Snow with minimal computer use - recommendations?

• Hi everyone, noob user here. Very excited about the cool sounds my Snow is obviously capable of, but as I'm a longtime hardware guy who is having issues even with the basic first steps of integrating it with my Mac Mini, I thought I'd run my situation past you.

I suspect from the Bootcamp videos that to edit sounds effectively I'll need a computer interface at least some of the time. Generally I want to be as computer-free as possible; I have no interest in sequencing my Snow with a DAW, as my Octatrack seems perfectly capable of that. However it appears I may be missing out on a lot of potential if I don't at least get familiar with TI.

On the other hand, I've had a few issues from the outset ... in addition to having difficulty finding and following the manual generally, while trying to adjust GarageBand to accommodate my Snow, I somehow managed to change the settings on my soundcard so it couldn't hear outside inputs. Troubleshooting stole of all my music time this past weekend. I don't mean to rant, I'll be patient :D I'd just very much prefer to use the computer to explore patch creation/editing and then use the Virus as standalone hardware.

So assuming I don't find the answer in this forum's archives:

What's the simplest way to get into deep editing on the Snow, but minimizing the need to learn new software / get a DAW?

Thanks!

• Unfortunately, with the small amount of knobs and buttons, deep editing cannot be simple. If you want to edit patches without using VC, I think the way to go is first to learn what you have (2 full + 2 limited oscillators, 2 filters, amp and filter envelopes, 3 LFO-s, modulation matrix, part effects, etc.) and where to find everything in the menus. Then think of a sound, try to describe it on paper as a diagram of signal and control paths, then write down the steps needed to implement this diagram on the Snow.

• Lets be honest here.. editing on the snow without VC will be an exercise in long winded futility..
    But that does not mean you need garageband or any DAW to be runnning.. Find a mac compatible VST host.. VSTHost, miniHost, cantabile lite.. or similar.. these hosts are simply shells that wrap VC to allow its operation standalone.