SIngle-cycle modulation with LFO or Mod Matrix?

• This is one of my first attempts to re-create a synth sound that I like. By now I was just tweaking the presets to see what the beast is capable of.
    I need to achieve a filter sweep that starts right after I hit a key - only single one-way sweep - and stops after 2-3 seconds.
    I tried to use LFO in filter envelope mode, but I probably do not know how to set the filter envelope curve or I am not able to set the LFO to perform the one-cycle continual change of filter cutoff.
    Coud this be done with LFO in filter envelope mode or do I need to use Mod Matrix?
    I guess it should be a basic knowlege for any sound designer.
    Thanks for help.

DAW: ProTools MP9
    Audio Interface: M-Audio NRV10
    Virus TI OS:4.5.3.00
    ---------------------------
    Synths : Alesis Andromeda A6, Virus Ti Polar,Nord Electro 3, DSI Tetra

• Is there any reason explaining why didn't you use the Filter Envelope to do this? Anyway, LFO 2 has direct mapping for Filter Cutoff 1 & 2 in envelope mode. IMHO the best Shape to use is a Triangle. Take the following considerations:
    1. You can begin with filter totally open and apply negative amount to the LFO modulation. This way, the sound will "fade in" with the filter sweep.. If you begin with the filter fully closed, apply positive modulation, but the effect won't be that much noticeable and the sound will "fade out".
    2. The rate of the LFO must be low. Begin with 40 for example.
    3. Enable Env Mode for LFO 2
    4. Set the Filter Envelope Amount to 0 (for both filters) in order to stop it modulating the filters.

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

• Thanks for your suggestions.
    I am aware that LFO2 has dedicated controls for Filter Cutoffs. I tried the to play with LFO2 in envelope mode (tried all of the shapes). I was able to tune the sweep (open -> closed filter) that I wanted, but it kept sweeping back (closed -> open).
    If I keep Filter Envelope Amount at 0, as you suggest, it means that Ithe Filter Envelope shape has no effect, right?
    I should also be able to find some preset with the same modulation type, so I that I could exploit its setup.

DAW: ProTools MP9
    Audio Interface: M-Audio NRV10
    Virus TI OS:4.5.3.00
    ---------------------------
    Synths : Alesis Andromeda A6, Virus Ti Polar,Nord Electro 3, DSI Tetra

• If you enabled Env Mode for LFO2 (double check that), the effect must be applied just once. However, certain Shapes will trigger it twice like Sine or Triangle where you find ascending and descending ranges on a single cycle. By maintaining Filter Envelope Amount at zero you're disabling the effect that the Filter Envelope has over the cutoff of the filter.

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarPabl ()