Any advantage to Polar over Desktop?

• Within the next couple weeks I'll be acquiring a Virus TI2 of some kind, but I am seriously stuck as to whether to go with the Desktop or the Polar. My workspace only has room for a single keyboard. At the moment, I'm using an AKAI MPK49 with upgraded pads, which I love. The MPK49 just barely fits where it is now, so the TI2 keyboard is out of the question.

I have a little shelf space where a TI2 Desktop would fit just a few inches out of comfortable reach, or I could replace my MPK49 with a Polar- but I wouldn't be happy about losing access to all my banks of knobs, faders, and pads.

So, I have two questions that will help make this decision easier:

• Am I going to be at a disadvantage not having the TI2 Desktop controls and display right in front of me when I'm working, or is that stuff mainly for designing/tweaking patches?
    • Is there any performance difference between the Polar and Desktop, in terms of tracking/recording? Specifically, would I be more at risk of hitting recording latency when controlling a TI2 Desktop from my MPK49 than I would playing a Polar's built-in keyboard? I have lots of VSTis, which work just fine, latency-wise, for live recording from the MIDI controller, and several non-USB vintage MIDI external instruments where you can just barely feel the gap. I've never used a modern USB external synth before, so I don't know what to expect in terms of live play.

Thanks!

• Am I going to be at a disadvantage not having the TI2 Desktop controls and display right in front of me when I'm working, or is that stuff mainly for designing/tweaking patches?

If you'll be using the Virus from the computer, you don't really need direct access to the knobs. You can use the VC instead.

Is there any performance difference between the Polar and Desktop, in terms of tracking/recording? Specifically, would I be more at risk of hitting recording latency when controlling a TI2 Desktop from my MPK49 than I would playing a Polar's built-in keyboard? I have lots of VSTis, which work just fine, latency-wise, for live recording from the MIDI controller, and several non-USB vintage MIDI external instruments where you can just barely feel the gap. I've never used a modern USB external synth before, so I don't know what to expect in terms of live play.

There's no difference in performance but the MIDI data would go from Akai -> computer -> Virus except if you directly connect a MIDI cable between the Akai and the Virus.

If money is no object, I would buy the Pølar because the keybed is great (also with after touch) and right now I'm lying in the bed with my Virus and headphones. No need to have a computer (I'm writing from my iPod), no need to have a controller and MIDI cables and now I have direct access to design sounds an to play immediately. I usually play 88 keys (weighted action) but I really like this format (37 keys) because of the portability.

Once I also had a Snow but didn't like it because the lack of keys (I got a template for my controllers, therefore the lack of knobs was no real issue) I tried many controllers and I never liked the feel of the action, except for the Novation ReMOTE and the Akai MPK (but I think Virus is better). However, I didn't like the requirement to plug the Snow, plug the MIDI cable, power on the controller just to play.

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von MarPabl ()

• Once I also had a Snow but didn't like it because the lack of keys (I got a template for my controllers, therefore the lack of knobs was no real issue) I tried many controllers and I never liked the feel of the action, except for the Novation ReMOTE and the Akai MPK (but I think Virus is better). However, I didn't like the requirement to plug the Snow, plug the MIDI cable, power on the controller just to play.

Hmm. I guess I ought to see if any local stores have a Polar floor model I can try out. I really like the MPK's keys (most other keybeds feel too loose for me). I'd better see how the Polar feels, because that could seal the deal one way or the other. Thanks!

• The keys have some plastic pieces below which I think allow for a semi weighted or a more solid feel. When I was looking for controllers, my main decision point was the feel of the action. Everything else was secondary to me.

I don't like springy, loose, noisy or cheap actions. The action of the virus indeed qualify pretty high and this considering I prefer high quality weighted actions. I also like the Akai action, so maybe we share preferences regarding a good keybed. It's likely you'll love the action of the Virus.

For sure your best bet is the Pølar.

Access Virus TI2 Polar Darkstar, Korg Kronos 88, Roland MB-8800 :thumbup:

• It was about 18 months ago I was having this debate with myself, I was also weighting up should I buy just a desktop or just a polar?

Both machines are identical, other than their colours and the fact the polar has a keyboard, they both have the exact same programming interface and both ship with the same pre sets. So the only thing the Polar has on the Desktop is the keyboard. With all this said though while using the Polar with USB in your DAW the Polar can also be used as a MIDI keyboard, and I have got to say the Polars keyboard is the nicest keyboard I've played on yet!

It all boils down to your requirement at the end of the day, oh and the Polar is also awesome for live performance!

• +1 for the desktop.
    I have a ti2 keyboard and it's amazing but the way my setup is set up I have to spin 90 degrees to the right to use it. The VC plugin is amazing but it actually works a lot better if you are twiddling knobs too, desktop is pretty small and will sit on your desk :>
    That said the keys on the virus are absolutely amazing. Pads are also cool though, a must for programming drums imo.

• I have a ti2 keyboard and it's amazing but the way my setup is set up I have to spin 90 degrees to the right to use it. The VC plugin is amazing but it actually works a lot better if you are twiddling knobs too, desktop is pretty small and will sit on your desk :>
    That said the keys on the virus are absolutely amazing. Pads are also cool though, a must for programming drums imo.

I am a Cubase user as well. Do you find your Polar behaves well for playing live parts while recording? This is my biggest concern (with both the polar AND desktop). I keep seeing people complain about tracking delay with Virus synths- but it's tough to tell how much of that is the Virus, and how much is the PC/interface of the given user.