Allow an output choice via MIDI instead of USB.

• We should be allowed to use the USB for audio only and have all the MIDI routed via the MIDI ports.
    The fact that there are so many issues syncing the VC it's obvious that the throughput is the culprit.

We just spent $2000 on a Virus and the only possible solution I have read is to purchase a dedicated USB card? wow.
    I upgraded from my Virus C mainly for intergration within my DAW and with all the "workarounds" we have to do just to make it semi-functional is ridiculous.

Add to that the latency when one "prints" the audio....wow.
    IMO, this can get fixed if MIDI handles the MIDI and the Audio via USB and Outputs.

PCWS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=19TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+Platinum | CM Cosmos II

Cubits: Cubase 12.0.7 | CMC-TP · CH · PD · AI · QC · FDx2

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti · Virus C | Maschine Studio · Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | MOTU MidiXT | Roland XV-5080 · JV-2080 · TR-8 · TB-3 · VT-3 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MM27Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416

• This forum is for feature requests, not rants.. FYI Access did not define the USB standard and there is no need to buy a dedicated USB card for a Virus. Given the bandwidth required and the isochronous transfer mode it is perfectly reasonable that the Virus requires to be the sole USB 1.1 device on a root hub.. go do the math calcuations to see why.

• This forum is for feature requests, not rants.. FYI Access did not define the USB standard and there is no need to buy a dedicated USB card for a Virus. Given the bandwidth required and the isochronous transfer mode it is perfectly reasonable that the Virus requires to be the sole USB 1.1 device on a root hub.. go do the math calcuations to see why.

That was a feature request...
    Allow the MIDI to be output via the MIDI ports.

I guess you missed that part with all the actual reasons I gave on why it should be done...Yes, they were heated but still factual.
    Ironically I did mention a dedicated USB card then you mention the exact reason why..
    "it is perfectly reasonable that the Virus requires to be the sole USB 1.1 device on a root hub". lol.

So yes the feature that I want is the ability to choose which way the MIDI get routed.....That would be a great feature! 8o

PCWS: i7 3930k | Corsair H100 | Sapphire HD7950 Dual X | 64GB Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866 | MSI BigBang XPower II | 8xSamsung EVO=19TB + 2xWD4001=8TB HDD | Enermax 1200w 80+Platinum | CM Cosmos II

Main Gear: Access Virus Ti · Virus C | Maschine Studio · Jam | Korg Triton pro 76 | Novation SL MKII | MOTU MidiXT | Roland XV-5080 · JV-2080 · TR-8 · TB-3 · VT-3 | Goliath HD | Barefoot MM27Gen2 | Mackie HR824 | Yamaha AW4416

• You are absolutely, categorically, fundamentally and completely wrong in asserting the Virus requires a dedicated USB card.... it simply has no such requirement...

You're obviously trying to bait and I'm not biting.

I said "the only possible solution I have read is to purchase a dedicated USB card?"

All you have done in 2 posts in here is attempt to belittle my request for something that is "absolutely, categorically, fundamentally and completely" a problem w/our virus.
    If you don't have the problem, yay for you but please refrain from the rest of us who are frustrated with this part of our Virus...thank you.

oh, and feel free to chip in w/ a possible solution. thx. :whistling:

• I am most certainly not baiting you.. you made a statement that the only possible solution to using a Virus over USB is to buy a dedicated card. That is simply a false statement...
    If you have an understanding of USB, or even have just browsed the forum then you will see that while it is preferable for the Virus to be the only device on a root hub, if you know what is connected, and the USB protocol of those connected devices then the strict requirement is that the Virus should be the only USB1.1 device on a root hub.... this is not related to the firmware of the Virus, nor VC.. but the hardware. Installing a dedicated PCI USB card is not required to meet those requirements..hence your statement is incorrect..
    So why not leave out the fabrication and hyperbole and state what feature enhancement it is that you are suggesting.. alternatively, if you are having technical issues in integrating the Virus with your DAW then i suggest to post in the appropriate forum..after all, thousands of folks use this every day so the situation simply is not anything like as bad as you (mis)represent....
    In essence, I would think you will get a far better reception of a feature request if you lose the negativity, stick to the facts and make a clear statement of what feature you think can be programmed into firmware/VC and why it would be a benefit.
    regards, and peace out.

• I'm having a hard time understanding the request - you want to use VC, but send MIDI notes and CC-s to the Virus using the physical MIDI in, such as connecting a MIDI controller? The MIDI is just a tiny fraction of the bandwidth, and the Audio takes up bandwidth even when the Virus is generating complete silence. If you want to reduce bandwidth maybe try to change the VC mode to "2 in / no out" (under "common").
    If I misunderstood you please try to explain yourself again, try to give an example or a drawing of how you want to hook things up.

• I'm confused as well here. You can send midi out of any midi interface in/out of the virus for normal midi controlled operation. In ableton for instance you just send the midi to Virus Synth instead of Virus MIDI.

