Part feedback

• Can anyone tell me if it is possible in Virus TI to make a feedback in single part - route part output back to it filters? Something like this is implemented in eg. Arturia Minibrute ("brute factor" is in reality the feedback). I think that NI Massive has also such functionality.

• AFAIK Saturation will do something similar on a single Part. Its available both at the Filter and Osc. If you don't like the resulting effect, or you must see by all means the signal coming back, then you create a Multi, send one Part to Output 2/3, connect the output back to the Input, configure another Part to process the signal and apply filters again. The feedback signal will be available on Output 1

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

• Well, the saturation setting is just filter overdrive. And although it is impossible to implement feedback straight back to the oscillators in a polyphonic situation, I think that Access have a lot to learn from the effects section of the Ultranova. I want the effect routing and feedback they have there incorporated in the virus!
    The input part feedback trick just might work, if you have split TRS cables, because the sound has to get out somehow, unless you use the headphones or the S/PDIFout for monitoring. Also feeding back through VC using DAW sends might work although the latencies might make it sound more like a delay effect.

• The input part feedback trick just might work, if you have split TRS cables, because the sound has to get out somehow, unless you use the headphones or the S/PDIFout for monitoring. Also feeding back through VC using DAW sends might work although the latencies might make it sound more like a delay effect.

So... in configuration with headphones-out and input connected with cable: is it possible that same part is producing sound (by standard chain: oscillators, filters, fx) and is also fed back with the input it produces (via the headphones-> input feedback loop)?

• Yes, this is possible, but since the headphones are not balanced and the inputs are balanced connectors, you might introduce interference noise into the loop as well as feedback. Just remember that what's creating the feedback is a second patch on another part than the one you want to "brutalize" - an input based patch for which you can use the same filter/LFO/effect settings or different ones. This is why you must use a multi, and set both patches to the same output (must be output 1 in the case of headphones). A constant input mode will keep the feedback going after you have released the keys, and a dynamic input will take the keys into account. I would really love to hear what it sounds like - starting with a patch and slowly raising the brute factor by raising the part volume where the input patch is loaded.

• I was working on a setup which was close enough for me to make a stop along the way and show how the Virus can be utilized when fed back into itself: https://soundcloud.com/flabberbob/feedback-frequency-shift
    The synth is in sequencer mode, with all parts going through output1 in stereo. Part 1 is running SeaThreeHS (A-17 on a TI2 factory bank), part 2 uses static input, no character, simple delay on ~120ms with "effect only" mix and no LFO depth, frequency shifter with effect only mix and +6 shift and patch volume 127. Splitter TRS cables take output1 L+R and feed it into both the soundcard and back into the synth inputs. The tricky part is to balance the main volume and input boost so that the longest tail can be achieved without clipping.
    ----------EDIT-----------
    [soundcloud]

Externer Inhalt soundcloud.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.
    [/soundcloud]