TIOS 3.3.0.00 Public Beta has been released

• Hi, new to the forum and just bought a Virus.

I've had the same problem as Spanda, the AU doesn't always complete the initial Starting Up process (does about half of the white bars but never goes any further). Reboot fixes it.

Also I feel like the Virus came with patches already in the ROM V, X, and Y spots (I could swear I was playing some patches in those areas, and I hadn't done any updates yet or anything), and then when I did the 3.3 update, they're empty now. Could be just me though, just figuring this thing out now...

Virus TI2 Keyboard
    Pretty recent iMac
    Logic 9.0.2

• As an update, I'm pretty much finding the AU plugin never completes startup anymore. Not sure what combo of restarts and reboots gets it working again but I had to downgrade back to 3.1 to get productive again. I don't know if it matters but I run my Logic at 96 kHz.

• I've got problems with this, too. I've been in contact with support for quite a while, but they haven't been able to reproduce my problems yet.

There are workarounds, however:

- The TI2 is recognized by my MacPro, if I turn it on BEFORE the MacPro.
    - If I turn it on AFTER booting my Mac, it shows "USB" in the display but is not recognized by the plug-in. The Polar keyboard sends no MIDI data into Logic either.
    - BUT: I can force the recognition by re-scanning the MIDI setup in the "Audio-MIDI-Setup" app.

When I do that, everything works fine. Maybe this helps others, too?

BTW: I checked this with no other USB devices connected (except for keyboard and mouse) - doesn't help. I guess, this is a 3.3 only problem since I switched from a TI1 with 3.2.x directly to the TI2. I only disconnected the TI1 (which had been working perfectly all the time), connected the TI2 with the same USB cable and installed beta 3.3. Since then, the problems are there.

What I haven't tried so far due to a lack of time: Downgrade to 3.2.x firmware and drivers.

Best regards,

Christian

• EDIT: Just doing it now. Will report back...

It's strange though with 3.3 :

- The VCC recognizes the TI2, it can be updated, backupped and restored.
    - The TI2's MIDI and audio drivers are recognized in the Audio-MIDI-Setup (not greyed out). They are also recognized as being there in my MIDI monitor app.
    - USB link established is shown in the display
    - "USB" is permanently shown in the upper right corner.

BUT: The plug-in doesn't recognize the connected TI2, and the TI2's keyboard doesn't send any data. It only works when I start it before the Mac OR when I re-scan the MIDI drivers.

Hence the question: Is the MIDI driver f**** up?

I'm gonna try it now with beta 3.2.x (which worked before with the TI1).

Best regards,

Christian

• Heck, no!!! ;(

At least with a simple restart of my Mac, it still doesn't work! The TI1's good karma seems to be gone - even after the downgrade, TI2 won't send anything when just connected to the Mac. AND: The TI1 (which I still have here) now shows the same problem with a version it worked nicely on before... X(

It's really irritating: I disconnect USB - the display reads "USB link lost". The TI-driver is greyed out in the Audio-MIDI-Setup. I plug the cable back in, the display reads "USB link established", and the driver icon in the AMS is active again. The TI2's keyboard automatically goes local off, like it should be! So, my Mac perfectly recognizes the new USB device. Even the TI2 recognizes that it's in USB mode. It can even be talked to via VCC!

But when I start Logic or my MIDI monitor app, the Virus plug-in does NOT recognize the TI2, and no MIDI data can be sent from the TI2 (note or controller data, no matter). I have to re-scan the MIDI drivers to get it to work.

So where's the problem? Is it the MIDI driver? Or is it Snow Leopard? Or the combination of the two? Why did the TI1 work perfectly with this version but the TI2 doesn't?

Maybe we could help each other with clearly reproducing this. Can anybody with a Mac try it please? Only if Access knows it's not just me they'll be able to fix it.

Help would be much appreciated!

Christian

• I took the exact same steps and got the exact same result with 3.2. I've had to revert to 3.1 and just reboot every once in a while to get the Mac to see the Virus and to get the VC to find it too. Everything kinda works with 3.1, just the sync is way out. I'm just gonna stick to 3.1 for now and use it old-school MIDI cables and analog outs until the Access boys know what's happening.

• My TI2 desktop is fine with 3.3.0.0 in x64 mode (Intel C2D e2220 2.2ghz, 2gb ddr2 667, win 7 x64); Virus Control in VST3 is noticeably faster and more responsive than the VST 2.4 version; however, the same VST 2.4 is more precisely synced to my Virus: sometimes it will just happen that with the VST3 version I tweak some parameters and they're not sent to the unit, VC sees the edits but the Virus does not and I have to do those edits again with the device's knobs. As far as I love the physical tweaking the parameters which suffer the most from this trouble are the ones with more options (like soft knobs assign) where using the mouse is just more precise.

• That's great guys, but I think we have to differentiate between the platforms: Problems under Windows 7 won't be the same (or have the same reason) as under Mac OS X. My problems with OS X can only be reproduced by people using Snow Leopard 10.6.x and starting up their Virus TI2 *after* the Mac has booted.

