How to solve your Virus TI sync problems and latency problems , if your using the Virus integration plugin and you have big MIDI timing problems

• If you can't make your Virus TI to work perfectly using Virus plugin integration , let me tell you my tricks and my explanations to understand all Virus TI INS and OUTS of MIDI&AUDIO signals .

I have discovered that is just impossible to use Virus TI VST integration in multimode using USB Virus outputs because of sync timing problems especially when it comes to recording Virus ARPs or when I'm using different VST instruments side by side with Virus..

For me Virus Ti & VST Virus plugin integration are working together perfectly ,only if I'm using Virus analog outs and not USB outs and if I use Virus as a main soundcard for all my Virus TI work, so basically in this situation I can't bounce the audio signal from Virus to DAW, so i must use onother soundcard in WDM mode to capture and record the Virus TI audio signal in Sonar.

So the Virus TI audio signal is captured by another secondary soundcard and is recorded directly in Sonar .The signal is not recorded directly from the Virus to Sonar. Also Virus is used as the main soundcard. The other soundcard is only secondary used to capture different audio signals like microphone, Virus Ti signal..etc. For this reason I normally disable the audio outs from the secondary souncard and I keep only the necessary inputs . For secondary soundcard i use ECHO Audio Fire 8 with FIREWIRE connection.So for this reason, Virus Ti outputs are connected to my monitor speakers . And Virus Ti digital outputs are connected to my secondary soundcard. Because I work with Virus the other soundcard is left with no monitor speaker connection and is used only for incoming audio signal..

To be more clear , when Virus Ti plugin is using Out1 L&R , this means the USB cable will use only MIDI data Virus >PC and DAW audio data that comes from PC to> Virus when your project is playing.

In the opposite scenario , if you select USB outputs from the Virus plugin , Virus must send the audio singnal from the Virus > to > Computer and from Computer > back to > Virus . This means 2 steps !! not just one !! so this means a big time loose, and means that the USB cable and Virus processors will become exhausted, because of to much information. So basically in this situation Virus will sound desinchronized from the rest of your VSTs because he's loosing time. You will think that something is wrong with Virus TI..but in fact something is wrong with your setup because Virus is loosing time.

To be more clear if you sellect Out1 L&R from your Virus Plugin, and if you're using your Virus soundcard in the main role, you have the fallowing signals:
    1) Your VSTs & audio tracks (your project) sound that comes from PC > to Virus TI > to speakers
    2) Your Virus TI sound that comes from Virus TI > to speakers
    3) MIDI data from Virus TI > to your DAW

Because of WDM mode i can use 2 soundcards.The other soundcard is used for microphone recordings.... Pretty complicated but once you understand is simple and is working perfectly .This is the trick to make your Virus working perfectly in case you have big timing problems using the Virus plugin integration. Keep in mind that with ASIO you can't use 2 soundcards at the same time .

And DON'T FORGHET TO PRESS THE LIVE BUTTON INSIDE YOUR Virus integration plugin. :thumbup:

Also you must set your DAW latency to 128 samples-2,7 ms

Also you must update your Virus and your Daw with the latest updates

Also don't forget to check your PC system using a software called DPC latency checker because you must have your system latency bellow 80 us so if you dont have that latency you must set you sistem . And this means to disable different Bios and CPU functions ....Took me 2 weeks to find all settings .I will upload some special tutorials soon regarding how to set DPC !!.

Also you must turn off your USB port's power save option. In Windows XP Pro

• In Windows, click on Start >Control Panel (or Start >Settings >Control Panel).
    • Double-click on System, then open the Hardware tab.
    • Click Device Manager.
    • Click the + at Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
    • Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
    • Open the Power Management tab.
    • Clear the checkmark from Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    • Click OK.
    • Repeat this procedure for the USB 2.0 Hub.

For example is not working if I use ASIO because with ASIO I can use only one soundcard . :pinch: WDM seems a lot more flexible to set 2 or 3 soundcards for my project. I normally use the secondary soundcard only when I need to record audio inside Sonar. Maybe my setup looks a litle strange but is working . I can't find another way to work with Ti perfectly. Now I'm happy with my setup and I don;t care if is a little difficult because I like the perfect results.

If you find my tutorial extremely useful and helpful and you manage to setup your Virus perfectly ,also I give you 50 sounds for free and in exchange you can consider my cheap soundset for purchase >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP0V0zeI1RI

• Hi Andy-Robert79!

Thanks for your guide. I've got similar experience with Virus TI. First, I have to apologize you for my bad English. I'm here because of my problems with Virus TI and not good Access Staff Support at all. Maybe my English is so bad OR they are don't read carefully e-mails... Don't know. I have put below e-mail which sent to Access support with explanation how I managed my main Virus problems - Windows 7 64-bit couldn't detect device on Intel Sandy Bridge hardware system.

There are my two cents worth (copied from mailbox):

- Beginning of quote -

As I said before, there is a small guide how I have resolved my main problem with Virus TI - very bad sound on ASIO driver and device detection problems.

First time, I made some tests on old system LGA775 socket with Intel G41/ICH7 on board.