• I am most certainly not baiting you.. you made a statement that the only possible solution to using a Virus over USB is to buy a dedicated card. That is simply a false statement...
    If you have an understanding of USB, or even have just browsed the forum then you will see that while it is preferable for the Virus to be the only device on a root hub, if you know what is connected, and the USB protocol of those connected devices then the strict requirement is that the Virus should be the only USB1.1 device on a root hub.... this is not related to the firmware of the Virus, nor VC.. but the hardware. Installing a dedicated PCI USB card is not required to meet those requirements..hence your statement is incorrect..
    So why not leave out the fabrication and hyperbole and state what feature enhancement it is that you are suggesting.. alternatively, if you are having technical issues in integrating the Virus with your DAW then i suggest to post in the appropriate forum..after all, thousands of folks use this every day so the situation simply is not anything like as bad as you (mis)represent....
    In essence, I would think you will get a far better reception of a feature request if you lose the negativity, stick to the facts and make a clear statement of what feature you think can be programmed into firmware/VC and why it would be a benefit.
    regards, and peace out.

Seems you have a hard time understanding that I've read a dedicated card was the only solution throughout the forum especially when your reasoning for 1 device on the root hub is the exact reason people have recommended a standalone USB card. But since you can't correlate the two so I'll just say Thx for the posts...

I'm having a hard time understanding the request - you want to use VC, but send MIDI notes and CC-s to the Virus using the physical MIDI in, such as connecting a MIDI controller? The MIDI is just a tiny fraction of the bandwidth, and the Audio takes up bandwidth even when the Virus is generating complete silence. If you want to reduce bandwidth maybe try to change the VC mode to "2 in / no out" (under "common").
    If I misunderstood you please try to explain yourself again, try to give an example or a drawing of how you want to hook things up.

I'm confused as well here. You can send midi out of any midi interface in/out of the virus for normal midi controlled operation. In ableton for instance you just send the midi to Virus Synth instead of Virus MIDI.

FB & nms, thx for the reply.
    It's really not a I/O configuration issue as I have everything connected the way I want and the way they should be...

I am attempting to use VC within Cubase but VC struggles to keep everything in time. So IMO, the solution is to allow us to send the Virus' MIDI functionality/communications Either via USB or the MIDI outputs.
    It just seems that the arps and timing suffer badly within VC and USB connected but work perfectly via MIDI..so I figured if we could just let the MIDI travel via the MIDI connections & the timing could be perfect...

Part of the solutions that I've read is to get a dedicated USB card or as you say changing the mode to a lower I/O configuration.
    Now, Whether the reasoning is bandwidth or just physical connectivity issues may not be the core issue. The fact that VC timing works like scrambled eggs through the USB is.

Maybe i'm pi**ed at the fact that all the solutions i've read so far for improving our $2000 piece of hardware's timing is to restrict the outputs or buy more stuff...ugh.. I hope I explained it a little better ^^

• It just seems that the arps and timing suffer badly within VC and USB connected but work perfectly via MIDI..so I figured if we could just let the MIDI travel via the MIDI connections & the timing could be perfect...

The thing about USB audio is that it is delayed due to processing and buffering. The VST standard supports this by providing the DAW with the information needed to precompensate the MIDI timing for correct audio timing. This is why it is important that the MIDI information goes into the VSTi. If you break the linkage by sending the MIDI data somewhere else, your DAW cannot do the compensating for you.

VC struggles to keep everything in time.

We have all been there (and some still are...). This is a USB bandwidth problem and can be solved by streamlining your USB architecture. It is not essential that you buy another piece of hardware, as you can simply use system tools (device manager in windows and system profiler on mac) to find out what goes where in your computer. The Virus must not have any USB1.1 neighbours on its hub or any bandwidth hogging devices (storage, networking, multimedia, etc.) anywhere on its USB "tree". You may have to disable some on-board USB devices for this to happen, such as a laptop camera. In the meantime, or even most of the time you can use the 2 out mode. Regarding arps, there is another aspect and it is that the arp starts exactly when you press down the first key, so if you miss the beat the arp will continue to miss the beat until you release all the keys. DAW-wise the solution is to always have your arp parts quantized and during a phrase, let the notes overlap a little.

So IMO, the solution is to allow us to send the Virus' MIDI functionality/communications Either via USB or the MIDI outputs.

This is what got me confused - you call all the connections "outputs" even when they are inputs.
    Hope you find this useful.

• Another aspect that is worth mentioning is the amount of parts used at once. MIDI data is sent sequentially, so when you play several parts simultaneously unnoticeable latencies do occur, but even more so, above a certain point note stealing begins to take place which makes things sound totally not a intended. The solution is to solo and bounce to audio each Virus track before the mixing stage.

• The total bandwidth required by the Virus is not excessive, but certainly going to 2 out as recommended by FB is a good solution if you think total bandwidth is an issue.. my explanation before was clear enough however if you are having timing related issues, again, you need to look in your device manager and check to see if the Virus is the only device on its root hub.. if not, and ANY other device on that root hub is USB1.1 then this is your problem.....so either remove that unit, put the Virus in another port, or pay $15 for an extra PCI USB card. its that simple.. fyi this "issue" is not a fault in the Virus and cannot be fixed by Access in Virus firmware or VC software...
    As stated by FB, when recording arps, you should always have quantise set on your DAW, and ensure you have sunc set to external on the Virus. Also remember that the arp functionality on the Virus is lacking some noticeable live-play features when compared to the best of breed and so some apparant timing/playback errors (lost notes, notes in incorrect order, pattern reversal) may indeed be the Virus itself... these limitations are most evident when playing arps live... After reading your posts however I strongly suspect timing issues is purely a competing USB1.1 device on your root hub.