What's happening when I press LFO Env Mode?

• Ok, so today I've been having another look at the Virus new OS & seeing as we can't use Envelopes 3 or 4 to modulate the new Filter Bank parameters I thought I would try to use a triangle LFO in Envelope Mode as per the suggestions elsewhere. When I first set it up in the mod matrix I thought that something wasn't quite right so since then I've been doing some experimenting using Osc x Pitch as the destination as it's easier to hear what's happening.

An example you can try if you want to hear this for yourself is to set up osc1 to sound by itself & using the mod matrix route LFO 2 unipolar (set to square) to osc 1 pitch +10. When I press a key the modulation keeps the original pitch & jumps to the second pitch as in Ben's Bootcamp video, if I then activate Env Mode instead of the original pitch I get an offset pitch & the same second pitch as before. To get the lfo to complete 1 cycle & sound the same as LFO 2 unipolar when not in envelope mode, I need to set the mod matrix source to LFO 2 bipolar & activate Env Mode.

An even stranger thing happens if you change the shape of LFO 2 (still in envelope mode) to a sawtooth, slow the rate to about 30 so it becomes really obvious what's happening. In bipolar mode as soon as you hit a key on the keyboard the pitch starts to drop, kind of as you would expect it to do apart from the pitch issue described above. Now change the source to LFO 2 unipolar & hit the same key, when I do this the pitch sticks at the higher pitch for a period of time then starts to drop. Setting the trigger phase of the LFO seems to make no difference, the pitch still sticks before dropping.

It's very possible I'm mis-reading what I think should be happening here but I can't see why the behaviour of the LFOs should change just by activating envelope mode, I was expecting things to remain the same but only give me one cycle.

Am I missing something here?

• Regarding the second effect (saw LFO in Env mode+unipolar) - I'm not sure of the maths behind it, but I found it pretty cool, actually, and trigger phase does affect the length of the pause before the drop.

Potentially, this could prove to be a useful little trick you've discovered there, Ruari :thumbup:

• Envelope mode is already unipolar, so by selecting it as unipolar in the mod matrix, you get the offset effect you described.

Ok, that's fine if that's intentional, from now on I'll just select LFO x bipolar when modding the Filter Bank parameters whilst using envelope mode.

Regarding the second effect (saw LFO in Env mode+unipolar) - I'm not sure of the maths behind it, but I found it pretty cool, actually, and trigger phase does affect the length of the pause before the drop.

Potentially, this could prove to be a useful little trick you've discovered there, Ruari :thumbup:

I'm glad you like it, if it's here to stay I'll play around with it some more too. I like these kind of brain storming sessions.

Thanks Ben 8)