UNISON Lfo Phase doesn't work? Or im deaf?)

• It doesn't change anything AT ALL when you modulate it. I have Virus TI & Virus Powercore and this parameter doesn't work on both.
    Im very experienced sound designer and i know my Virus inside out but maybe there is some secret i don't know? :)
    Try to modulate Lfo Phase parameter in UNISON section and you will see.

• First of all, it is sometimes easier to hear the LFO phase spread if you add pan spread. The thing about modulating unison LFO phase spread is if you start from zero, all the LFO-s reach the peaks at once, but once you cycle through the modulation values and go back to 0 again, the LFO-s are not in sync anymore and the peaks are all over the place. But you may notice that when the modulation value is at 0, there is no change in the "peak pattern" - it continues until the modulation value leaves 0 (e.g. pulse LFO with negative contour - lots of zero there).

• hey flabberbob,

Can you explain that again? Like artech, I've used the virus for a long time now and know it inside out, but this one conrol I have tweeked and not heard an audable difference, even with a reasonable amount of unision detune and spread, which has lead me to leave it and forgot about it until reading this post.

Im struggling to follow your description there, what exactly does it do? Does the virus unsion function interact with the lfo(s) in some way? If you could explain it for dummies id really appreciate.

Cheers

• Here's an example for the LFO phase spread at a constant value. I hope that once you grasp it, it'll make it easier for you when you re-read my previous post in this thread. Let's start from the init patch:
    Slide oscillator volume down to 0.
    Use one of the LFO-s in sawtooth wavform and negative (narrow) contour, to modulate oscillator volume positively, so when played it goes "dink... dink.. dink... dink..." (adjust rate to suit your taste).
    Now add unison, let's try the maximum just for the fun of it.
    When LFO phase spread is at 0 it sounds like "dzink... dzink... dzink..." because of the minor phase cancellation between voices.
    Now slowly increase LFO spread and it will go from "dzink..." to "drrrrink..." to "d-d-d-d-dink..." to "dink-dink-dink-dink-dink-dink..."
    Hope this helps.

P.S. I wonder what will happen if I set the LFO mentined above to be MONO. I should try that when I have time.

• Two things you need to be aware of:

You need to be running the latest version - UnisonLFOPhase was bust for a fair amount of time in the TI, but it is definitely fixed again in the latest version.

You won't hear any difference when you adjust (or modulate) the parameter until you trigger a new note.

• Ah brilliant thanks that's illustrated it perfectly!

So it essentially controls the lfo phase per each unison voice... So it will only be audible if you are using an lfo to modulate something whilst using unison right?

I think because you don't hear it whilst modulating the sound has what left me thinking it does nothing!

Thanks again!

PS setting the lfo to mono has no audible difference (best not trust me though :rolleyes: )

• Two things you need to be aware of:

You need to be running the latest version - UnisonLFOPhase was bust for a fair amount of time in the TI, but it is definitely fixed again in the latest version.

You won't hear any difference when you adjust (or modulate) the parameter until you trigger a new note.

This seems broken again in 5.1.1.0 - the LFO phase offset does not work if the LFO rate is set to clocked.

• Or maybe it's just so suble in the virus it's impossible to hear. With literally every other synth when you enable unison phase it makes a really VERY distinct sound. Like a phasing swooshing sound as the voices/frequencies clash with each other and fight. That's just not the result you get with the virus at all. I really can't hear any difference with it turned up, down, + - 63 either way, nor with an envlope or LFO routed to it.

Shame as it's a very cool sound that should be possible. If you want something similar though, you could always set a delay line or flange time to be routed to an envelope or one shot lfo to create a similar comb filtering effect. . Similar sound, but not quite the same

• Actualy that doesn't work. Envelopes have no effect on chorus delay despite it being an option. If you set it all up as you expect, it has no effect, then if you switch source of modulation to an LFO, it works fine. If you set the destination to anything else it works fine.

None of the envelopes effect phaser frequency or anything else in Phaser, or distortion effects for that matter.

Nor do the envelopes effect anything in delay, or reverb.