Help me reproduce this sound --> Midnight Brunch - Midsummer Night

• Hi all,

Hope erveryone's fine. It's been a nice and sunny day here in Paris.
    A day that reminded me of this gorgeous tune by Midnight Brunch, on Svek Records: Midsummer Night.
    I'd love to reproduce this sound of the track (

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    ), I mean the sweet nasal LFO'd lead.
    I've come close with the "Sniper" Wavetable, but I'm quite sure that the original sound was more likely based on more "classic" osc's. Unless it's a PPG, or a sample, of course :)

Any clue ?

Cheers

• I think this sound is based on 2 detuned sawtooth oscillators, with something like 70 detune amount. Also, The mixing of the oscillators should be a little towards one of the oscillators so the detune effect is lighter. The nasal quality comes from the filters - I would use the two filters serially to bring out only a portion of the mid-high range: high pass filter at ~95 and low pass filter at ~110. Also setting resonance at about 30 for both filters can make the sound more nasal. Now we need to bring back some high end, we can do this with distortion - bring the saturation all the way up and enable hard distortion in the saturation module. You can even add more distortion from the FX1 page, some light distortion with everything except high cut in the ~70% position. You can use a little high cut if you want to tame the sound.
    Now the only thing that is missing is the amplitude envelope which is controlled by 2 elements, first is LFO1->filter gain at 80% or more. I can hear in the link you gave that at every key press the sound is a little different in the LFO phase so leave trigger phase at 0, and maybe use mono mode if you want. The timing of the LFO seems to be clocked to 1/6. Secondly, there is a slow amplitude envelope: with attack at 40+ and decay or release (depending on how long you want to keep the note pressed) at 75+.
    Finally there are a few things that were made probably in the mixing stage but can be done with the Virus as well - one is high pass filtering on the track using the low EQ of FX1, at minimum gain and relatively high frequency, and some light reverb effect.
    Hope this helps.

• Hi flabberbob,

For sure it helps ! ! ! What an exhaustive reply ; I didn't expect that much.
    I'm gonna try tonight and tell you about it.
    BTW, don't you think there could be some ring modulation involved in the osc section ?

Thanx again & enjoy this day !

• I've just tried your recommendations and I'm getting very close.
    In fact, for the moment I'm getting much closer with my Nord Modular G2. I'll try and improve the patch on the Virus.
    Thanks again, this is very instructive. I wish I had your skills to reproduce a sound 'by ears'. I'm much better at tweaking the knobs in every directions :)

2 more questions :
    - one regarding the Filter Gain parameter: is there any equivalent destination in the matrix,
    - one to ask you how you would do this sound. Is this one a PPG ???

Ok, I must be taking advantage of your help on this one :)

• In the modulation matrix, the filter gain destination is referred to as Osc Volume, there are several other naming inconsistencies in VC as well...
    Regarding your other question, no worries, in fact I think that since I joined this forum, you are the first user that posted a link to a song that is actually a part of my daily diet :-). The sound itself is mostly characterized by the vibrato (LFO3 will be useful with its delay), and the fact that a low pass filter with some resonance, closes down very quickly. The oscillator this sound is based on is sawtooth here as well, and the bottom end is taken out the same way I described for your first sound. Instead of reverb we have delay :-).

• :thumbup:
    You rule (at least this post!)
    As for the Osc Volume - Filter Gain parameter, I already thought they were the same, but I felt they acted differently when experiencing it...

Thanks again & have a nice day (or night, depending on your place and time ?( )