usb vs spdif

• Hello..

I'm currently looking at getting a new audio interface, likely to be the RME Babyface. My Virus is currently connected to my computer solely with usb; would I get better results using the spdif input on this new interface or sticking with usb (or would it not matter as they are both digital?). I'm using it within Reaper and, whilst I've not had my Virus that long, usb seems to work great so far.

• Please note that the RME Babyface is a USB device, therefore it matters where you connect is with respect to the Virus (and this goes for any other USB audio interface). Other then that, if you succeed in giving the Virus the bandwidth it needs over USB, digital audio is digital audio, the connector type doesn't make it sound different. The differences are that you can send automation from your DAW over USB, as well as the fact that the DAW is able to compensate accurately for the delay of the VC plugin, and if I understand correctly from what I read in the forum, only out1 L/R are implemented through S/PDIF (although the standard supports more than just 2 channels).

• Thanks for that. Incidentally, I'm using Maschine on a different usb port but Reaper tends to get a bit buggy and prone to crashing whenever I introduce it alongside the Virus. I realise that Reaper isn't officially supported by Access but I'm guessing this is more likely to be a usb issue than anything else (which makes me hesitant about getting the Babyface). Is there anything else I can do? Would it help if I got an additional usb PCIe card especially for the Virus?

• Would it help if I got an additional usb PCIe card especially for the Virus?

If a dedicated PCIe USB host controller doesn't solve your problem, it will at least indicate that USB is not the problem, and you should check how you can streamline your SW, increase the amount of RAM etc. Just make sure that you get one with a multi-TT USB2 chipset, of a well known make and model. You can also ask Access support by email if there are any known compatibility issues before you buy.