Of course, this doesn't mean you shouldn't try to reproduce yours! Nothing can be more annoying than eagerly waiting for an official release and then realising that the problems stay the same because too few users sent their reports to the support team. :thumbup:

Best regards,

Christian

• Hi Marc,

that's great news, thanks!

BTW, back to 3.2.0.07, there is a SMALL change to the better: When I had turned on the TI *after* the Mac and then restarted the Mac, the MIDI driver wouldn't still be recognized with beta 3.3. But now, with the older beta, at least a restart of the Mac with the TI turned on helps: It is recognized and sends MIDI data.

The other problems persist, however: Dis- and reconnecting results in the need to rescan MIDI.

Best regards,

Christian

• Another thing I found: Win 7 x64, 3.3.0.00 x64; Virus Control Center can not backup my Virus TI Destop mk2 (always gets stuck when receiving Bank A from the unit itself) and crashes ("Virus Control Center stopped working") as soon as I try to burn a bank to ROM. I tried to reinstall the software three times, changing usb port, usb bus, nothing solved the troubles.

Edit: it now seems to be failing to reinstall the device's firmware, so that I'll soon have to find another computer to use my Virus again if it fails.
    I don't know why this happens, when I installed the 3.3.0.00 x64 for the first time it all went smoothly on this computer.

• Still no joy in running this on Win 7 32bit.
    I'm hoping they hurry up with a fix instead of just a Beta as they're slacking in comparrison to other companies. So far, UAD, RME, Korg, Camel audio and NI have all done Win 7 updates for their software and hardware that i use. The only thing no longer working is the Virus in Win 7.

The VC loads up but doesnt connect to the virus. No transmision whatsoever.

Using gigabyte P35 DS3P, Q6600 and 4g corsair ram.
    Works fine in my XP 32 partition but not in Windows 7. Shame.
    Hurry up chaps. I know you'll get it to us soon. Good luck on making it work all nice and stable.

• Finally I downgraded back to the 3.1 OS (and subsequently got those missing banks back). It worked a lot better but I got this weird issue where the synth was constantly about a semitone sharp. Checked some other forums and determined that the synth got confused what sample rate to be at, so if I went to Sampling Frequency and toggled it back and forth from 48 back to 44.1 kHz, it was fixed.

Though all the problems I've been having with this, and my Euphonix MC Control never working right, and my V-Synth crashing the MIDI server...I realized it was time to downgrade my computer back to regular (10.5) Leopard. Snow Leopard just isn't ready for music hardware yet.

So after doing that (an ARDUOUS task if you didn't have a clone of the drive, especially if you want to retain all your settings etc) everything is, of course, working much better.

Everything except the Virus: now fully flashed back to its original shipping OS (3.1), using 10.5.8, Logic 9.0.2, and all other factors stabilized, the V-Synth after long or short periods of time from being booted up spits out extremely loud random sounds (sound like raw oscillators). They can't be turned off (panic doesn't fix it) until you power down and back up the Virus.

Keep in mind this is a brand new Virus TI2, from a store, factory sealed, etc, that I've only had for 5 days so far. It almost seems like *no* OS works! Trust me I would have already taken the synth back if it wasn't built so damn well and sounded this good when it is working.

• Everything except the Virus: now fully flashed back to its original shipping OS (3.1), using 10.5.8, Logic 9.0.2, and all other factors stabilized, the V-Synth after long or short periods of time from being booted up spits out extremely loud random sounds (sound like raw oscillators). They can't be turned off (panic doesn't fix it) until you power down and back up the Virus.

suges,

what is your actual problem? your v-synth is acting up unless you power down the virus? also, what do you refer to as "and subsequently got those missing banks back"?
    best, marc

• Hi,

Has nothing to do with the V-Synth, I get them confused all the time when typing...what I *mean* is as it stands right now, the Virus right now is on OS 3.1 connected to a Mac OSX 10.5.8 computer running Logic 9.0.2. And now it randomly shoots out loud noises from time to time, which can't be stopped unless you turn off and on the Virus.

The thing about the banks is not a problem now, but what happened was I had tons of banks when I first got the Virus, installed the 3.3 beta OS, it removed some of the banks from the ROM (and I liked the stuff in those banks), then when I went back to OS 3.1 the installer put those banks back.

So to sum up, the only problem I'm having now are these random loud sounds blasting out of the synth from time to time out of nowhere.

• suges,

the noise problem has been solved by now, at least if you use 3.3 (public beta) you won't face it. as for the ROM banks, i'm a bit puzzled, the public beta doesn't have a different number of ROM banks.

best, marc

Marc,

hows the Official 3.3.0 OS development going? any new changes from the beta until the final release? when can we expect an Official release?

• Ah okay thanks Marc. I'm only writing here (and not contacting support) since none of this stuff is REALLY bothering me, but Access does have a forum here for discussion of the betas and I just wanted to lay down the experience for a new user.

Let me get to the bottom of this missing bank thing by actually taking note of what's in the ROM at 3.1 and what's in it at 3.3, see if there's any difference...