Are Windows XP, Vista or MacOS 10.5 still important to you?

• Windows 8 is not a bad OS but I sure hate that Metro and no more start menu :thumbdown:

There's a great free Start menu replacement for Windows 8 (that also optionally bypasses the Win 8 start screen), called Classic Shell. Makes Win 8 much less painful.

I'm a Windows developer who's found it increasingly difficult to write software that both supports the newer Windows versions AND still runs well under XP, with its now antiquated APIs. The changes in the Windows 8 WDK make it even more of a challenge, and I definitely sympathize with Access on this one.

• I definitely sympathize with Access on this one.

I do not,. simply because they make 'Very' Expensive hardware :) As I said (e.g. Korg Kronos) amongst many others still offer hardware support for XP,. including a great many new hardware products that cost Far less ;)

Also like I said any VST software I have,. made exclusively for Win 7 or 8 that had never been made to run on XP runs perfectly on my XP machine,. with thee exception of ones that use the new runtimes for touch use,. they just will not install at all,.. However I am working on that ;) Besides why on earth would Access want to use touch runtimes in the VC,. that would make their coding more buggy IMHO,..... Besides that is what iPad's are for :thumbup:

From my investigations on start menu replacement,. Start 8 by Stardock looks great ! :)

• Actually WinRT apparently does not use more resources,. at least from all I have heard/read,. and like the desktop can be themed,.. The Start 8 by Star Dock I mentioned also follows your themes and even nicer allows you to boot directly to the desktop,.. I am goings to install it on my internet PC and see what I think of it over time for DAW use ...

• OSX 10.6.8 here, with Logic 9.1.8.

I personally don't care about OSX 10.5 support. I had upgraded my machine to Lion quite some time ago, but Logic 9 has some serious performance issues on 10.7/10.8 (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4142085?tstart=0 is just one example). I wound up downgrading my system to 10.6.8, which is rock solid. In the course of the frustration that led to downgrading, I found many, many people that are sticking with 10.6.8 for a while.

As such, my vote would be that to drop 10.5 support is probably not an issue for many people, although dropping 10.6 might be a bit premature.

• My whole DAW runs on windows XP it really runs like a dream with no issues or bugs unlike others that have gone through the whole upgrading to windows 7 ect. I really want to update my virus ti software to v.5 but their is no software update for windows xp :( Their are many people that still use XP so i wonder if access will release a Windows XP Virruss TI V.5 update ???

• My whole DAW runs on windows XP it really runs like a dream with no issues or bugs unlike others that have gone through the whole upgrading to windows 7 ect. I really want to update my virus ti software to v.5 but their is no software update for windows xp :( Their are many people that still use XP so i wonder if access will release a Windows XP Virruss TI V.5 update ???

I agree ENTIRELY ! Also my XP machine runs beautifully, boots in 8 seconds, Never, ever an issue even when using software made for Win 7 & 8 unless it uses touch runtimes (e.g. Sonar X2a) <---could care less,.. There ARE plenty of people running OS5 on XP w/ no problems,. Marc made it clear that Access have not done anything to prevent it from installing on XP,. but that they wont test against it anymore & I do Not agree with this decision 'like I said' the Virus TI's are VERY EXPENSIVE pieces of hardware,. unlike a software only VST thus they should be supporting XP AT LEAST until they come out with a TI 3 or whatever ........ And you folks that are on a newer OS ... just don't because if you were still on XP 'strictly' you'd be on board with this one ;) Anyway I digress,.. I have read numerous complaints that OS5 will not finish installing not just on some peoples XP machines but Vista and 7 as well,.. Have you even tried ? I have not as I am in the middle of many big projects and would not even if it was tested against XP simply because I don't have the time right now,.. I know I have never had an issue & this includes a lot of other people getting VC to install,.. So there is a bug obviously,.. Which is another reason I am not going to try right now even if I was on Win 7 ... ^^