[Blockierte Grafik: http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/733/intelg41ich7lga775.jpg]

I had connected to computer devices: Virus, keyboard, mouse. Virus was detected properly without any problems, but played with occasional "spikes". I figured out that my mouse was "spikes" generator - when I touched it then "spikes" came up. "Hmmm... Weird." - I though. So, I disconnected Virus from the old computer and plugged it into my computer based on Intel i5 Sandy Bridge platform. Of course, Windows 7 (installed from scratch) noticed me that couldn't start device (yellow exclamation mark) - "Damn, not again..." Next, I disconnected all USB devices: keyboard, mouse and Virus and connected ONLY Virus - no exclamation mark!! The important thing is here that I not used any USB hub. I connected Vrius directly to the computer (USB on back panel). Afterwards, I put in the mouse and... wait! No mouse in device manager! What the... With the keyboard the same thing happened! No keyboard!!

Virus connected to Belkin external hub:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/2204/belkinadvproporites.jpg]

Conclusion:
    - alone Virus connected to build-in hub controller - works!
    - Virus with keyboard or mouse - not works!
    - Virus with ONE low USB usage device - works!
    - Virus with TWO low USB usage device - crap, Virus with exclamation mark!

In my case, my computer based on i5 SB have 12 USB ports and two USB controllers (6 USBs each). First four are located on back panel, next two have one USB connector located on the motherboard. I have discovered that the second USB controller (6 USBs) has 3 connectors located on the motherboard too. So, there are 4 connectors for additional USB ports: 3 linked to the second USB controller and 1 to the first USB controller. OK, the point here is connect all USB devices to the first controller and alone Virus to the second controller. This configuration makes Virus device detectable, but I don't know why it works in this way.

Virus connected to the second controller via port located on motherboard:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3843/intelz686seriesc200.jpg]

and generic USB hub properties:
    [Blockierte Grafik: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3303/intelz68generichub.jpg]

Finally, Virus works very well, but NOT perfectly. What problems still are here? Although it works on USB controller alone, there are still exist glitches - sound it's not clear and I hear very quiet deformation (it's NOT distortion, it's similar to hard filtered "spikes"). I discovered that when I switch buffer size (no matters what size) in ASIO control panel few times (NOT sample rate - doesn't work this way), Virus will play clearly at least. Yes, i checked what Abelton Live runs now. On Renoise I have much better quality sound than on Ableton Live (the loud "spikes" still hear here), but I know issue. On Renoise I use MIDI Virus TI Synth as opposed to Ableton Live which use VST TI plugin. On Renoise TI system works badly too, so I gave up on it and use external MIDI Virus TI Synth (Virus works as external audio device). I HAVE NO CHOICE.

Yes, there are still many problems, but my main I solved in some way... Access Staff, has to check what is wrong with Virus USB interface, because I'm not alone with my problems - check your forum, because there are another people with the same mess.

Maybe OS5 will bring some breakthrough?

- End of quote -

I'm sure the problem with Virus TI has two faces (two sides of medal): first - new Sandy Bridge platform and new USB controllers' chipsets, second - hardware problems with USB interface implemented to Virus. I think there are some "unpredictable" glitches and unstable behavior witch appears randomly and because of it it's hard to trigger it if we don't know what the ground is...

I hope Access Staff will give us ultimate solution for our problems. So good device and so many troubles. It shouldn't never happen!

Best regards to all of you,
    Zeroone

• Zeroone - you only need to read through the threads you mentioned, to find out that the cause and remedies for the USB load issue are already known. They are also explained in the latest installation guide. The cause is that the Virus is a USB1.1 machine, and that the hub chips on the motherboards are single-TT (and not multi-TT). There are a few ways to fix this and what's common to all of them is that you make sure that whatever hub the Virus is connected to, it is the only USB1.1 device there. The thing that makes this complicated is that there are onboard devices that are hard-wired to the USB hub so you can't plug them out, your only hope is to try to disable them from the BIOS.

In any case look in your Hardware Manager and see what USB devices are connected, and what type are they. If you have a hub that has no on-board USB1.1 devices or bandwidth hungry devices such as network adapters, storage or camera, connected to it, reserve this hub for the Virus, and don't connect anything else to any of it's other ports.

If you do have on-board USB1.1 devices on both ports, get a USB2.0 external hub, and connect the Virus to the computer through the hub. The rule regarding bandwidth hungry devices still applies - avoid them for the root hub where Virus is connected.

If you have on board bandwidth hungry devices connected to both hubs, and you can't disable them, your only choice is to expand your computer with an extra USB hub (e.g. PCIx USB card), and reserve it for use with the Virus.

If after all this, your mouse still interrups the Virus, it must be a SW issue, not hardware.

Hope this helped.

• Hello Flabberbob!

Thanks for replay.

My motherboard has only USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports. All external devices such keyboard, mouse, Bluetooth, etc are connected to external hub Belkin F5U237v1 7-port. If my memory is not wrong, I have tried to connect Virus into Belkin hub alone, but without any good results. I will try to do it again when I'll get back to home.

Virus -> Belkin -> computer first USB controller
    Other USB devices -> computer second USB controller

Cheers!

• Maybe I did not understand something, I do not speak English, but when I installed Virus TI, I had lost all external devices USB, and TI will not established, then I turned off all appliances installed TI, but also connect my computer they are not identified! problem solved by removing from the Manager of USB, reboot the system found everything and it worked

• I have checked configuration Virus -> Belkin hub -> PC. So, when Virus is connected via Belkin hub or not - it makes no odds. Sound isn't clear and I hear some "filtered" crackles. If I'm lucky, sometimes Virus start very well and sound is clear without crackles. A driver troubles?

Link to an example audio file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/009wjn