Ableton: No Virus Synth/MIDI

• Hi

I've just about had enough of my TI...

Anyway, after doing an immensely length and multiple-crashing OS re-install, and farting about forever with different USB ports, Windows 7's (64-bit edition) device manager reports that the TI is all present and correct, as does the Virus Control Centre.

However in Ableton (yes, using 32-bit VST, the 64-bit one doesn't get seen by Ableton) I do not see the options to route to "Virus TI Midi" or "Virus TI Synth" that should be there (they used to be). The Virus doesn't show up as a device in the MIDI settings.

Anyone have any clue why this is? SURELY it's supposed to show up?

Any suggestions before I throw the damn thing out of the window / on to eBay?

Cheers
    Tim :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

• I spoke too soon.

2nd BSOD of the night - VirusUSB.sys to blame.

NO idea what I am doing wrong - assuming it's me and not the Virus - it seems that it has become a flakey piece of crap after upgrading the OS.

Anyone want to buy it off me? It's worth all of, ooh, $10 to me now.

• as far as i know, windows supplies both ableton live and the device manager with information about what's connected. if the virus driver is only listed in one place (ableton live doesn't "see" it), you could interpret this as a installation problem of the driver or a issue with your windows installation. in any case you should contact access support.
    marc

• Ruari I'm already in the UK so I could probably throw it down the street to you.

But sadly (for you), I finally got the blasted thing working. By a combination of waiting for the wind to blow the right way, making sacrifices to Dark Gods, uninstalling / reinstalling drivers several times, and the Virus OS once, powering up/down while holding different buttons whilst dancing around a dead chicken, and randomly replugging USB devices while cursing the inventor of it and laughing at the "Universal" in the name, somehow, Ableton does indeed now "see" it - Marc.

I now get, as expected, Virus TI Synth and Virus TI MIDI showing up correctly in Ableton's midi preferences. I also get those 2 as routing choices on each clip or track strip, which is what I had previously under the old TI OS.

Things that might have made a difference: reinstalling the TI OS (takes FOREVER, and opening up Firefox to look at the internet while waiting, or doing anything at all, even moving the mouse, caused the OS update to fail... took me 3 times to learn that) / trying my millions of USB devices in different plugs (mouse, keyboard, TI, that's all! ffs) / uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling the driver and using a different USB port for 2nd step of installation, etc etc.

One odd error that cropped up once was that Windows 7 complained that the Virus drivers were not correctly digitally signed. I think I successfully got it to ignore that though.

• Ruari I'm already in the UK so I could probably throw it down the street to you.

But sadly (for you), I finally got the blasted thing working. By a combination of waiting for the wind to blow the right way, making sacrifices to Dark Gods, uninstalling / reinstalling drivers several times, and the Virus OS once, powering up/down while holding different buttons whilst dancing around a dead chicken, and randomly replugging USB devices while cursing the inventor of it and laughing at the "Universal" in the name, somehow, Ableton does indeed now "see" it

Lol!!

Well, as disappointed as I am that you don't want rid of it anymore I'm much happier for you that you seem to be getting somewhere with it. I know it can be a bit time consuming & frustrating trying to get everything set up so your whole system plays nice together, stick with it though as it's all worth it in the end.

If you change your mind at any point, just let me know. I've got a lovely crisp $10 bill with your name on it stashed away here if you want it, in fact, because I'm such a nice guy I'd possibly pay you in English Pounds - with todays exchange rate I think that's probably about six fiddy :P