the Virus; it's so flexible that it's nearly impossible for the synth to be useless. Can't get the USB-MIDI working? Plug in a MIDI cable. Can't get VC running to edit patches? Plenty of knobs on the front of the box. Not recording at the sample rate you want over USB? Run the analogue outs into your audio interface. Computer fried? You can still make music with any old controller and a 4-track. The only problem not easily solved is there not being enough of the Virus to go around!

But I guess for some people it's easier to complain on Facebook rather than work with what they have. If they really don't like their Virus, they are more than welcome to give it to me!

• I'm one who is used to software, and i don't like having to get used to a workflow that's slower. That's my main gripe with the Virus - compared to a lot of software the VC interface is lagging behind. Things like a simple next/previous button for waveform selection, the ability to type in values for osc tuning, visual feedback, custom lfo's, semitone values on the arpeggiator and drag and drop would all come in handy. Amongst other things. Personally i find the mod matrix a bit of a mess and a chore to use. To do something as simple as tremelo can take a few minutes work.

And the ability to freeze track on my daw would be nice, although i don't know if this is possible with hardware.

I'm sure some things wouldn't take up any more dsp power to implement. For example, instead of using daw automation it could be possible for the VC to automate itself with basic lfo's and envelopes and be synced to the host DAW. If just the control parameters were like this, then the actual Virus wouldn't need to know any different. And it would open up a lot of possibilities. Such as being able to trigger an lfo phase via a midi channel routed to the VC, or being able to draw in custom lfo shapes.

I know some people won't accept any criticism of the Virus, but the fact is its not perfect and could be better. And when something has such a high price tag, there will be high expectations.

After using it for a few months, truth is i don't know any feature on the Virus that couldn't be replicated by software. I'd love someone to prove me wrong, as its probably due to my lack of skill.

• Some things you suggest are possible with hardware, and some are not. The great advantage of the Virus is the amount of polyphony you get without taxing the CPU.

Things like a simple next/previous button for waveform selection, the ability to type in values for osc tuning, visual feedback, custom lfo's, semitone values on the arpeggiator and drag and drop would all come in handy. Amongst other things. Personally i find the mod matrix a bit of a mess and a chore to use. To do something as simple as tremelo can take a few minutes work.

You are right regarding the UI. It would be great to have more options for input, such as entering exact values into a text box. What would you like to drag and drop besides patches, which is already implemented? Regarding "point edit" LFO-s and OSC-s, I don't think it is possible in the current architecture, since it would be hard to translate into sysEx bytes in a compact way.

And the ability to freeze track on my daw would be nice, although i don't know if this is possible with hardware.

Unfortunately, it's not possible the way you are used to. Freezing and flattening is done offline, meaning when the CPU has some free time it pre-calculates the sound at maximum speed (quicker than it takes to play it), but when the CPU is needed for something more important, it will stop calculating the sound in the middle, and return to it when available. The computer's CPU and Virus CPU are not directly linked and one cannot tell the other to work faster or to pause. Moreover, the sound heard through the analog outs will be distorted if the Virus CPU doesn't keep a steady pace of calculation. Your only choice is to bounce the track to audio in real time, but you know what? It gives you a chance to listen to the track isolated from the others the whole way through. You can use this time to rethink this part, and get some inspiration.

I'm sure some things wouldn't take up any more dsp power to implement. For example, instead of using daw automation it could be possible for the VC to automate itself with basic lfo's and envelopes and be synced to the host DAW. If just the control parameters were like this, then the actual Virus wouldn't need to know any different. And it would open up a lot of possibilities.

If I got the vibes right from Access, you can't do anything with VC that you cannot save in a patch or a multi and use later in a live situation. LFO-s that are external to the Virus internal routing, of course, cannot be used that way. But I've seen many DAW-s that let you modulate parameters in an LFO like way (not just using an automation lane), and I bet there are some VST-s out there that generate MIDI CC streams from LFO patterns which you can redirect to the Virus.

After using it for a few months, truth is i don't know any feature on the Virus that couldn't be replicated by software. I'd love someone to prove me wrong, as its probably due to my lack of skill.

The Virus IS software. Firmware to be exact, but like any other virtual analog synth, plugin or hardware, it calculates the sound it produces. Like any other software, it can be copied, reverse engineered or emulated. It's advantages are in the fact that you can use it to offload your CPU for other things, and take it with you to the stage, to play it like the instrument that it is, not needing a laptop to be present beside you.
    Hope this helps.

• Some useful reading there Bob, You certainly know your stuff! :o)

Ive eventually got my Virus working to an extent by using SPDIF for audio and USB for midi. Seems to be alot more stable and error free.
    Only thing I cant do is use the Virus on a 48khz project. I suppose ill just have to wait and see if OS5 has a fix for this :whistling: