The "think tank" behind updaters

• This is not a dig at Access at all, but just a R&D discussion
    With all the hype about the release of os5 and some serious issues already have surfaced.
    But I guess I or some people may wonder what does into programming updates and why things go one.
    Such as:
    1/ There are only two main platforms to develop for Win and OSX, so once developed should, everyone discover the same problems?
    2/ How many chipsets does the Virus have over the whole range and how does an update affect the interfacing between hardware and software?
    3/ With the previous updates, should the previous stated bugs be ironed out easily?

With all this, I'm trying to ascertain that there really shouldn't be any interfacing probs, just expanding the capabilities of the Virus.
    Again this is not a dig at Virus, but the processes and difficulties of a tested update released to the user end.
    Feel free to answer or add to this discussion thread

• Interesting points you raise, although I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a programming expert I can imagine changing anything in regards to the user interface or the features of the OS can potentially create new bugs and/or aggravate anything that was in the slightest bit unstable in the first place. I imagine making something for the Windows platform can be trickier than Mac as there's more variations in Windows PC hardware. I remember having hell trying to get my Digi 002 to work on a windows platform as it was so picky what motherboards it would work with!

• "With all the hype about the release of os5 and some serious issues already have surfaced."
    I feel I should point out that OS5 has not been released. The OS5 beta has been released. Issues are to be expected.
    The primary reasons for releasing a beta to the public are to find issues that a small QA team testing on a limited number of system configurations may not encounter, and to get feedback from users regarding any new features added in the new OS.

Having said that, I would be interested to hear answers to your questions as well, out of curiousity.

My own thoughts on those questions:
    1/ There are only two main platforms to develop for Win and OSX, so once developed should, everyone discover the same problems?
    There are multiple supported versions of Windows; I believe OSX is in the same position, though I am not an Apple user, so don't quote me on that.
    Bear in mind though, even if they were all the same operating system, there can be many different hardware differences, and for that hardware, different driver software.
    Also, an operating system is a complex piece of software in and of itself, which many different ways to configure it, and that's before considering that not everyone is running a fully updated, identical operating system install.
    On top of all that, there are the different supported DAWs to interface with as well.
    In other words, there are a lot of variables.

2/ How many chipsets does the Virus have over the whole range and how does an update affect the interfacing between hardware and software?
    I would be interested in an answer to this.

3/ With the previous updates, should the previous stated bugs be ironed out easily?
    There are bugs, and then there are bugs. Some are more difficult to fix than others. Some are more difficult to reproduce in a reliable manner. A thought to ponder: if one can't reproduce a bug, how do they test that it has been fixed?
    So in the end, it depends on the bug.