Access Virus C audio dropouts and harsh noises - always needs re-starting

• Ok, so the Access Virus C Desktop maybe a bit old now but this should not happen... please help or point me in the right direction if you can ?(

When turned on initially, everything functions perfectly.

After a short period of time, the loaded preset sound drops out and terrible screeching high pitch noises can be heard. The machine is again OK after being switched off momentarily. Sometimes it stays working properly longer than others - there seems to be no consistency in when it fails.

Prior to this fault, it would occasionally just drop out (no sound at all) and would require a re-start.

Audio would also drop out sometimes when running MIDI notes into the Virus from a host sequencer.

I have just replaced the CR2032 Battery hoping that this would fix it. I also upgraded the OS to the OS 6.6 Beta Version.
    It always boots up properly and always works properly on boot.

If you know this problem, I would be very very grateful if you could please let me know what is is. I have read about the same thing happening to other users. I am experienced with electronics and, being a poor student, am looking for a cheap as possible solution. Thanks so much for any help.

• Hey buddy, Im having the exact same issue with mine. Its extremely frustrating! Not sure if this is a fluke but Ive stopped using anything from the factory "a" bank and I haven't had problems like that lately. I had it going all weekend for hours at a time with lots of tweaking and at most I had some notes stick. Just hit the panic and everything was back to normal. That being said, I still thing something is wrong internally.

• its the same problem on my virus indigo2 OS6.5.
    its also on all soundbanks, thats very sad.. cant use it anymore
    has anyone tried an older OS to solve the problem or contacted access if its an known problem to the c-machines?
    what kind of hardware-problem could it be, if it is not caused by the OS?
    i think it happens more often the warmer the synth is, but i'm not shure.
    any idea??

• ****INTERESTING UPDATE!!!

Well, Access has denied ALL but the designated Virus Service and Repair place here in Germany has clearly stated that it is a known HARDWARE ISSUE (something with the DSP but they would not tell me exactly what - they said they can't be sure). They said that there is a good chance of repair but it would COST around 200 € !!!!

They knew exactly what I was talking about proving that this is a known fault / issue!!!!

Not impressed Access... I have a synth from 1983 that still functions perfectly. I thought this was a reputable company.

;(

• Sorry, but this is a clear misinterpretation of what they were saying. Of course our hardware service department (which deals with nothing but repairs and service issues) knows what is causing such an issue, but this is *NOT* a general problem with every single Virus c unit out there! Our engineers at our service department clearly come across a lot of service cases and if a service case shows up more than once, then they remember what is going on or how they need to address this.
    But once again: this does not mean every singe Virus c out there has this issue. This is clearly not the case.

Best wishes,
    Jörg Hüttner

• HELP!!!

I have the exact same issue with my Virus C Desktop, OS 6.5:

"When turned on initially, everything functions perfectly. After a short period of time, the loaded preset sound drops out and terrible screeching high pitch noises can be heard. The machine is again OK after being switched off momentarily. Sometimes it stays working properly longer than others - there seems to be no consistency in when it fails."

Prior to this fault, it wouldn't just drop out the sound, but seems like the part you are playing change out, es.: part 1 sound routed on exit 1 starts coming out from another out, like 3
    And this would require a re-start.

I have replaced the CR2032 Battery as well, I have replaced also the fuse… the problem is still here!!
    It always boots up properly and always works properly on boot.

Please, HELP… I was in love with my VirusC.. what can I do???

Thanks so much for any help.

• Ive had the same issue with a virus c. Replaced the battery, updated the os, and most recently jad the capacitors replaced, but sadly its still broken. Same exact problems as before, so im picking the reply above about it being a dsp (i presuem this is the brain?) is accurate. Not sure what to try next...any siggestions?

• I'm having the same exact problem on an Indigo 2, seems like there are quite a few users with the same experience ?! -_-'

Anyone have been lucky enough that have resolved this? I hope this is not a hardware problem because I just got this 2nd hand..... :(

• Hello,
    I too got Virus KC used. Marvelous machine, loving it. Worked fine for a 2 weeks and now this.
    Apart from the symptom as described with the screeching sound it also only plays at left channel only hard reset solves it.

Thinking that it could be the audio circuitry, caps possibly, just because of how the amplitude of the sound behaves - the cap is getting charged and discharged - there is a slow rise in the hissing sound on note on with similar characteristic on note off/decay, hopefully nothing more than than this HW wise. I will update accordingly, I'll be taking the unit apart soon.
    In regards to support: I contacted Access in the past for advice and parts but frankly they no longer seem to stock anything for the older models, damn I wish to make my KC look as new :(
    But in fairness they replied to all my emails and addressed all queries I had, hardly any other manufacturer does that for discontinued products.

KR
    M

• In regards to support: I contacted Access in the past for advice and parts but frankly they no longer seem to stock anything for the older models, damn I wish to make my KC look as new
    But in fairness they replied to all my emails and addressed all queries I had, hardly any other manufacturer does that for discontinued products.

the Virus C series is build on non ROHS conform components. even if we want to, we cannot buy those anymore. the replacement parts we had left are simply gone buy now, which is like 13(?) years later ... all in all i'd say the Virus C is holding up really good.

• the Virus C series is build on non ROHS conform components. even if we want to, we cannot buy those anymore. the replacement parts we had left are simply gone buy now, which is like 13(?) years later ... all in all i'd say the Virus C is holding up really good.

OK I did not know that, I really only wanted faceplate/housing, no electrical parts, I never asked yo uto hold/re-order 13 years old parts, but had to chance it, what if ;) maybe 1 day someone will make vinyl sticker overlay.

Yeah seems to hold pretty well and holds it's value too, they don't sell cheap even used, plenty of people still have them, and it's an iconic synth now, but then there is this few of us that have this noise issue.
    Someone from Access replied to my lengthy email describing this issue and ruled out my suspicion about PSU issue, but no hint at what could it be either. Was that you?